Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Visa Requirements/Process for living in Thailand

Smirker

I am an American citizen, I am legally married in the United States for ten years. My wife is a Thai citizen. Our marriage certificate is a United States document. We have not signed any marriage documents in Thailand.

I am trying to find out what the process is, for someone in my position, to relocate and stay in Thailand for extended periods of time when I am ready to retire. 

Do I need a Visa or there something I else I need to sign in order to gain residence? 

Thank you very much for any insight that you can provide.

Getting a retirement visa is piss easy, if you are over 50. There are many other ways if you are under 50.

You need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank in order to get a marriage visa.

However, with a marriage visa,  think you can work.

Comments from Siam legal:

• Must be married to a Thai national

This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate. There are instances (depending on the processing immigration office) when a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry is also required. This affirmation is obtained by the foreigner from his embassy in Thailand.

• Must meet the financial requirement
    • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
    • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income

Supporting documents as proof of the security deposit in a Thai bank are as follows:

• Updated bank book or passbook
    • Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
  • Other documents that may be required to be presented:*
    • Police Clearance
    • Medical Certificate

* These are not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand, though there are rare occasions, however, when an official from the Thai embassy or consulate may ask for these documents before issuance of the visa.

One good thing about being an American citizen. Although it is not recommended to purger yourself, you can go to the American embassy in Bangkok and get a letter saying your have a monthly income of 40,000 baht. The embassy does not demand any kind of proof you actually do get that amount.

8 hours ago, MikeShiva said:

One good thing about being an American citizen. Although it is not recommended to purger yourself, you can go to the American embassy in Bangkok and get a letter saying your have a monthly income of 40,000 baht. The embassy does not emand any kind of proof you actually do get that amount.

Only affirm that the info you provided them is true and give them 50 USD for the notarization.  Also if you time it right you don't have to go to the Embassy as they make a quarterly visit to Pattaya.

Oh, and before you get a marriage visa, you have to fill out an application for an O visa in Thailand.

Requires application, your letter  from embassy or proof from your bank, copies of your passport pages, proof of marriage - get an official copy from the clerk in the county you were married at, and

1900 baht'  You then get 90 day O visa  Before the 90 days are up you convert it to an extension based on marriage.

.   Its not really a marriage visa although people call it that, its an extension of your O visa, based on marriage, for one year. 

Can be extended every year.   Regardless, you have to show up every 90 days at immigration to report your address.

With marriage  extension can get a permit to work - unlike retirement extension- but you will have to do separate paperwork for permit.  I have never had one, so not familiar with that process. 

On December 31, 2017 at 17:42, MikeShiva said:

Regardless, you have to show up every 90 days at immigration to report your address.

Good advice, but you can also mail in the 90 day reports, saving trips to immigration.  So far the U.S. Embassy doesn't have any Q1 2018 visits scheduled to Pattaya (per their website) but does have visits scheduled for later this year. I wonder if they will schedule any Q1 Pattaya visits.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Archived