IGNORED

Guest access for 3BB router

jmooney

Hi all

Does anyone know if the H168N 3BB router can be set up for guest wifi access?

If so how is it done?

My mate is trying to set it up but can't find anything in English for their routers.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The affordable, professional, reliable construction company.

https://www.togetherconstructionthailand.com/

3BB set mine up for me when they installed the cable. I gave them a password I wanted  and it has not changed in the 3 addresses I have had here. If in doubt call them. I have had nothing but prompt and efficient service . Have had 5 devices slaving off it once. Guests and neighbours the lot.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

3BB set mine up for me when they installed the cable. I gave them a password I wanted  and it has not changed in the 3 addresses I have had here. If in doubt call them. I have had nothing but prompt and efficient service . Have had 5 devices slaving off it once. Guests and neighbours the lot.

That's odd [emoji848]

They were out today doing an install for a neighbour and I asked them about it. The boss said not possible unless we install a separate router and connection.

My Mrs explained that it's possible to have a second password on one router and again he insisted that it wasn't.

Did u watch them do it, if so what did they do?

Thanks

When you say 5 devices do you just mean 5 devices connected to your wifi?

All using the same user and pass ?

I have a 3BB HG630 modem-router which offers only one wifi network which I have completely deactivated along with the DHCP service. I use it as gateway for a much better router that does offer multiple wifi networks, including guest networks.

Have you tried to enter the IPs 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 with Firefox or IE and then tried one those 2 passwords: admin/admin or admin/3bb ?

14 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Have you tried to enter the IPs 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 with Firefox or IE and then tried one those 2 passwords: admin/admin or admin/3bb ?

Or admin/password.

jmooney, perhaps what the 3BB people were trying to say is to set up multiple accounts you need another router with WiFi configured as an access point.

While I'm not on 3BB, I use True and that's how I have my home system set up. The True router sits upstairs in a spare bedroom I use as an office. The access point is downstairs with an Ethernet connection running back to the True router. I have the access point configured with two accounts, one for guests that I give the guest password to, and another account that is used to connect to multiple security cameras around the house.

39 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

While I'm not on 3BB, I use True and that's how I have my home system set up. The True router sits upstairs in a spare bedroom I use as an office. The access point is downstairs with an Ethernet connection running back to the True router.

So your access point is connected with an Ethernet cable (100mbs maximum... maybe only 10mbs with a long cable) from downstair to your office bedroom ?

Your 2nd router (downstair) configured as a "repeater" should be better I think:

- no more etherner cables

- better speed (300mbs TRUE modem => 300 mbs repeater instead of 100mbs ethernet calbe => 300mbs access point)

That's my configuration to have a high speed internet everywhere in my garden. I dont need an additional guess account, I trust my friends, I can give them my WIFI password.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:45, jmooney said:

Does anyone know if the H168N 3BB router can be set up for guest wifi access?

Hi. I don't have this exact router so I cannot say, but most routers I saw here allow to configure 1 or several guest accesses. I use 3BB too and the 2 modem-router I got had this facility.

I checked mine and it's done by offering several SSID-[123] in addition to the main SSID. Each SSID-I will give access to Internet using the same 3BB account, but will require a different password to connect to WiFi.

Probably somewhere in the WLAN Configuration options from http://192.168.1.1

22 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

So your access point is connected with an Ethernet cable (100mbs maximum... maybe only 10mbs with a long cable) from downstair to your office bedroom ?

Your 2nd router (downstair) configured as a "repeater" should be better I think:

- no more etherner cables

- better speed (300mbs TRUE modem => 300 mbs repeater instead of 100mbs ethernet calbe => 300mbs access point)

That's my configuration to have a high speed internet everywhere in my garden. I dont need an additional guess account, I trust my friends, I can give them my WIFI password.

The materials used in the construction of the house doesn't lend itself to strong WiFi over much distance, thus the Ethernet run to the access point. Main reason I added the AP in the first place was due to the poor signal reception when I tried using the security cameras via WiFi. At first I thought I could get away with adding the AP and still use WiFi to the cameras, but the video was still jerky due to poor WiFi reception. Could have been the d-link cameras' shitty WiFi antenna, but tying the cameras to the AP using Ethernet connections resolved that problem.

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

At first I thought I could get away with adding the AP and still use WiFi to the cameras, but the video was still jerky due to poor WiFi reception.

Yes I understand your issue, I had also the same problem (poor signal in my garden).

A "repeater" will extend the WIFI signal, that's just an easy configuration of your modem "B" downstair:

- your cameras will connect to your modem "B"

- password will the same as your modem "A" upstair

If you can access the hub for it - http://192.168.1.1/3bb shoudl access it, you might be able to split 2.4 ghtz and 5ghtz. You keep 2.4 for yourself, with your own personal log in, and 5ghtz for guests, calling it a different name such as "SexyA-LevelBar-WIFI" or what ever it needs to be, and that has a separate password as well. You can usually put limits on it to give one more bandwidth than the other etc. Might work. 

On 05/02/2018 at 14:38, Spellforce said:

Cat6 cables (or even Cat5 cables over moderate distances) should have no trouble maintaining gigabit speeds over 100m which should cover most normal houses. Wifi is the poor relation here, I'm afraid.

Personally I use Powerlan within my condo to link my gateway to my gigabit router (apart from that link my entire internal network is gigabit) and that can easily handle the 50mbs of my VDSL connection. I doubt that it would have much trouble coping with any domestic Thai fibre connection either.

If you can access the hub for it - http://192.168.1.1/3bb shoudl access it, you might be able to split 2.4 ghtz and 5ghtz. You keep 2.4 for yourself, with your own personal log in, and 5ghtz for guests, calling it a different name such as "SexyA-LevelBar-WIFI" or what ever it needs to be, and that has a separate password as well. You can usually put limits on it to give one more bandwidth than the other etc. Might work. 

I can access the hub but have no idea what to look for or how to configure it [emoji23][emoji24]

Hi. I don't have this exact router so I cannot say, but most routers I saw here allow to configure 1 or several guest accesses. I use 3BB too and the 2 modem-router I got had this facility.
I checked mine and it's done by offering several SSID-[123] in addition to the main SSID. Each SSID-I will give access to Internet using the same 3BB account, but will require a different password to connect to WiFi.
Probably somewhere in the WLAN Configuration options from http://192.168.1.1

Any chance u could talk me through the set up?
I can access the hub but no idea what to look for or how to configure it [emoji13]

Archived