IGNORED

Bay Breeze review Jan 8-13

xc1

This is the only hotel I have stayed at in Pattaya as this was my first trip so I can’t compare to anything else local. Normally on travel anywhere else I prefer to stay in  mid to lower high end hotels  (Marriott, doubletree etc)For this trip I originally booked August Suites but a last minute flight and date change had me switch as August could not accommodate the change. For the first 2 days of my trip I stayed at the s15 on sukhomvit in Bangkok for about  25 usd more a night and a much higher level off overall service. I was very  happy and will stay there again.  

For the Bay Breeze i stayed in the eight floor 2 room suite. It appears there are 2 such rooms with another located on the 9th floor. I likely paid slightly more than normal as I booked thru Agoda with less than a week to go at approximately 60 usd a night all in. 

My first observation was the room matched agoda and wasn’t beat to heck which was nice. I also was surprised to have a small ocean view from the living room windows that open to Second.  Both balconies point toward Walking Street with rooftops for views but I spent little time there anyway. It was strange there was only one table and chair on one balcony with nothing on the other however I suspect if I cared and asked I could have gotten more. I saw some being moved around from rooms one day on my way out. 

The bed while possibly firm for some was fine for me. I saw mattress pads in the hall one day so they will accommodate you but I slept fine. Maid service was good but I am a tipper and every morning they saw me leaving someone would rush to clean it.

There are 2 separate AC units so you can cool down relatively quickly. 

The room had a stocked fridge in the living area and another smaller fridge in the bedroom. Both stocked identical with 2 Chang, 2 Singha, 2 Heineken, some wine cooler and sodas. The larger fridge had free space for personal items. I drank 2beers and while the staff took the empties they did not replace that day and I’m not sure what they charge as I later bought a 6 pack to replace and there was no charge on departure. I’m used to the replace everyday system but this probably works out cheaper with the 711 right out the front door.  Shower pressure and temp was consistent all week however I would prefer the rain shower was spaced out further from the wall.  After a day or 2 the gentleman who seemed to be the main manager of the front staff recognized me and my room number. I didn’t pre purchase the Buffett breakfast but did pay the 150 and eat it a few days as they do serve until noon which was nice. For me it was a decent breakfast although it was somewhere in between a true American breakfast or English breakfast. They used strips of bacon cooked closer to my American standard than what I normally find at an English breakfast. I saw beans but didn’t see grilled tomatoes or mushrooms for those that like. They had a version of breakfast potatoes and a different Thai and rice choice each day. Assorted bread and some cereals. Would cook a basic omelette if asked. Overall it was a pleasant stay and I didn’t have anything major be an issue. For me the location was great for getting to any of the major mongering spots. Moto taxis right out the front door and 10 steps from baht buses. 

I would suggest saying on an upper floor if you are a light sleeper, there was some louder music till about 2am each night.  It wasn’t horrible and would expect it at most places close to nightlife. Laundry right out the door but they do by the piece instead of kilo which was fine for my one week stay.  

There were some negatives that may matter to you, personally I likely will try another location next time. The hotel still uses a traditional door key, maybe that’s normal in Pattaya but surprised me the same. I dropped my bags and hit 711 for supplies got back upstairs key in the slot and snap key breaks off.  What a way to start my first 15 minutes, Luckily the maid was across the hall. She appears to have several spare keys on various key rings so problem solved but curious how many keys and how often changed. When you go out you hand your key and the lighting/ac controller in  to front desk when you leave the hotel. That seems ok but there is often zero check when you come back. Several nights the key monitor  would not even look up from his/her desk as I came in and asked for room key.  There was no ID check or hold for your bar fine.   I don’t mind that but had a few girls who still tried to turn in the ID as I was getting the key. The evening shift of ladies at the front desk were not at all friendly leaving a few BF’s obviously confused and  with hurt pride due to scowls and being shooed away. They were technically guest friendly...just not always friendly about it. It wasn’t horrible but I hated that a few times the girls would get in the elevator with a bruised ego from the front desk. The room also had a couple weird buildout features, the suites may have been converted after initial build. The shower has 2 windows that face south with no shade so the room naturally gets HOT after mid day sun. Also the shower vent seems to be an afterthought with no screening so I got the odd mosquito in the room. 

I’ll include  pictures of the balcony view and bathroom as those were not reflected in the hotels online photos. 

Everyone was friendly to me, the breakfast staff was funny, laughed a few days at the guys who would come in off the street expecting it to be fine to both eat and then want to load up to go plates for the same price. 

