IGNORED

Worried about the maid?

Garzan

Saw this article today, https://www.wired.com/story/snowden-haven-app-turns-phone-into-home-security-system/ 

In summary, it's about taking an old Android phone, like the one your TGF had last year but you already bought her a new one, and using it as a physical security device for a physical location. The problem is "The Evil Maid Attack". It's challenging to protect the security of your space from someone who routinely has allowed access to that space. In other words, hard to protect your stuff in your room from a maid, who has a key to your room, and is expected to spend routine time in your room, if she has less than honorable intent. 

Seeing how Mr. Snowden is an expat/exile on the run from US authorities for several years, he might know a thing or two about watching out for who's in his physical space. :-) 'Haven' is an android beta app designed to turn an old smartphone into a portable security system that will contact your current smartphone if it's disturbed.

I haven't downloaded or installed it yet, but I do have an old Galaxy S5 sitting in a drawer since I upgraded to a Galaxy S8. I imagine I would have to get another SIM or something, but maybe not if it's workable on free wifi. It would be a whole lot more reliable if it had it's own internet data plan though.

It's easy enough to figure out when the maid ~doesn't~ show up, since your new room guest has no fresh towels for her shower, but not so easy to tell if, or how many times someone may wander into your room if they don't make any obvious changes. I can see this as becoming quite popular with the Pacsafe crowd. :-)

• 1 month later...

Leaving a cell phone on a hotel nightstand or table while you are not there is practically asking for it to be stolen.

3 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

Leaving a cell phone on a hotel nightstand or table while you are not there is practically asking for it to be stolen.

It's to be used with a burner (throwaway) phone - right there in the article. Better a €40 Android than your laptop. 

Archived