IGNORED

Domestic Flights Out of Don Mueang

ChiFlyer

I have read that international flights in/out of Don Mueang are to be avoided as immigration can be a nightmare. I am looking at some domestic flights and the Air Asiana prices out of the old airport are quite attractive compared to the corresponding flights on Thai Air out of BKK. I have never used the airline before and have not been in the old airport in over a decade. Any comments?

Remember to take into account the extra travel costs to/from Don Mueang when comparing fares. Maybe 400 baht each way?

Depending where you’re flying to, U-Tapao has some budget airlines using it as well.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Remember to take into account the extra travel costs to/from Don Mueang when comparing fares. Maybe 400 baht each way?

Depending where you’re flying to, U-Tapao has some budget airlines using it as well.

I agree. The budget airlines out of U-Tapao can be excellent. I've flown to CM, Udon, and Phuket from there. The ticket to UDT was less than $30 and only an hour long. Much better than half a day on a bus. 

Thanks guys. Good idea about U-Tapao. I am considering a trip to Khon Kaen in Isan. According to Orbitz, there are no flights there from U-Tapao. The difference on the price between Don Muaeng and BKK was pretty significant. Over $100 US or about 3,300 Baht.

I would probably combine the trip with a few days in Bangkok. My first trip to Thailand next year is for 4 months. I have an O-A Visa now. I will need to come back again next October to renew the visa. Geez, what a shame. :)

I have used U-Tapao before to go over to Ko Samui. Worked very well and the ride from the airport back to Patts was great. My lady friend, at that time, had the driver stop at the buddha carved into the mountain as well as a gorgeous temple.

Breezed through both Swampy (in) and The Don (out) immigration this past trip, barely 5 minutes in total :o

Must have picked particularly quiet times to travel, not so lucky in Honkers where it took an hour just to get in.

From Pattaya Don Muaeng is not as convenient as Swampy. However, the inconvience is off set by the very competitive airfares  of the low cost carriers. If time is not an issue I prefer Don Muaeng especially for domestic flights. 

While U-Tapoa is the closest at present it does not offer the same choice of airlines and destinations. 

25 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Don Muang is a mare to get to, long and expensive. But once you're there I don't think it's any worse than Swampy or UTP all depends on te day and time.

Agreed, been In and Out of DM recently, both Domestic and International - it's had some good updates (esp Domestic) and is now OK.

Flew into UTP a few weeks ago, great new terminal just opened - very easy, although taxi services are controlled - 1000 to Pattaya for Airport Taxi (250 for bus) - takes about an hour.

6 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks guys. Good idea about U-Tapao. I am considering a trip to Khon Kaen in Isan. According to Orbitz, there are no flights there from U-Tapao. The difference on the price between Don Muaeng and BKK was pretty significant. Over $100 US or about 3,300 Baht.

I would probably combine the trip with a few days in Bangkok. My first trip to Thailand next year is for 4 months. I have an O-A Visa now. I will need to come back again next October to renew the Visa. Geez, what a shame. :)

I have used U-Tapao before to go over to Ko Samui. Worked very well and the ride from the airport back to Patts was great. My lady friend, at that time, had the driver stop at the buddha carved into the mountain as well as a gorgeous temple.

Not so many flights to Khon Kaen. In Thai terms, it’s not too long a drive/bus journey so fewer flight options. You could probably drive it in 8 hours :D

The main issue with Don Mueang is getting there and back. Theres a new Domestic Terminal so less congestion at the airport. There’s been lots of roadworks and extension of BTS etc which has led to delays. Depends on luck how long it would take you.

If there’s a huge difference in fare then the extra hassle may be worth it. As you say you may go to Bangkok first, then there wouldn’t be a huge difference anyway.

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I would probably combine the trip with a few days in Bangkok. My first trip to Thailand next year is for 4 months. I have an O-A Visa now. I will need to come back again next October to renew the Visa. Geez, what a shame. :)

Hi

Have you looked at Thai Smile out of BKK to KK?

I’m booked on that route later this month....just over 1300 baht each way including luggage.

18 hours ago, davidge said:

If you're looking at flying out of BKK check out "Thai Smiles" airway, they depart Suvvy airport as I recall a few flights daily to Udon Thani.  Hopefully they have flights to Khon Kaen as well. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Courageous said:

If you're looking at flying out of BKK check out "Thai Smiles" airway, they depart Suvvy airport as I recall a few flights daily to Udon Thani.  Hopefully they have flights to Khon Kaen as well. 

Thai Smiles does have several flights a day from bkk to Khon Kaen for pretty cheap prices. I flew them once from bkk to Hat Yai, it's a typical Asian budget airline, small planes but friendly crew. 

IMG_4106.PNG

Bangkok Post:

218D77A7-33F7-45B9-9DC8-31CC22385D40.thumb.jpeg.adcb0228a73d08ab2ab4f300021ead20.jpeg

Thanks to several for the tips on Thai Smiles. I see that it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Thai Air. The ticket prices are lower, if you buy directly from Thai Smiles as opposed to something like Orbitz. I never buy through Orbitz, but use them to get a wide view of what is available.

Thai Smile is Thai Air’s Domestic arm. They restructured a while ago to try and compete with the budget airlines. No real difference other than there’s no longer proper Biz on internal flights as a rule. 

On 11/6/2017 at 22:46, davidge said:

On 11/7/2017 at 15:26, misteregg said:

Don Muang is a mare to get to, long and expensive. But once you're there I don't think it's any worse than Swampy or UTP all depends on te day and time.

My prefered route to Don Mueang from Pattaya costs 250 baht.  Bell bus from hotel to Suvanabhumi and free shuttle bus from one airport to the other.   Shuttle bus free if you can prove onward flight from D.M.   Have done this in just over three hours many times so not much longer than in a taxi but much cheaper.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

If you need a hotel near DM its easy to just walk the overpass to the Amari and you are there in 3 minutes. No wet hair or cab ride needed..

There are some good bars in that local and some shitty ones too.

Remember when this was the main airport for Thailand. Crazeee

Archived