Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Vaccinations

PGSTC776

Just getting all my travel vaccinations in order, and there is one that is listed as recommended, but not required by CDC.  It also happens to be one not covered by my insurance, and really, really pricey.  Japanese Encephalitis.

I've gotten Typhoid, Hep A and B, Tetanus booster, but I'm on the fence on this one.  CDC says it's recommended if you're going to go to rural areas where there are a lot of rice fields.  I'll be sticking to Bangkok and Pattaya, so it would seem my risk of exposure is relatively low.

Curious if anyone on here has gotten it.

Just getting all my travel vaccinations in order, and there is one that is listed as recommended, but not required by CDC.  It also happens to be one not covered by my insurance, and really, really pricey.  Japanese Encephalitis.
I've gotten Typhoid, Hep A and B, Tetanus booster, but I'm on the fence on this one.  CDC says it's recommended if you're going to go to rural areas where there are a lot of rice fields.  I'll be sticking to Bangkok and Pattaya, so it would seem my risk of exposure is relatively low.
Curious if anyone on here has gotten it.
I got one the first time that I went to Thailand three years ago. Insurance paid for the first shot. I believe you are supposed to get a second one shortly thereafter. I never got the second one due to tons of bullshit with the pharmacy and insurance.

All that being said, I was fine. I have yet to be bitten by a mosquito in three trips. I have only been to Bangkok and Pattaya myself. I have never ventured far from the tourist/bar areas in either city. I think you will be fine skipping it. I don't think the disease is easy to come by in Bangkok or Pattaya.

I also got typhoid, Hep A and Hep B shots before the first trip. So far, so good. I think a lot of people would say that we are worrying too much, but, the vaccinations were free, so why not get them? I was sure happy that I had them when I was wading through flood waters with overflowing sewers during the tropical storm that hit in September 2015.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hep A and B are a very good idea if you're mongering. However, you should check your immunity status on them.

For a certain percentage of people, the Hep B vaccine does not take. The first one I had (3 doses at intervals of 1 month, 3 months and 6 months) produced no antibodies. I had to take a second series of vaccinations for Hep B in order to start producing antibodies.

Never even heard of anyone who has gotten Japanese Encephalitis to be honest.

I have a similar vacc profile to you and also considered Yellow Fev and Jap enceph, but since not much time out in the Jungle parts opted not too.  I may study and look further into it if next trip may involve more isolated areas though and will follow here for others input.    If your research and your interpretation decides your mind that you want it, price should not be the question, actual need and safety net it provides should be determining factors. 

Also, if any Hep is at 10 year mark, getting a titters test to verify their effectiveness is a good idea.  I did mine at the 11 year mark and they are still good. 

Yeah, the available data suggests it might be unnecessary (Japanese Encephalitis), just doing a cost/risk evaluation I'm inclined not to get it at $380 per shot (two required), but I just found out my insurance company WILL pay for it after all, so I'm going to go ahead and get it for sure.

Cholera is another "optional" one in the same sort of risk category if you're careful about where you eat.  Hopefully I can convince them to pay for that one too, otherwise I'll go without.

Like others i had

Hep a/b
Typhoid
Tetanus

Also the flu jab, only time ive ever had it

Archived