IGNORED

Buy UK or Pattaya

hardblogger

Setting off for long term Pattaya soon, need to upgrade phone, any advice on if better to buy in UK or wait until get to Pattaya?  Looking to pay about £500 I think, to be honest my phone knowledge is pretty shit to be fair. I could afford new Iphone X but not sure I want to go that far. Should I go for a contract phone in Thailand? I really don't know what the best option. So any help would be
well.....helpful :-) 

Personally I get my phones from AliXpress.

I haven't been on a contract for years (well, technically I am as I have a company SIM), when travelling I get prepaid.

Use a UK phone contract with WiFi calling, the minutes come off your contract and will cost you zilch to call home and receive calls from home, as long as your connected to WiFi, which I assume you will have in Condo/House if living here...

I would use a Thai SIM (throwaway) on another phone or in a "dual sim" phone for my liaisons with the Thai ladies... easy to bin should any become problematic...

buy an OPPO phone in Pattaya and works in UK ok

Oppo r9 r9s r11 and r11s

has between 6g and 8g memory great for playing games

and it is octacore processor...the latest

great for photos etc

buy in Central Festival 3rd floor

the new Iphone only has 3g

best phone I ever bought.

I had a rubbishUK  HTC and sorry I bought it.

I bought a little throwaway from Central Festival in 2012, still got it, but lost the charger,  Has a really cool easy number to remember as well, so will bring that. Chuck a few baht on it..........and wait for the incoming calls lol.  

Not sure I will need to call UK much, so contract prob waste of money. So an Oppo phone is like a iphone rip off, obviously a lot
cheaper but still does a good job,  Sounds like a good option. 

Thanks for replies anyway guys. 

On 01/12/2017 at 18:12, seans said:

OPPO is the 4th best selling phone in the world and ONLY sells at the moment in ASIA

so it must be good

You have misquoted the original quote.

OPPO R11 and OPPO A57 were the third and fourth best selling smartphones in in the month of July (2017).

Sold outside Asia as OnePlus..

https://oneplus.net/global/

On 01/12/2017 at 17:05, hardblogger said:

I bought a little throwaway from Central Festival in 2012, still got it, but lost the charger,  Has a really cool easy number to remember as well, so will bring that. Chuck a few baht on it..........and wait for the incoming calls lol.  

Not sure I will need to call UK much, so contract prob waste of money. So an Oppo phone is like a iphone rip off, obviously a lot
cheaper but still does a good job,  Sounds like a good option. 

Thanks for replies anyway guys. 

So don't buy OPPO if you want full compatibility and the best specification. Choose OnePlus instead

https://oneplus.net/uk/5t

https://oneplus.net/uk/5

if you are looking to splash out. But don't buy OPPO.

Similarly VIVO is owned by the same company. So some of their phones will look much the same, but function differently.

Vivo and Oppo phones also come with a heavily skinned version of Android, and it's about as China'ed out as possible -- I'm talking tons of spam apps with pop-up ads (this is normal for apps in China ... consumers there have been trained to accept ads as part of free services, unlike westerners who want their cake and eat it too) and no Google Play Store out of the box.

Long story short: Vivo/Oppo phones are very, very different from OnePlus phones and they were built for completely different crowds that run in different circles. So while the OnePlus 5T is looking just like the Vivo V7 Plus, rest assured the phone will feel a lot different in the hand. My V7 Plus has Vivo's own terrible web browser built-in -- I'm pretty sure the OnePlus 5T will come with Chrome as default.

13 minutes ago, seans said:

Perhaps you can post your replies directly to the forum.

A hyperlink from the article to which you have posted a link leads to;

OPPO is now known primarily for its sub par smartphones..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPPO_Electronics

A high volume of sales does not translate to high quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i recall that when I compared prices a few years ago that Pattaya Central Mall prices were more than prices in the UK.

Archived