IGNORED

Locked out of Specific Sites?

Exiled

I looked at some of the topics not exactly sure where to post? N(old)  not very good at computer tech.

This has happened in the past years past.    In the past, when I used Google exclusively one day I was locked out of my Vanguard account. I was told I needed a VPN, so I followed the instructions given to me and downloaded a free one and things were back to normal.

Recently,  I wasn't able to logged onto Vanguard on Google, I was told Google revamped their service so I thought maybe I needed to download again a VPN?  But since then I started to use Firefox and had no problem.

Today, I try to log onto my Credit Union Banking account and was locked out,  needing to do transaction I went to my brothers house who recently had the same problem on Firefox but it was somehow resolved, He being like me don't know why?  use his computer and was able to log on.

Is this a VPN problem?  if so,  do I need to download free or purchase a VPN for each one, Firefox and Google?

Thanks in advance!

Your post is a little hard to understand, but the bottom line is you are leaving "suspicious tracks" when you visit these sites. 

Using the same device (I assume) and different IPs raises red flags for a lot of sites and that goes triple for  financial institutions. 

Free VPNs are fine for some things, but my suggestion is you pay $5 to $10 a month for something like CyberGhost that allows you to choose your IP so you don't look suspicious. 

Using a free one might see you sign into your bank with an IP address in the U.S. one day, an IP in Honduras the next day, and one in Kuwait the next time you sign in.

Not good. Even Facebook  would lock your ass out for that. 

3 hours ago, Exiled said:

I looked at some of the topics not exactly sure where to post? N(old)  not very good at computer tech.

This has happened in the past years past.    In the past, when I used Google exclusively one day I was locked out of my Vanguard account. I was told I needed a VPN, so I followed the instructions given to me and downloaded a free one and things were back to normal.

Recently,  I wasn't able to logged onto Vanguard on Google, I was told Google revamped their service so I thought maybe I needed to download again a VPN?  But since then I started to use Firefox and had no problem.

Today, I try to log onto my Credit Union Banking account and was locked out,  needing to do transaction I went to my brothers house who recently had the same problem on Firefox but it was somehow resolved, He being like me don't know why?  use his computer and was able to log on.

Is this a VPN problem?  if so,  do I need to download free or purchase a VPN for each one, Firefox and Google?

Thanks in advance!

Is Vanguard a bank? I have logged into banks and credit unions for decades from all over South East Asia and never been geo-blocked. I'm surprised any would do this. Sometimes they block card transactions but that's different. I would call them and ask if they do. If you travel you should advise your bank or credit union before you go and how long you will be gone for.

No, you do not need a separate VPN for Chrome and Firefox.

If I log on to my US bank's site, and I have my VPN it wont let me do it, keeps saying no account or something, turn off the VPN and get right in

4 minutes ago, just hanging said:

If I log on to my US bank's site, and I have my VPN it wont let me do it, keeps saying no account or something, turn off the VPN and get right in

Your vpn is on their blacklist I'd say.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-a-website-detect-if-the-user-is-using-VPN-proxy-fake-IP-SSH-to-connect-to-it

3 hours ago, Kahoy said:

Is Vanguard a bank? I have logged into banks and credit unions for decades from all over South East Asia and never been geo-blocked. I'm surprised any would do this. Sometimes they block card transactions but that's different. I would call them and ask if they do. If you travel you should advise your bank or credit union before you go and how long you will be gone for.

No, you do not need a separate VPN for Chrome and Firefox.

Vanguard is a Mutual Fund Institution like Charles Schwab.  In the past, as noted it has happened with Vanguard and the representative once I noted I was logging on from Thailand told me that was the reason!  The computer or Vanguard software know that is where you are logging in from and Thailand is on their list along with a number of other countries for fraud.  This was also noted to me by my Credit Union regarding the two Master Charge Cards I have with them. Any transaction on their list and Thailand is one of them the transaction will be declined unless I have the card unblocked during my trip or requested period of time. 

2 hours ago, just hanging said:

I'm a bit confused?  when you say turn off VPN, it will let me in, I was basically told the other way around. That without a VPN, on, it tells a site like Vanguard I'm trying to gain access from overseas like a country like Thailand (Blacklisted) which I was told the last time is the reason I'm getting the message you noted. A few years back this happen on Google Chrome, I was told by Vanguard to download their free VPN, did that and problem was gone.

