IGNORED

How often for oil change schooter?

jimboh

I've been driving a Click here for over ten years now but I only do a few thousand km a year so I've worked on the basis of changing the oil once a year. I do it when the por-ror-bor tax is due in February as it's easy to remember then. I've never had any problems with the Click so I must be doing something right. If you're doing a lot more mileage though then I think you need to change the oil every 4000 km according to Honda.

• 4 weeks later...

I rent scooter out long term.. on 3 month rolling contracts 

I do an oil change every 3 months .. its so cheap . why wouldn't you !!!

Same here, every 3 months. My 90 day report is my reminder to change the oil.

I do mine annually and change filters and plug at the same time. Doesn't do much mileage.

If you're Thai - never!

From new the Clicl needs an oil change at 1000km, then 4000km. 200 baht for an oil change. After that i haven't checked, possibly every 4000km

I bought mine new (wave 125i)  and it came with a maintenance book that has a schedule for oil changes and other maintenance checks based on mileage (kilometerage?). After the first year or so of doing them at random times I now try to go by the scheduled intervals. I think it is about 3000k. 

The extra checks due include things like checking the tightness of the chain and other shit I can't remember. All very cheap.

Every 4000 km after the first. I do mine annually although dont get anywhere like 4000km done.

As has been pointed out it costs approx 200 Baht and takes a few minutes.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I use my motorbike a lot, so I change the oil the same month I'm due for my 90 day reporting, 180 baht, And I use the same shop every time so it builds up a rapport with the workers and they never rip me off when I need other work done.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on the bike, and use, but best to follow manufacturers recommendations. Bear in mind that oil can deteriorate with age, so if you are not doing many km, then you should still keep up on the changes, at least a couple or three times a year.

Plain camshaft bearings, for instance, depend on a flow of good quality oil, thus needs changes more frequently. If the engine has  roller bearings for the camshaft you can get away with less frequent changes.

For my 21 year-old Honda Dream 100 (with over 272,500 km on the clock)  I get the oil changed every couple of months or 2,000 km..... Costs 110 baht for that and a general check over.

For more modern scoots the recommendation is generally 4,000 km or three months between oil changes.

Keep up the basic routine maintenance and you will get many years out of a bike. Mine is reliable and runs fine, getting better than 55 km/litre / 150 mpg (UK)

I'm in the every 4,000km group. The exception being first at 1000km, then second 3,000km later so 4,000km on the odometer. :-)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My honda click needs an oil change at 1k then 4k. How often do guys get your scooters serviced?

I do all my checks at the Honda shop so same-same. Every 4k for the oil, and whatever else is needed. Shop rate for labor is so darn cheap it's not worth me wrenching on it. (And I don't find wrenching on my bikes or truck particularly fun.)

I do all my checks at the Honda shop so same-same. Every 4k for the oil, and whatever else is needed. Shop rate for labor is so darn cheap it's not worth me wrenching on it. (And I don't find wrenching on my bikes or truck particularly fun.)

So do you ask for a service the same time? In Mityon Pattaya it was 200 baht for the 1k oil change. How much is a service?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Garzan said:

So do you ask for a service the same time? In Mityon Pattaya it was 200 baht for the 1k oil change. How much is a service?

They do whatever is listed for the servicing for whatever the kms are; 1K, 4K, 8K, 12K, etc. Honestly, is enough of a trivial amount that I don't really remember. Doesn't seem like it's much more than 500 or 600b. Less than the cost of a Sapphire Barfine, and lasts much longer, to put it in one perspective. :-)

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 hours ago, Garzan said:

If you are going to major dealerships, try looking at the boards on their walls, like most dealerships, if it's a car or motorbike, they list the services required at what intervals AND the prices (it might be broken English, but a smart person can connect the dots).  If you are going to the small street shops, just ask them.  Oil; Kee duan/kilomeet?  Filter; Kee duan/kilomeet? Spark; Kee pee/kilomeet?

An expat in Thailand needing spoon fed info is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you are going to major dealerships, try looking at the boards on their walls, like most dealerships, if it's a car or motorbike, they list the services required at what intervals AND the prices (it might be broken English, but a smart person can connect the dots).  If you are going to the small street shops, just ask them.  Oil; Kee duan/kilomeet?  Filter; Kee duan/kilomeet? Spark; Kee pee/kilomeet?
An expat in Thailand needing spoon fed info is a disaster waiting to happen.
It was just a simple question, i thought someone would know how much a service is

15 hours ago, Garzan said:

Less than the cost of a Sapphire Barfine, and lasts much longer, to put it in one perspective. :-)

Almost everything is less than the cost of a Sapphire barfine.

A Thai service is just an oil change which is all most Thai motorbike shop will do. You have to specifically ask for extra stuff to be done, and see the surprised look on their faces, 555.

Every 2nd or 3rd scheduled service (8000 or 12000kms) it is advisable to change spark plug, air filter and oil filter if there is one. For most bikes this will still cost only 500 or 600 bht.

11 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

An Expat in Thailand needing spoon fed info is a disaster waiting to happen.

What they are going (supposed) to do is all in the owners service booklet, and also checked off on the servicing receipt. What is this "spoon feeding" you are talking about? Taking a bike to factory certified mechanics and a factory authorized dealer? If that is "spoon feeding" then I'll happily continue on with it. 

Oh, Mityon isn't in Udon, though I did use their service department when I lived in Pattaya.

Archived