IGNORED

Sandbar by the Sea (last night)

I am coming home, to Jomtien I mean. I have been away since May 1st. I looked at the Sandbar's FB page and was pleased to see that the Soul Mates are still in the night time music lineup. Really like the band. I noticed that there is a scheduled night for the Soul Mates Duo. Anybody know what that is?

Yes , its Helmut ,the lead guitar player , and CJ , the female vocalist ..they do quite a few mid week " pub gigs" where theres not enough room, or full band is not economically viable ..
They do great show .
CJ replaced Maricel. The previous filipina vocalist .

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 16/09/2018 at 11:34, gusincebu said:

Yes , its Helmut ,the lead guitar player , and CJ , the female vocalist ..they do quite a few mid week " pub gigs" where theres not enough room, or full band is not economically viable ..
They do great show .
CJ replaced Maricel. The previous filipina vocalist .

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

CJ, great girl, class act with Helmut for getting people up to dance

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

So on to the food ...

great late lunch at Sandbar in Jomtien. The New Zealand Ribeye was delicious, the equal of any I've had recently short of the fine dining establishments. 495฿. Decent prawn fried rice, cocktails, desserts, prices in line with the beach front location. Great lazy day, it's times like this that you realise Thailand is unbeatable. 

FA9A9753-0A15-4ACA-BAC3-43922E53CA81.jpeg

95B2520F-1222-42A5-A64B-1792CE7AFE57.jpeg

7BC96C6F-2BB0-48FB-BAD8-A011C2F59FC3.jpeg

D2122DE4-1632-4F61-93E4-6DE1ED33D8EC.jpeg

• Like 3

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

A night visit..

”Went for the traditional soul and jazz which was excellent, but ended up demolishing one of the best lamb racks I've eaten in Thailand. Entirely unexpected because Sandbar By The Sea is not exactly a classic restaurant, more of an entertainment centre orchestrated by the very professional Stanley Pao, covering everything from breakfast to cocktails to dinner with dancing and live music three nights a week.

These lamb chops didn't look as if they'd originated from animals on a starvation diet since birth, often the case here. They were big, plump, tender, and full of flavour. Creamy spinach and buttery mash sides, plenty of Mint sauce. Delicious. 450฿, great value.

Just about had room for dessert - apple tart with cream, vanilla Ice cream, and what looked like most of a fresh apple on the side. 160฿, great value.

Drinks are reasonably priced, including wines from about 1100฿.

Especially given the great location, and quality entertainment, top value. Highly recommended.”

F5226B62-421C-464D-82F4-6258DE13AE35.jpeg

122DDCD0-82C3-4ADB-A418-FC75478CD72B.jpeg

AD04A5F6-31B6-40D6-A915-1C384383729E.jpeg

• Like 2

I know the buffet breakfast has come in for some stick, but I always choose one of the sets - eg their English breakfast - pictured.

For a prime beachside location the prices are more than fair. The staff smile and chat. The food is very good. Stanley himself is usually around to check on how things are going, have a word with the customers. From the excellently priced set breakfast menu (includes juice, toast and coffee or tea from the buffet) this morning at 8am I opted for the English at 180฿. Streaky bacon, tasty sausage, loads of fresh mushrooms, beans, two eggs, grilled tomato lightly salted and peppered first, all piping hot. Premium coffee is extra (at full cost) however. Quality though.

I've been at different times of day, late afternoons for cocktails, great steaks early evening, the wonderful atmosphere of the weekend music nights with the likes of Helmut Shatner and Cjarah (Ceejay) in the Soulmates Band. For me, If you feel the need to escape the Pattaya scene, Sandbar makes a very welcome change.

07DAD350-53B2-45FC-962A-5BF29119685B.jpeg

0CF2A102-987F-48D3-8486-90783EEC84EC.jpeg

9E666A45-C7C5-4872-BE67-23F0069F6A85.jpeg

• Like 2

Booked in for New years Eve, with a good crew ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TWD said:

A night visit..

”Went for the traditional soul and jazz which was excellent, but ended up demolishing one of the best lamb racks I've eaten in Thailand. Entirely unexpected because Sandbar By The Sea is not exactly a classic restaurant, more of an entertainment centre orchestrated by the very professional Stanley Pao, covering everything from breakfast to cocktails to dinner with dancing and live music three nights a week.

Especially given the great location, and quality entertainment, top value. Highly recommended.”

I have had the rack of lamb and it is indeed very good. I often order the fish dishes (trying to drop a few kilos these days) and they are quite good as well, especially the grilled salmon. Their pork chop entree is also tasty. All in all, I agree they have good food and entertainment at a prime location and it is not all that expensive.

Stanly and his partner are quite accommodating. We held a surprise birthday party here for my GF's sister and they made a good effort to make it a memorable night. This was a commendable effort on their part, as the guest list included me and 7 ladies. Let us say that the logistics were fluid at times. :)

2 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Booked in for New years Eve, with a good crew ..

Have a great time. We are going up to the Khon Kaen area for a few days.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Went to the Sandbar tonight to see the Soulmates and have dinner. Had a good time and the band was great as usual, but I noticed some changes that I feel distract from the place. These were:

• The menu seems to have been shortened and several of my favorite items are gone.
  • The stage has been moved to the back (ok with this and it was a good idea), but they have added extra tables to the point that the tables are too crowded.
  • And OMG, Helmet did not wear his hat. What is with that? I meant to ask him, but the man was busy working.

We had a good time, but if they continue this direction ------

hmmmm - I wish I had that last post back.

The conditions I described can be true on a night where they have a popular band that draws a crowd, such as the Soulmates, but that should be expected. They get a lot of reservations for those nights and need to do their best to accommodate their regular customers. We stopped in tonight on a non-music night and the seating is comfortably spread out, the full menu is available and the service is great. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

just got back into town (Jomtien) a few days ago. I noticed that the Soulmates are not listed on the June band schedule for the Sandbar. Anybody know what the situation is?

just got back into town (Jomtien) a few days ago. I noticed that the Soulmates are not listed on the June band schedule for the Sandbar. Anybody know what the situation is?

Lost track of the full band too .. they seem to be busy in their smaller formats.
Last time I was at Sandbar it was just Jayson,the keyboard player ,and 2 Pinoy girl singers .
The last full band gig I'm aware of was a mid week one at The Lion Pub.
The Helmut / CJ duo play at Akvavit Restaurant just along Jomtien beach road , must be corner of soi Whitehouse.. ,I think Fridays .. need to check that .
( They ,the duo, also have regular weekly gigs at Scooters ,Soi buakow ,and the Classroom bar. )

• 1 year later...

Sandbar is temporarily closed due to "emergency electrical repairs".

They are scheduled to reopen next Friday October 23rd. They have music scheduled for both next Saturday and Sunday nights.

• 1 year later...

FYI

08A62DE3-C48A-44E8-BC23-27541E3218CD.jpeg

• Like 3

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”