Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Vocation or Trade schools

alphagemo

Greetings and salutations to anyone that reads this.

In about 1-2 years I am planning on trying to get and ED visa in Thailand or the Philippines. I would prefer Thailand since they have better weather and fresh produce. 

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone knows of any vocation or trade schools that teach in English, though maybe not mandatory, in Thailand. I would do the language programs if push comes to shove but I am horrible at learning languages.

Also, I have asked before but if anyone has used their GI bill to attend classes there I would appreciate the knowledge of the process necessary.

My son goes to a Technical College in Chaiyaphum and as far as I’m aware the trade classes are taught in Thai but they do have foreigners teaching English. Talking to a couple of lads who teach English classes there and they say the students are not the most eager to learn. The girls are not too bad but classes of male electricians and mechanics see the classes as a pain in the butt. Whether or not there is scope in the syllabus to do the classes in a way that involves their trade I’m not sure but you’d think that might make it more interesting for the students and teachers. 

Do you happen to know what the college is called because with the only one I can find online it seems the website has been shut down or something.

I kind of just want to learn welding or carpentry or something along those lines.

2 hours ago, alphagemo said:

Do you happen to know what the college is called because with the only one I can find online it seems the website has been shut down or something.

I kind of just want to learn welding or carpentry or something along those lines.

Doubt if you will have much success finding such courses in English as the trades mentioned are not available to foreigners, only Thais.

Well that is good to know and disappointing. I guess I will probably have to settle for the Philippines or find a good Thai language course that runs for 12 months and accepts my GI bill.

Any info on that would be great too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2017 at 19:08, alphagemo said:

Well that is good to know and disappointing. I guess I will probably have to settle for the Philippines or find a good Thai language course that runs for 12 months and accepts my GI bill.

Any info on that would be great too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't take this the wrong way,  but the opportunities afforded by the GI bill are GOLDEN. 

Why throw that away in a country openly reviled as a &*#*!

College in PI was described to me (by a Filipina) as being the equivalent of high school in the US. 

Go use your GI bill in a place where you can have a marketable skill at the end. 

Wasting your GI bill in the Philippines...don't even go there! (just my opinion)

Likely there are colleges in LOS that would serve but Google is your friend. Consider a career a little higher up the food train than what trade school would provide...or, rather than just learning carpentry or welding, learn how to run a business providing that. There are successful building contractors in LOS on this forum, so it's known that can work. Being the carpenter or welder yourself has a physical price to pay, over time. Good luck. :)

47 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

Don't take this the wrong way but the opportunities afforded by the GI bill are GOLDEN. 

Why throw that way in a country openly described as a (*#*!

College in PI was described to me (by a Filipina) as being the equivalent of a high school in the US. 

Go use your GI bill in a place where you can have a marketable skill at the end. 

Wasting your GI bill in the Philippines...don't even go there! (just my opinion)

Likely there are colleges in LOS that would work but Google is your friend...good luck. :)

I live in the Philippines and have employed many college/uni grads. I agree the level of the grads here in many degree courses is about western high school level at best. The big problem here is the lecturers, because of the cronyism they aren't required to keep their skills and knowledge updated and the students are not allowed to challenge what the lecturer says. In most courses they don't even cover the basics that in the west you would have to ace in the first couple of months of a degree or you'd be shown the door.

Education here is in English though, that's mandated by the government.

I don't agree the country is "a (*#*!" (whatever that means but it doesn't sound complimentary, hehe) but that's just my opinion. Cheers.

No worries, I can understand the confusion and why it would seem like a bad idea.

By the time I am able to do the year in a different country I would have completed getting my degree already, with 12 months left of GI bill time remaining.

A large part of the reason I want to go overseas to that area is because while taking classes/attending school overseas the GI bill pays out $1649 a month, not including tuition and book fees, for not being in America.

I am not particularly wanting to go there to learn something, though learning a trade does interest me. 

I hope that cleared that up for you

Archived