Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Virus removal in Pattaya

siamesepat

Long story short, I've bought myself a new laptop and picked up a virus. Is there someone reputable in Pattaya that can remove the feckin' thing? 

did you try free software yet, that would be a good first step, if it doesnt work then tukcom

I didn't know there was free software to address this but, the virus affects the touchpad which makes normal operation of the laptop somewhat difficult.

Best to just backup your files, reformat your hard drive and reinstall your operating system. 

Fucking windows is real the problem.  It's basically malware out of the box.

Unless you really need windows on it you should seriously consider changing operating system.  Linux distros these days are a piece of piss to install/operate on almost any hardware and you won't have any problems with security.  

Webroot (paid) and Avast (free) are two antivirus programs I'm familiar with, also Malwarebytes. 

If the infestation is minor, downloading and running any of those will likely remove it. 

If it's major, rescue media (ie USB bootable drive these days) may need to be created on a non-infected computer, and your laptop booted and repaired using that. 

As suggested above, doing a drive reformat and operating system reinstall is another approach although more labor intensive. 

Either Webroot or Avast would probably have prevented the infestation in the 1st place. Webroot has reportedly blocked ransomware/file encryption, as does Win10 as of a recent upgrade but who would want to run that POS operating system (just my personal opinion)? 

To answer your original question, any computer shop should be able to remove the malware, hopefully without introducing some of their own in the process (ie unwanted "fluff" software). Good luck

13 hours ago, siamesepat said:

I didn't know there was free software to address this but, the virus affects the touchpad which makes normal operation of the laptop somewhat difficult.

My guess is if its Win 10 the "quick start" facility is enabled....has happened to me,google "disable fast start up win 10" :)

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I found a guy who fixed it and all is good again!

13 hours ago, siamesepat said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I found a guy who fixed it and all is good again!

Maybe add some information on how others can get to him?

It happens often enough that the next guy would appreciate the intel... 

52 minutes ago, Woofiee said:

Maybe add some information on how others can get to him?

It happens often enough that the next guy would appreciate the intel... 

I think we would all appreciate knowing his skill level too. Did he do a system restore, or something more advanced? Did he just run a virus sweep?

Glad to hear everything is back up and running, but take the advice of ChairmanMao and put Linux on your machine before it happens again. 

Archived