IGNORED

Dunhill lighter

elbenvillas

Around 1981 I bought a l8k gold plated Dunhill lighter in San Francisco, California.  Cost at that point in a Dunhill store was around usd 150 if memory serves me right.

I used it for around ten years, had it serviced through that store twice, where they would send it out to be serviced to their service center.

I found it lying around, unused for a good 28 years.  Still looks good, still works, though i havent filled it with gas, when clicked there is a spark.  A bit worn looking.

I am hoping someone will know where in Pattaya I can find a store that sells and services upscale lighters.,  I have not found any on the internet.

thanks .  Attached is a photo of the lighter as it looks now.

Ez

image.jpeg.427f8f152f07ec5deb967c3a9a0c5d0b.jpeg

You trying to sell it or get it Repaired? Several Tobacco shops can give you advice...Gas is in most supermarkets try to fill it first to see if it leaks.

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

sorry I can't be of help. But that lighter is sweet. Is it the same model Sean Connery used in Dr No in the opening scene of the series?

yes  i think it is the same lighter that 007 used in the Bond movie.

Nowadays i use the Bic lighters which i tend to lose about two a week, so dont want to lose this dunhill.

I think i looked at the price for a similar lighter around ten years ago, and couldnt believe what they were asking for it back then in San Francisco. 

I will try to get it serviced, get that old shine back and then if anyone is interested, perhaps sell it, or if i cant, will keep it as a momento of back when i was a young buck.

thanks all

ez

13 hours ago, Hamchang said:

Funny - I have exactly the same one. 

how long ago did you buy yours and where?  Can I ask what you paid for it?

I bought mine back in l981 from the Dunhill store at the corner of Grant street near the Grand Hyatt in the San Francisco Union Square area for usd 150 or so.

ez

rolls royce of lighters...

i have same one for 30 yrs...

blow it out with pressure air and replace flint and ad new gas....

my works first flip every time...love it.

I have one that was bought for my 21st back in 1971, i gave it to my son when i moved to Thailand.

Fantastic piece of engineering imo, but very heavy on the pocket.

3 hours ago, elbenvillas said:

how long ago did you buy yours and where?  Can I ask what you paid for it?

I bought mine back in l981 from the Dunhill store at the corner of Grant street near the Grand Hyatt in the San Francisco Union Square area for usd 150 or so.

ez

got it from my Dad, so no idea. It would have been prior to 81 though as he'd stopped smoking by then. Would have been bought in Duty Free at some airport or other or in the middle east. Likely Heathrow though. They most certainly are not rare though. I recall having it serviced in the 1990's in Bath, UK, and the bloke said there were heaps of them about. Mint condition with a the box it came in today, you'd be lucky to get 100-150 quid for it. 

I remember knocking one off from my old mans draw when I was starting to smoke when I was 13-14. Probably lost it or knocked. He probably thought he lost pissed somewhere. Like half the smokes I lifted off him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems we all got had or lost one of these beauties 

Think I lost mine but really should try hunt it out 

As has been said heavy on the pocket but lovely piece of engineering lights on first roll or least did.

The going to garage is good advice blow it out done that with others and always seemed to work

thanks all for the input.

i will just have it serviced and use it myself.

cheers

ez

Archived