IGNORED

Transferring Thai visa to new passport

wingcom1

Visas are not transferred. If you are really referring to an extension of stay they do transfer those. A visa in the old passport is still valid until it's expiration date, you just show both passports.

When you receive your new passport you should get a paper from the embassy asking immigration to transfer any relevant stamps.

For any transfers just go to Jomtien immigration and tell them what you need. It's a routine service they do all the time.

When I renewed my passport at the US Embassy I asked for a letter that they provide which asked Thai Immigration to transfer my visa. My visa is the one that is needed to renew my retirement extension and when I did it this past August it was the 2nd time that it had been transferred, the first back in 2008.  No cost, drop it off and pick it up the next day.

Just now, Cerberus said:

Be aware you may be asked to provide a letter from your embassy to facilitate the transfer.

They provided me with a letter so I'm hoping that's it. Appreciate the heads up.

Try Thai Visa Express if you don’t mind paying and don’t want to make the Immigration visit(s) yourself. They arranged my visa/extension/re-entry permit transfer for me for 1000 Baht. Just collected from their office the next day.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Be aware you may be asked to provide a letter from your embassy to facilitate the transfer.

19 hours ago, Goolabert said:

Visas are not transferred. If you are really referring to an extension of stay they do transfer those. A visa in the old passport is still valid until it's expiration date, you just show both passports.

When you receive your new passport you should get a paper from the embassy asking immigration to transfer any relevant stamps.

My Non-O visa was transferred, even though it was years out of date.

I didn't have a letter from my embassy. Immigration told me to go to Key Visa opposite Big C Pattaya Tai to get one. Went into the office and was given a photocopy of the letter/form already signed by the British vice consul. Charged 150 baht by Key Visa.

Returned to immigration and asked the guy to help me fill the form/letter in. Didn't even have my name on it. He just took the letter/form from me and said "No need to fill it in". Just a little scam worked by Key Visa/Immigration.

Immigration doesn't transfer visas.  They may have transferred an "admitted until" stamp with "Non-O" entered on it to document that your one year extension of stay was based on Non-O visa but the visa itself is not transferred.

A visa is a full page sticker and I doubt that is what you are talking about.

2 hours ago, Goolabert said:

Immigration doesn't transfer visas.  They may have transferred an "admitted until" stamp with "Non-O" entered on it to document that your one year extension of stay was based on Non-O visa but the visa itself is not transferred.

A visa is a full page sticker and I doubt that is what you are talking about.

When I took my new passport into Jomtien Immigration along with my letter from the US Embassy this past August and picked it up the following day, it had numerous stamps that took up the first 2 pages of my passport. 

30 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

When I took my new passport into Jomtien Immigration along with my letter from the US Embassy this past August and picked it up the following day, it had numerous stamps that took up the first 2 pages of my passport. 

Same for me. I believe they do all of them to show the continuity of back to back extensions that started from the last non-O (or other type) visa. I have 11 annual extension in a row and my  last visa expired over 10 years ago and is in my old passport.

It doesn't really matter if someone doesn't know what can and what can't be transferred as immigration will transfer the appropriate stamps. Worst case is a wasted trip to the immigration office and have them tell you nothing needs to be transferred.

The original visa, your retirement extensions are based on, is handwritten transferred to a corresponding stamp (they apply) in the new passport. Its a very easy straight forward process at the immigration in Jomtien if you have the paper from your Embassy. No need to use an agency.

• Like 2

I did the transfer in Rayong as I was in the area on business. No letter from the embassy but a form to fill in at the desk. They wanted me to leave both passports with them and return the next day. Instead, I was able to pay a 500bht 'acceleration fee'  :-0

All done in 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

The transfer of the stamp to the new passport and the ease of doing it depends on which immigration office you go to!  When I went and asked them to do this the immigration officer asked for the two passports and then asked for 500 baht!  I said I was sure it was a free service, she said only if we do certain checks on you.  I asked for my passports back and she said it would cost me 500 baht to get them back!   Walked out of immigration without my passports and drove the two hours home where my wife was waiting.  Immigration had phoned her to tell me to collect my passports before 4-30pm that day, it was already after that when I arrived home.  Went back after a week or so and was handed back the passports but the immigration officer that dealt with this went and hid, I saw her go!

As for the letter from the embassy when you collect your new passport it is not easy for UK nationals as the British embassy does not have anything to do with the issue of new passports, it has all been farmed out to a private company.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png