The computer I'm using is a year old when I purchased the Anti-Virus  Trend-Micro was noted that I now have their Avast VPN,  a few days ago told that it is " not on " when hit the message it ask me if I wanted to renew?  I didn't since I thought I get it with my yearly subscription of Trend-Micro which doesn't expire until January 2018.  Might this be the problem?

2 hours ago, Kahoy said:

As noted, not techno,  I look but it is over my head as to what to do?  Not sure why everything was fine a few days ago and not today?  Not sure what to do?  purchase a new VPN,  did I have one before etc etc..

1 hour ago, Exiled said:

I'm a bit confused?  when you say turn off VPN, it will let me in, I was basically told the other way around. That without a VPN, on, it tells a site like Vanguard I'm trying to gain access from overseas like a country like Thailand...

It's kind of a double-edged sword. 

A VPN can help if you are in a country widely known for internet fraud and you want to mask that fact. However, there are security systems that also detect when a VPN is in use and they block those. Crooks often use a VPN to mask the fact that they are in, say Ethiopia or Somalia. 

Super paranoid institutions cover their asses on all fronts. Facebook is getting much more sophisticated with tracking sign-ins from various locations because so many people use fake Facebook accounts to commit fraud.

1 minute ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

It's kind of a double-edged sword. 

A VPN can help if you are in a country widely known for internet fraud and you want to mask that fact. However, there are security systems that also detect when a VPN is in use and they block those. Crooks often use a VPN to mask the fact that they are in, say Ethiopia or Somalia. 

Super paranoid institutions cover their asses on all fronts. Facebook is getting much more sophisticated with tracking sign-ins from various locations because so many people use fake Facebook accounts to commit fraud.

Thanks for your patience,  I pulled up a website  www. what is my proxy.com  the response was I did have a external IP address from Thailand and Buriam? 

Based on everything you are saying, using window 10, how do I check if I had a VPN, before?  One day I was told I get a VPN with my Trend-Micro Anti-Virus, and everything is working fine,  a few days ago I get a noticed that it has ended before my one year is up with Trend? 

Based on what you are saying so I pick and purchased a new VPN, will that help me?

1 hour ago, Exiled said:

Thanks for your patience,  I pulled up a website  www. what is my proxy.com  the response was I did have a external IP address from Thailand and Buriam? 

Based on everything you are saying, using window 10, how do I check if I had a VPN, before?  One day I was told I get a VPN with my Trend-Micro Anti-Virus, and everything is working fine,  a few days ago I get a noticed that it has ended before my one year is up with Trend? 

Based on what you are saying so I pick and purchased a new VPN, will that help me?

I doubt that you can check it now. 

My suggestion is to follow the link below and try a free version of CyberGhost and then upgrade to the paid version. They will automatically bill your credit card around $6.00 a month. Then all of your problems should be over. 

This is a link to CyberGhost

1 minute ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

My suggestion is to follow the link below and try a free version of CyberGhost and then upgrade to the paid version. They will automatically bill your credit card around $6.00 a month. Then all of your problems should be over. 

Thanks I will give it a try!

13 minutes ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Sir,

Prior to your message I decided to clear all the history I had on FireFox,  thereafter I was able (shocked) to find out I now could log into my Credit Union account and even my Vanguard.

On Google Chrome, I did the same and clear the history, I still wasn't able to log into Vanguard but able to log into my Credit Union?

Based on this what do you think happen?  I still will check the link CyberGhost since I don't want this to happen in the future.  I keep majority of my money in the States and do a number of Mutual Fund transaction on Vanguard and can't really afford to be lock out.

Thanks again

58 minutes ago, Exiled said:

Sir,

Prior to your message I decided to clear all the history I had on FireFox,  thereafter I was able (shocked) to find out I now could log into my Credit Union account and even my Vanguard.

On Google Chrome, I did the same and clear the history, I still wasn't able to log into Vanguard but able to log into my Credit Union?

Based on this what do you think happen?  I still will check the link CyberGhost since I don't want this to happen in the future.  I keep majority of my money in the States and do a number of Mutual Fund transaction on Vanguard and can't really afford to be lock out.

Thanks again

My guess is that Google's security measures are more stringent than those of Firefox, but I really don't know. 

38 minutes ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

My guess is that Google's security measures are more stringent than those of Firefox, but I really don't know. 

