IGNORED

My Desktop PC has a DVD player but the system does not recognize it

mongo2

The PC came with a DVD player in the chassis. I assume this id called an "Optical Drive".

When I put a CD into the player nothing happens.

When I check the Device Manager it says I do not have an Optical Drive.

What to do?

PC is a DELL Optiplex 3020 running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  I have VLC media player (up to date)

What to do?

Could be a myriad of problems...

Start with the basics. Open up the case and check the cables, both power and sata, are connected properly.

If the cables are connected properly and the optical drive is powering up, you may want to consider taking it for someone to have a look at it. Bit hard to diagnose problems without being able to look at it.

You need to find the device driver for it, and uninstall it. Then re-install and it should fix your problem. Just google how to do it on your model and someone has probably posted a step by step you tube video.

A older player or operatingsystem ?
Could be just a setting and change zone to whereever u are if u changed to a asian dvd inst of european or Us.

Not so common on newer cpus or dvdplayers.. But can be a solution.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

it might sound too simple, but check the connections on the back are seated correctly or return it to the manufacturer.

Even if you have the latest VLC program, if your system doesn't recognise it, then it doesn't exist?

19 hours ago, mongo2 said:

The PC came with a DVD player in the chassis. I assume this id called an "Optical Drive".

What to do?

PC is a DELL Optiplex 3020 running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  I have VLC media player (up to date

Did the DVD player in this computer ever work? Judging by the review below, the computer may have come with Windows 7, is only a few years old. Win 10 _should_ have drivers and the ability to recognize and run this device. In rare cases that may not be true. 

As others have suggested, I'd be looking at connectivity (cabling) and whether the device is receiving power. Try disconnecting the data cable, then reconnecting and see if Windows recognizes the device. 

If none of that works you could consider rolling back to Win 7 or replacing the device with a newer model. A 3rd option is hassling with getting drivers installed/working using workarounds when the operating system has already failed the install. That option can be time consuming, frustrating and success is "iffy". Good luck. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488414,00.asp

The PC came with W10Pro, 64 bit installed at the factory.

So far I have gone to the DELL website and ran a diagnostics check on their troubleshoot page.  The PC passed all diagnostic tests but still no mention of an optical drive.  Still working on it, no solutions yet.

Stupid question perhaps, but what/which is the 'data cable'.

23 hours ago, mongo2 said:

What to do?

PC is a DELL Optiplex 3020 running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  I have VLC media player (up to date)

I had this exact issue yesterday.

For what ever reason after I updated iTunes on my PC it no longer connected to the DVD drive. I uninstalled iTunes and followed the on screen prompts and the PC found and downloaded the correct drivers to fix the issue. 

I hate IT and I doubt I the above includes all steps I took as I was just swearing a lot and clicking the mouse a lot!

Thanks to all posters thus far.  Unfortunately I need to take a break from trying to fix the issue.  Must attend a funeral.  Will return to this issue after tomorrow afternoon.

12 hours ago, CyberPro said:

Did the DVD player in this computer ever work? Judging by the review below, the computer may have come with Windows 7, is only a few years old. Win 10 _should_ have drivers and the ability to recognize and run this device. In rare cases that may not be true. 

As others have suggested, I'd be looking at connectivity (cabling) and whether the device is receiving power. Try disconnecting the data cable, then reconnecting and see if Windows recognizes the device. 

If none of that works you could consider rolling back to Win 7 or replacing the device with a newer model. A 3rd option is hassling with getting drivers installed/working using workarounds when the operating system has already failed the install. That option can be time consuming, frustrating and success is "iffy". Good luck. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488414,00.asp

The DELL Optiplex 3020 that I have is not the small form factor model.  Approximate dimensions of the tower are 14 inches tall, 7 inches wide, and 16 inches deep.  It came with W10Pro, 64 bit pre-installed at the factory.

Again I ask readers 'What is the data cable'?