I wrote this hoping to help another first time guy choose, others usage or needs may vary.

DACA7D76-D731-4D9F-8A37-07CD473CABF0.jpeg

01545471-E48A-4835-86AE-363D418EB36D.jpeg

49FE2637-4AEC-483C-BC60-6D112FA08EE8.jpeg

7468DD35-44E8-43B7-B564-80FAA57645AC.jpeg

Nice review, I stayed in the same room in August and I'm in right now as I write this. 

I like the hotel, the room and the location, I find it's very good value for money after trying the executive suites at Centara (near Soi 6), August Suites and Amari Nova's 1 bedroom deluxe beforehand. 

Its the location that wins me over. Regarding the room key, I take it off the card holder which I leave in its slot to keep the air con on though your observation about it being a bit old school is correct, many other hotels have moved onto key cards. 

I like having internal doors to close off the bedroom from the lounge as I tend to early and well before any potential LT that I may have with me, something unfortunately sadly lacking at August Suites

I'll have to start asking the girls about reception. 

Edit - come to think of it I checked in on the 13th :)

Thank you for your concise and honest review of my second home! Since my first trip in 2010, I have only stayed at the first Sea Me Spring probably for about 3 years before finding and staying at Bay Breeze. It's not the fanciest or whatever other words one would use to describe it and sure it has its fault I guess I could say. But, I love the location and love staying there!

Everyone knows me and I them and they all treat me great and with respect as well as the ladies I have with me LLT. Most times they will not ask for ID, but will accept it from the ladies. I will stay there when I move to Pattaya until I find just what I am looking for in a condo.

PS Dr No I haven't forgotten about you!

On 1/14/2018 at 20:15, Dr No said:

I like having internal doors to close off the bedroom from the lounge as I tend to early and well before any potential LT that I may have with me, something unfortunately sadly lacking at August Suites

I'll have to start asking the girls about reception. 

Edit - come to think of it I checked in on the 13th :)

I appreciate that reply. I may skip the August Suites next trip as that is also the reason I prefer the 2 rooms.  I hadn’t realized there wasn’t a barrier between the rooms there. No matter how late I’m up if I open my eyes and the sun is shining I rarely go back to sleep. Enjoy your trip, it was my first and can’t wait to make back. Do you ever frequent any of the massages down the road while staying here? I was tempted each pass but didn’t want to then drag bar fines back past them on a regular basis so I would at least go one row over but several made strong cases so I did relent on the last day. 

I did overall thoroughly enjoy the bay breeze, just expect I’ll try a few spots till I settle on one.  

I have stayed at Bay Breeze on a number of occasions.  Standard Balcony for me, no 2 room suites.  My comments on the hotel:

- great location for me

- there are a few more laundries up the road (Soi Honey) that will price per kilo (50 b per kilo).  You have to expressly ask for it though, they like charging per piece as it's usually more money that way.

- I rarely sit on the balcony of a hotel room (too hot outside), but I like big glass balcony doors, they open up the room.

- bathroom had shower over a bathtub which I dislike.  I never take a bath in a hotel room unless it's a spic and span clean 5 star hotel, and I am too cheap to pay for those.  But not a big deal.

- my biggest complaint is that the lighting in the room isn't bright enough.

- I don't remember leaving my key with reception when going out, never had anyone ask for it. 

- No issues with noise for me, in fact rooms were very quiet.  I had rooms that faced away from Soi Honey.

- Elevator was out of service on one of my checkouts.  There is only 1 elevator.  So I had to haul luggage 4 floors down.  Luckily I pack light, in case I have to book an AirAsia flight where they restrict you to 7 kilos (or pay extra)

- Overall, good value for money, if you can get a good price on Agoda.  I got mine for around 1000 b all in.

3 hours ago, xc1 said:

I appreciate that reply. I may skip the August Suites next trip as that is also the reason I prefer the 2 rooms.  I hadn’t realized there wasn’t a barrier between the rooms there. No matter how late I’m up if I open my eyes and the sun is shining I rarely go back to sleep. Enjoy your trip, it was my first and can’t wait to make back. Do you ever frequent any of the massages down the road while staying here? I was tempted each pass but didn’t want to then drag bar fines back past them on a regular basis so I would at least go one row over but several made strong cases so I did relent on the last day. 

I did overall thoroughly enjoy the Bay Breeze, just expect I’ll try a few spots till I settle on one.  