Yes, I think so they always have been but I don't have a problem.  I want to check first because I thought my Tread-Micro provided a VPN, with the one year plan.  Since I got this computer with the plan I've had no problem until recent.  A notice pops up saying my Avast VPN is turn off, so when I click( turn on ) they tell me I got to pay.  I have no problems with paying because I just don't want to go through this again so I will check Cyberghost!

Thanks Thanks

Do vanguard have an ios or android app? I don't think you would have geographical issues if you do.

good reason why i like mobile banking apps.

1 hour ago, Exiled said:

Sir,

Thanks again

Clearing your browser cache (ie history) is standard advice whenever an internet/browser based transaction isn't working. I suspect much of this is due to buggy browsers but whatever. 

Although doing financial transactions over the internet is quick and convenient, I'd suggest having Plan B devised and ready for when Plan A doesn't work. 

2 hours ago, CyberPro said:

Clearing your browser cache (ie history) is standard advice whenever an internet/browser based transaction isn't working. I suspect much of this is due to buggy browsers but whatever. 

Although doing financial transactions over the internet is quick and convenient, I'd suggest having Plan B devised and ready for when Plan A doesn't work. 

When it comes to computer, like many are saying in my family, you getting left behind, as the other poster ask OSI or Android, I'm thinking what. While everyone has all those fancy phones my is 4 years old and slow. I have no idea what is going on techno.  Ask me about guns and where is so and such a place located in Pattaya I can find it or tell you majority of time?

But have plans for lots of stuff and I will note I got to have plan for financial transaction.

Thanks everyone, will work on the plan..........

Most likely the sites that you are trying to visit using a VPN have changed to block VPN access.  This is mostly likely because they have noticed that people trying to perpetrate fraud against them have used VPN software to avoid detection.  They probably made a decision that the inconvenience to legitimate customers is outweighed by the cost of the fraud. 

Have you called either Vanguard or your Credit Union and talk to them and ask them about your problem?  We can only guess at the cause and what may be a solution, but they will know for sure and can tell you what your options are.

When you were told to use a VPN before by Vanguard my guess is that they were just blocking non-US IP addresses.  Using the VPN software you would be able to get a US based IP address at least from their point of view.  If they still block non-US based IPs and now block VPN then you are likely not going to be able to connect if you are in Thailand. 

For your plan B I would recommend using a phone.  You should be able to do most transactions that way and they won't block phone calls even from overseas. 

Since my final post, as noted after clearing my cache for Firefox I was able to log into my Credit union, Vanguard and Charles Schwab.

I also clear the history on Google Chrome, thereafter was able to log on to my Credit union and Charles Schwab but not Vanguard.

Then I got side track with bunch of personal family stuff, and haven't had time to further research getting a VPN?  thinking to myself I better get on with it or with my luck it will happen again?

This morning sure enough I was block out of my credit union account it requested that I get a special code from them to log in. This was for Firefox and Google Chrome. I can still log into Vanguard and Charles Schwab Firefox, on Chrome not Vanguard but can Schwab.

On my computer there is a icon for Avast VPN,  I click and it said my VPN has been turn off, to connect click which I did and it indicated I can get a 30 day free trial or buy monthly. I push 30 days and it indicate location click and gave me a list so I pick San Francisco.  After indicated connected, I try again Firefox to connect decline again.  So, I went back to the VPN, disconnect and try to connect picking Singapore, after try again decline. 

Thinking now after reading last post my credit union might be blocking VPN? 

My brother also in Thailand had this same problem a month ago, he got a hold of the Credit Union, even the tech department no one seem to have a answer. The guy on the phone said download Firefox, he did and all of a sudden he has no problem logging on anymore.

Now it is my problem,  I'm thinking when he called the Credit union whoever took the call, since he indicated he is living in Thailand and access from here maybe they took the block off his account? 

Now I'm thinking should I get a VPN or not, since the Avast VPN I connected didn't seem to help?

So today to get into my credit union account, and I have no problem doing this as long I get in but it takes time. When they ask me where I want to have the code sent,  no text and email my only choice was sent the code to my U.S. phone voice mail.  That is what I click and then I called my cell phone from here pick up the message with the code and logged in with the code which worked.

Anyone understand all this stuff and have a successful I'm all open ears.

Thanks....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived