IGNORED

MacBook repair

wingcom1

The keyboard on my Mac is knackered and needs replacing. Tried a few places in tukcom incl the Studio and was sent to the icare shop in central festival. They are asking for 8000 baht, but worse, they want to keep the laptop for three days. No way. 

Does anyone know of a reliable repair place that source genuine apple parts and work quickly?

Many thanks in advance.

actually that is not a bad price.  I had my Mac keyboard replaced in the states for a similar cost and repair took about a week. You decide what is best, I know what I would do.

11 minutes ago, wingcom1 said:

They are asking for 8000 baht, but worse, they want to keep the laptop for three days

Shit.  That's a bit much.  

Do it yourself.  Buy a replacement on eBay or something for <1000.  Changing keyboard is a piece of piss.  Look it up on YouTube, trained monkey could do it.

31 minutes ago, ChairmanMao said:

Shit.  That's a bit much.  

Do it yourself.  Buy a replacement on eBay or something for <1000.  Changing keyboard is a piece of piss.  Look it up on YouTube, trained monkey could do it.

Hmmm I suppose I could make like monkey...

I've lost 2 macbooks to Pattaya...1 because the battery expanded dislodging the keyboard and cracking the display and the other when I accidentally spilled whisky & ginger ale on the replacement one which was a week old...grrr. :Hair_Out1:

That made the keypad erratic and spoiled the display. I now have a new Macbook Pro with Trackpad and I'm going to be very careful with that one. :rolleyes:

Have you tried Tukcom to have the work done?

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, Petesie said:

I've lost 2 macbooks to Pattaya...1 because the battery expanded dislodging the keyboard and cracking the display and the other when I accidentally spilled whisky & ginger ale on the replacement one which was a week old...grrr. :Hair_Out1:

That made the keypad erratic and spoiled the display. I now have a new Macbook Pro with Trackpad and I'm going to be very careful with that one. :rolleyes:

Have you tried Tukcom to have the work done?

Yep tried several tuckom stands - they wouldn't touch it (i appreciated their honesty frankly) and told me to go to icare in central.

I (and I suspect many others) can relate to the drinks spill.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often actually.  But what a gigantic PITA

4 hours ago, wingcom1 said:

5a1fa9639edb2_ScreenShot2017-11-30at13_46_24.png.56b05b43fd06ab83d3d25394afb4c86a.png

On the Macbook Air of that era, the keyboard is part of the integrated top case of the laptop. In 2014, that's how they got away with making such a thin laptop: 

13inchAirTop_sm.jpg.460e122a935e2c0854f0a51abd7eae72.jpg

Buying this from iFixIt.com new as a part is about 9600 baht, so they might be looking at a refurb part. You have to pull a lot of the case away to get to this one shell item, so unless you know they know what they're doing, I'd suggest just getting an external USB keyboard and using that instead. 

2 minutes ago, Woofiee said:

On the Macbook Air of that era, the keyboard is part of the integrated top case of the laptop. In 2014, that's how they got away with making such a thin laptop: 

13inchAirTop_sm.jpg.460e122a935e2c0854f0a51abd7eae72.jpg

Buying this from iFixIt.com new as a part is about 9600 baht, so they might be looking at a refurb part. You have to pull a lot of the case away to get to this one shell item, so unless you know they know what they're doing, I'd suggest just getting an external USB keyboard and using that instead. 

That's very helpful mate, thank you.  I decided to go with a bluetooth keyboard earlier today:

IMG_1989.JPG.840a82ac9a95b58cb818c42c092faf10.JPG

Good move - hold out until you get to a place where Apple has a store and have them fix it. The Air is probably still worth at least €600-700 in the used market, otherwise it'll only sell for parts.  :wink:

Dr Macbook in Bangkok. EXTREMELY good work there. They are on facebook, and have a website. I have had some work there and it was top notch. They will ship it in for you by Kerry express and return it to you via them as well. High quality work at a good price.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Archived