IGNORED

Snooker - Sunny Akani

PR1977

Anyone see any of his match v Ronnie O'Sullivan at the UK Championship?

The kid is different - to say the least - but could be a massive star for Thailand in the future. I thought he outplayed Ronnie completely with his outrageous long potting, cue power and even some positional play but in the end a bit of bad match management and bad luck let him down - but he''ll learn.

By all accounts he's been practicing 10 hours a day for the last ten years and found a very unusual style which seems to work for him. Next up for him will be Jimmy White at the Scottish Open next week which could be another classic

Great player , was unlucky against O Sullivan on the 10 th frame when he fouled the potted  blue after potting a green .  Too early to say about him being among the greats , like many they disappeared . Remember James Wattana . Stuart Pettman who was once a number 13 in the world now lives in Bangkok , he taught Sunny how to play better snooker . Stuart is a nice man who always gives his t8me to anyone . Few times  , he called over to Mega Break to play competitions . I hope Sunny will go on to become a great player .  Strange to see a player cueing on the rest , only one I ever saw . 

10 minutes ago, Pinoydave said:

Needs to get rid of the hair clips!!

And go for an Alice Band, perhaps, like Ronnie himself used to wear?!

14 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Great player , was unlucky against O Sullivan on the 10 th frame when he fouled the potted  blue after potting a green .  Too early to say about him being among the greats , like many they disappeared . Remember James Wattana . Stuart Pettman who was once a number 13 in the world now lives in Bangkok , he taught Sunny how to play better snooker . Stuart is a nice man who always gives his t8me to anyone . Few times  , he called over to Mega Break to play competitions . I hope Sunny will go on to become a great player .  Strange to see a player cueing on the rest , only one I ever saw . 

Certainly do remember James Wattana, another fantastic long potter. I recall he got to a world semi v Stephen Hendry, maybe didn't fulfill his potential but very tough in the 90s when Hendry was in his prime hoovering up all the big tournaments.

So our hero lost his 1st round match in Scottish Open to The Whirlwind quite comprehensively....maybe the alien conditions in Glasgow got to him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 19:55, PR1977 said:

So our hero lost his 1st round match in Scottish Open to The Whirlwind quite comprehensively....maybe the alien conditions in Glasgow got to him.

Yes  , the Thais go into hypothermia  ( sp ) when it drops below 25 deg. C

Mikeyboy

• 2 months later...

Akani played a great match, seldom have I seen Ronnie so flustered.  Akani was very unlucky in the penultimate frame.  Watch it on YouTube.  

Thanks to Wattana's coaching, Thai snooker players are coming on strong.

Archived