Amari Nova Suites has a door that you can close between the lounge and bedroom, good hotel with massive beds. A little isolated though so you need to get mototaxi or walk the 5 - 10 mins to either 2nd Road or Pattaya Klang. 

I haven't taken a Soi Honey massage girl this trip (or the last) but I wouldn't worry walking any future BF's past them, the massage girls might get a bit stand offish but they won't say anything, in the end they do want repeat business.  

The laundry across from Bay Breeze (next to Jo's) does do by the kg, though they'll try by the piece first, you just have to tell them by the kg. 

IMG_3821.JPG

I  am thinking Soi Honey is not good when it rains.  Knee deep flooding.  Let me know if I am wrong.  Other than that I agree, prime location.  I am trying to decide where I will stay on my next journey.  Currently I am at Pattaya Blue Sky hotel on Soi 5, not noisy, I like. Been here on Soi 5 for 6 months already, damn time flies.  No problems.

18 hours ago, Cheetos said:

I  am thinking Soi Honey is not good when it rains.  Knee deep flooding.  Let me know if I am wrong.  Other than that I agree, prime location.  I am trying to decide where I will stay on my next journey.  Currently I am at Pattaya Blue Sky Hotel on Soi 5, not noisy, I like. Been here on Soi 5 for 6 months already, damn time flies.  No problems.

I have stayed at various hotels and guesthouses on soi Honey for about 4 months.  There was only 1 time when flooding was a problem, on October 21, 2017.  I sheltered from the rain in a bar on soi Chaiyapoon for a couple of hours, rain was coming down hard.  Walking back, soi Chaiyapoon, Buakhao, and soi Honey were all flooded, water almost knee high.  Other than that 1 time flooding hasn't been a problem for me on soi Honey.

1 minute ago, wadman said:

I have stayed at various hotels and guesthouses on soi Honey for about 4 months.  There was only 1 time when flooding was a problem, on October 21, 2017.  I sheltered from the rain in a bar on soi Chaiyapoon for a couple of hours, rain was coming down hard.  Walking back, soi Chaiyapoon, Buakhao, and soi Honey were all flooded, water almost knee high.  Other than that 1 time flooding hasn't been a problem for me on soi Honey.

All it takes is one time unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

All it takes is one time unfortunately.

Yes, but rain was coming down really hard that night, for a few hours.  I am sure many other streets were flooded on that night as well.  I have seen beach road (around soi 6) flood with much less rain.

Here is what soi Chaiyapoon, Buakhao, Honey looked like that night.

20171022_015104.thumb.jpg.fea5206750fae8a85f2e5af672c3502d.jpg20171022_015330.thumb.jpg.a1e373d4e245cc811a1eca88091f85c3.jpg20171022_015714.thumb.jpg.52424df8d52a4bafcb923c47d4e1d6d4.jpg

you are correct. I stay at Soi 5. That Soi does not flood. Last week it rained a few hours. I attempted to cross Beach Road. Cannot do, Beach Road was under water. Thank you for posting the pics. What I am trying to say is I don't like walking through that shit to get to my room. I would rather stay in a Soi that does not flood. I stay in Pattaya 8 months duration, some years it rains quite heavily for many days.

2 hours ago, wadman said:

I was actually there that night. It started when I was at Shooters. I had intended on leaving there to do some hunting at the discos. It rained non stop for hours when it ended sometime after midnight I was like no way I'm going to WS. Ended up taking one of my regulars from there and headed back to Bay Breeze on a motosai.

It was flooded from just before Central Festival going south down past Soi Honey. He dropped us off on Soi 10 and we had to walk across 2nd to the Bay Breeze. I was terrified walking in that shit, we both took long body scrubbing showers after getting back to tbe room. I took the clothes and my sneakers to the laundry next door the next morning and told them to wash them twice.

I stayed at Bay Breeze for my first trip to Pattaya,well,only trip so far!

i enjoyed my stay there, there are quiet rooms, for those that want them,other than the pool area being small everything else was fine,considering staying again when i go this year,between that, the new Acqua hotel or one of the soi 10 hotels

• 4 weeks later...

Stayed at Bay Breeze for the last several weeks - yet again.

First stayed there over 15 years ago and its still a favorite.

There are more flash places even in the same Soi but BB is well located, operates smoothly, has good, experienced, friendly Staff and is very functional.

This trip I paid the weekly rate rate of Baht $900 pn (Baht 6,300 pw) no breakfast.

I'll stay there again next trip.

Recommended.

Book direct with the hotel via email.

Their website -

http://www.baybreezepattaya.com/

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

Archived