IGNORED

One-way ticket OK?

Treetopview

3 hours ago, Treetopview said:

Sure, there is leg work to do, and some back and forth.  As with other things too (:     

And yes, I'll likely be returning to the States at least once in the coming year also, and will get the re entry permit.

If your going to be returning, why get a one-way ticket? 

And no I don't believe you need a onward ticket to come to Thailand, maybe your confusing it with the Philippines?

I've made 3 trips out of Thailand in the last 6 months, and when I come back no one ever asks me for any onward proof to get the 30 day visa waiver. Where it says what's your next stop, I just write LAX and that's been good enough, no proof needed.

Proof of onward travel is a condition of entry with 30 day exemption. That doesn't mean that every check in agent will ask for proof but it only needs your agent to ask and you could be refused boarding. 

^
My experience has been they check every time.

Living in Thailand for the past eight years so my outbound starts from BKK. Every return flight from the states I've had to show my passport with the extension of stay before they would issue a boarding pass. The airlines are quite vigilant about this as if they allow someone to board who might be refused entry into the destination country, they're liable for the return flight plus a steep fine.

Based on my flight here in December I would say buy a cheap throwaway onward ticket.

I had a 60 day SETV and my travel was all booked so the airline obviously knew I had an onward travel ticket....ie my return ticket.

15 minutes before departure the flight was cancelled and I was booked onto a different carrier. At the boarding gate my name was flagged up and I had to show the new airline all my travel plans to prove that I was returning otherwise boarding would be denied.

The reason for all this carry on was simply that my last minute switch meant I showed up on their system as a one way traveller as my original return still stood with my original airline booking.

On 12/29/2017 at 01:57, Treetopview said:

My instinct was to allow myself more time to handle the paperwork.  If it turns out that I can proceed to get the Non-Imm O straightaway, I think I would choose to do that.  I didn't want to have anything get down to the wire.

Good point about talking to the airline.

Only one who will ask, potentially, is the airline. Not likely, but possible.  Instead of buying a throw away, there are lots of sights on the internet for you to generate a fake ticket. http://omatic.musicairport.com/  is one.

As to your O visa,, come in on a 30 day exempt stamp.  Meanwhile, in advance  make an appointment with the American embassy in Bangkok to notarize proof of income.   

The form is on the embassy website.  It costs $50 to get it  notarized.  While it is never a good idea to purger yourself, the embassy simply  asks you to affirm you get the pension money of 65,000 or more.

Once you have the pension letter. Go into Bangkok immigration with the pension letter, a couple of photos,  a filled out TM7 form (can find it on the net), 1900 baht , copy of your passport pages, and proof of your address in Thailand -(you may not need that but better to have it than not)  This will get you an O visa for 90 days

Approximately 60 days later, go to immigration again, this time to apply for a one year extension based on retirement.

Why go to Bangkok to do your O visa.?  Because Jomtien immigration no longer has approval to grant, and they have to send it to Bangkok.  Since they are forwarding it on, they may ask for more things.

The whole thing is relatively simple, but you often have to read a dozen  sites to get it all clearly sorted out. (Take it from me who did the research.)  Lots of agents who will do the thing for you, but they charge upwards of 12-20,000 baht to fill out what turns out to be one, simple form.

8 hours ago, MikeShiva said:

Only one who will ask, potentially, is the airline. Not likely, but possible.  Instead of buying a throw away, there are lots of sights on the internet for you to generate a fake ticket. http://omatic.musicairport.com/  is one.

As to your O visa,, come in on a 30 day exempt stamp.  Meanwhile, in advance  make an appointment with the American embassy in Bangkok to notarize proof of income.   

The form is on the embassy website.  It costs $50 to get it  notarized.  While it is never a good idea to purger yourself, the embassy simply  asks you to affirm you get the pension money of 65,000 or more.

Once you have the pension letter. Go into Bangkok immigration with the pension letter, a couple of photos,  a filled out TM7 form (can find it on the net), 1900 baht , copy of your passport pages, and proof of your address in Thailand -(you may not need that but better to have it than not)  This will get you an O visa for 90 days

Approximately 60 days later, go to immigration again, this time to apply for a one year extension based on retirement.

Why go to Bangkok to do your O visa.?  Because Jomtien immigration no longer has approval to grant, and they have to send it to Bangkok.  Since they are forwarding it on, they may ask for more things.

The whole thing is relatively simple, but you often have to read a dozen  sites to get it all clearly sorted out. (Take it from me who did the research.)  Lots of agents who will do the thing for you, but they charge upwards of 12-20,000 baht to fill out what turns out to be one, simple form.

He stated that he already has the 800K in a Thai bank.

On 12/29/2017 at 15:06, dave01 said:

Generally ok, if you come in on a visa

I've left the departure flight blank while getting a visa on arrival at the airport.  never been questioned about it at immigration.

