IGNORED

Sim Card issues in my Samsung

doug

I bought a 4G sim from True and I was only able to get 3G data service working with phone calls and texts locally when on GSM mode.  If I switched to LTE/CDMA I was able to get 4G speeds but any local calls or texts would not work.  I would like the best of both if possible.  This was at True store next to Tukcom and they were stumped.  I spent about an 90 min there while they tried to correct it.  Eventually they said sorry and I was stuck switching back and forth. 

I would like to keep on the True Network if I can.  Is there a better place to go when I come back with a staff that are more experienced with training on these issues?  I have a motorbike so I don't mind traveling.  I like this network because it works in a bar that I go to where other carriers do not....I'm talking about you Babydolls!

Thanks for your help,
  Doug

I have a Samsung S7 Edge that uses LTE/CDMA signals in the US through Sprint.  The phone is unlocked for international use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 20:31, doug said:

I bought a 4G sim from True and I was only able to get 3G data service working with phone calls and texts locally when on GSM mode.  If I switched to LTE/CDMA I was able to get 4G speeds but any local calls or texts would not work.  I would like the best of both if possible.  This was at True store next to Tukcom and they were stumped.  I spent about an 90 min there while they tried to correct it.  Eventually they said sorry and I was stuck switching back and forth. 

I would like to keep on the True Network if I can.  Is there a better place to go when I come back with a staff that are more experienced with training on these issues?  I have a motorbike so I don't mind traveling.  I like this network because it works in a bar that I go to where other carriers do not....I'm talking about you Babydolls!

Thanks for your help,
  Doug

I have a Samsung S7 Edge that uses LTE/CDMA signals in the US through Sprint.  The phone is unlocked for international use.

This is just an educated guess, so take it with a grain of salt. That should be a global phone, so it should work. LTE bands are often used for data only. In the States, some companies have opted to allow calls to use LTE bands via something called "Advanced Calling". That is essentially VoIP. If this is not turned or or not available on your phone, the phone is going to try to use 3G or even 2G for calls and text.  If you locked your phone in LTE only mode, then that's going to block it from dropping back to 3G/2G for calls/text.

I'd try to set it for Global if possible for automatic switching. Either that or full power cycle with the True SIM in the phone so that it might reset the bands for you. I'm not familiar with the Sprint flavor of the S7, so I don't know what funky settings they made to the stock model. They are still CDMA, as far as I know, and only the US has CDMA settings. For the record, I've used a US S6, S7, and S8 in LoS--all of which worked fine as long as they were set to global. Two were GSM variants and one was CDMA (Verizon). 

• 2 weeks later...
Check your True APN settings.
I know that True was trying all kinds of settings for close to an hour to get it to work and they couldnt figure it out. I do know they were in my apn settings too. I think it may be my carrier purchased phone that locks some things down. We shall see this next trip.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I used AIS and everything works much better. I also went to the kiosk at central and loaded 20 baht onto my account 12 times and each time extended my expiration date by one month. I now have a sim card that will not expire until Feb 2019. I will go back in March and load one more 20b note before I fly home. A simple way to keep your number active.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Archived