IGNORED

Tourist USA Visa

griz30

A little bit if an odd ball question.  My mother in law has a tourist visa and she is visiting for 6 months.  What happenes if she stays a week beyond the 6 months?  How would anyone know?

A little bit if an odd ball question.  My mother in law has a tourist visa and she is visiting for 6 months.  What happenes if she stays a week beyond the 6 months?  How would anyone know?
there is an exit date stamped along with thr entry date. it will be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yeah...but who checks the passport leaving the US?

Just to clarify; your mother in law is Thai and the visa is to the US?

If so, like any other place in the world, I would expect the computer system will flag her as an overstayer on leaving.

Yes, she is Thai and has USA Visa.  US immigration stamped her passport for 6 months.  But what I don't get is if she stayed a week over her 6 months who would know?  You don't go through immigration when you leave the states and the airline only gives you tickets and verifies your name match the passport.   Sure the computer system in US customs would say her 6 months is up, but they aren't coming to the door.

3 minutes ago, griz30 said:

Yes, she is Thai and has USA Visa.  US immigration stamped her passport for 6 months.  But what I don't get is if she stayed a week over her 6 months who would know?  You don't go through immigration when you leave the states and the airline only gives you tickets and verifies your name match the passport.   Sure the computer system in US customs would say her 6 months is up, but they aren't coming to the door.

Is the USA the only country in the world where Immigration doesn’t check passports on exit?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I'm fairly certain nothing would happen to her. Although it's a crime to illegally enter the country I don't think there is a criminal penalty for over staying a visa.  A short overstay most likely wouldn't impact her ability to secure another visa at a later date either. A longer overstay may see her barrred from entering the US.  But why chance it.

If she is leaving Thailand on a return flight I would guess there may be some chance the airline wouldn't let her fly if the return date exceeds her visa length.  So again, why even chance it. 

Yeah I agree...it was just the timing was inconvient.

It will be obvious she overstayed when she either uses the visa again if it's a multiple entry. Or if she applies for a new one.

In either case they would probably check her passports stamps and see the leaving Thailand and re-entering Thailand. If those stamps are 97 days apart and there are no in/out stamps in between those then they know she overstayed.

U.S. Immigration may not make something out of her overstay when she leaves but maybe it will become an issue the next time she wants Visa. I wouldn't chance it for one week.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Archived