Also, can only get an O-A in his home country (U.S.)

Since he is coming to  Thailand direct, he needs to get an O visa first, in Thailand, then apply for an extension based upon retirement before his 90 days is up (as well as give immigration time to process it.)

He said he will be here two months first.  Don;t know why he  would get a 30 day stamp, then extend it for 30 days (and  another 1900 baht)   Why not, as I suggested, just do the application for the O immediately. Why wait?     

As he apparently has the 800,000 in the bank, (sorry I missed that) then do the O visa application with the proof from the bank.   However, if he is waiting two months to seed it -- only reason I can figure out why he isn't doing his O visa application almost immediately, then it is better to get a letter from the embassy. No seeding required.

30 minutes ago, MikeShiva said:

He's American. No visa  on arrival for Americans.

Nor for Australians... it is called Visa Exemption.

12 hours ago, MikeShiva said:

Go into Bangkok immigration with the pension letter, a couple of photos,  a filled out TM7 form (can find it on the net), 1900 baht , copy of your passport pages, and proof of your address in Thailand -(you may not need that but better to have it than not)  This will get you an O visa for 90 days

Why go to Bangkok to do your O visa.?  Because Jomtien immigration no longer has approval to grant, and they have to send it to Bangkok.  Since they are forwarding it on, they may ask for more things

A well organized timeline, ty.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

The advice from various posts is appreciated.  I recall that my process to get a bank account at a Thai bank involved a fair amount of trotting back and forth, and a little bit of hurry-up-and-wait, so I was instinctively thinking to get the 30-day extension at the outset to allow more time. 

But by all means, I'll proceed to go for the O visa directly, knowing that acquiring a 30-day extension of the TV would be a fall-back position if there're any unexpected delays.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

Several times I have flown Australia to Thailand on a one-way ticket - a one-way points reward on Thai Air or a cheapie on a budget carrier, Jetstar or Air Asia (via Kuala Lumpur).

A reason to do this is to buy a return in Thailand, Bangkok-Melbourne-Thailand; prices are very competitive in Thailand and the cost may be significantly lower. ( I do two or three trips each year).

Never had any problems at all, either with my carrier on departing Australia nor with Immigration in Bangkok.

On 29/12/2017 at 11:57, Treetopview said:

I know that Cambodia (Phnom Penh)requires a visa for entry.  That's why I had not thought to have an onward ticket to a country which I had no visa for.

Treetop 

Its easy to obtain a visa on arrival when entering Cambodia, and its not necessary to show an onward ticket at the airport  in Phnom Penh 

13 minutes ago, roderick said:

Its easy to obtain a visa on arrival when entering Cambodia

@dave01 pointed that out as well.  Thanks for confirming.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

Why not just buy a refundable return ticket? expensive.. but you get all your money back anyway, and then you don't need to spend money on "throw away tickets"  Just cancel it after immigration in airport.

:Whistle:

As stated in an earlier post the O-A visa can only be obtained in your home country.  The O can be obtained in Thailand.

Personally, I obtained my OA from the Los Angeles consulate.  Yes, I had to get my medical signed off and a police report but I did everything at my pace driving my own car etc.

I found this to be a lot easier than going to  all the different Thai offices via motorbike taxis.

Arrival in LOS was a piece of cake.  Can manage two years from the initial OA visa.

Also I’ve noticed one way airfare about the same price as round trip so why not buy round trip with a return date later on when you plan to go back for a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the flyonward service(disposable tke 48hr option) the past 2 years, but do not seem to get onto their site now.  Anybody else having issues and/or solutions.  Tried the returnflights(print your own tkt) above and do not seem to be able to print it.  Thx.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2017 at 19:37, Kim Jong Il said:

Based on my flight here in December I would say buy a cheap throwaway onward ticket.

I had a 60 day SETV and my travel was all booked so the airline obviously knew I had an onward travel ticket....ie my return ticket.

15 minutes before departure the flight was cancelled and I was booked onto a different carrier. At the boarding gate my name was flagged up and I had to show the new airline all my travel plans to prove that I was returning otherwise boarding would be denied.

The reason for all this carry on was simply that my last minute switch meant I showed up on their system as a one way traveller as my original return still stood with my original airline booking.

This is correct, Late last year I travel from Las Vegas to LAX for a connecting flight on Cathay Pacific to BKK and the check-in counter ask to see my onward ticket from BKK. I didn't have one and luckily the Airline made me sign a form that saying something like if Thailand doesn't let me enter because i don't have an onward ticket, then it's my own fault not the Airline responsibilities. So i kind of got lucky when BKK immigration just gave me a 30 day tourist visa (maybe the lines were super long at the time?). Next time i will get a throwaway ticket for sure. 

Archived