Again I ask readers 'What is the data cable'?

It's the internal cable that connects the optical drive to the motherboard.

Is the drive receiving power, are you able to open and close the drive?
Check both cables are connected properly (both the power and the sata cable) to the drive and to the motherboard/power source unit.

I think you should take the computer somewhere to be looked at.
Or buy another optical drive and install that.

Optical drives are generally very cheap.  If you don't want to learn how to remove an old one and replace it just get an external USB drive.  You can get them in the US for $20 and up.  If you need to take the PC in later for some other issue remember to ask them to look at the dead drive.

If you do want to consider doing it yourself just go on Youtube and search for "How to remove a DVD drive from a computer(or your specific model)".  The video should explain what cables are what and where they go but generally the connectors are different enough that it should be obvious which cable goes on which connector.  There will be two you need to connect, one for power coming from the power supply (it is the thing you plug the power cable that goes into the wall into) and the SATA cable which connects to the motherboard.  You are normally just connecting them to the DVD not the motherboard or power supply.  If the current one does not have those cables plugged into it there are usually spare cables in the case to connect other devices.  If you find no spares you'll need to buy one and connect it to the motherboard.  The power supply (almost) always has extra cables.  If it doesn't you either need a different power supply or you'll need to go with an external drive.

20 hours ago, The Storm said:

I had this exact issue yesterday.

For what ever reason after I updated iTunes on my PC it no longer connected to the DVD drive. I uninstalled iTunes and followed the on screen prompts and the PC found and downloaded the correct drivers to fix the issue. 

I hate IT and I doubt I the above includes all steps I took as I was just swearing a lot and clicking the mouse a lot!

Good Lord! Yet another reason to avoid Windows 10 (IMO). Application software shouldn't be able to disable hardware, again IMO. 

So now the OP has to include rolling back updates to his list of possible fixes. 

Here's even more: 

It's either a driver issue or a sata cable or the control board of the drive. Well, it could be other things, but not likely.

The easiest way to check is replacing the sata cable if you've got one laying around.  Even just fiddle around with the one that's there. It sounds like the most likely problem, given that the drive is getting power. Try it in another sata port on the motherboard too.

If that doesn't do it, boot into Linux from a USB stick and see if the drive works. If it works under Linux the windows drivers are fucked.  (You don't need to do this but it's the quickest way to troubleshoot driver issues. Just use a different OS.) That might be the case, but with modern hardware the default drivers in windows will work just about all the time.  Get the drivers you need online and install.

If neither of those work the drive is fucked and not worth trying to fix, because optical drives are cheap as hell. 

Or your motherboards sata connections are fucked. Or maybe a bios issue. Or...

55 good luck..

• 2 weeks later...

Run through instructions here in the first instance; http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln148709/optical-disk-drive-is-not-recognized-in-microsoft-windows-or-other-applications?lang=en

The first thing to do is to see if it is listed within the BIOS setup. All instructions included behind the link.

• 3 months later...

Update on this problem:

I called a technician out.  He unplugged the motherboard end of the SATA cable and plugged it into another socket.  The CD/DVD drive has worked fine since.

New problem:

Today I downloaded a system inspection application called ESET SysInspector.  I downloaded it directly from the ESET website.  The app downloaded and installed successfully and I ran it a bit to get familiar with it.  Then shut it off using the X in the top right corner of the page.

Later I wanted to take another look at it but could not find a desktop icon.  I opened the Start menu and cannot find the app listed anywhere.

Confused as to what to do!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-02-10 at 10:21, mongo2 said:

Update on this problem:

I called a technician out.  He unplugged the motherboard end of the SATA cable and plugged it into another socket.  The CD/DVD drive has worked fine since.

New problem:

Today I downloaded a system inspection application called ESET SysInspector.  I downloaded it directly from the ESET website.  The app downloaded and installed successfully and I ran it a bit to get familiar with it.  Then shut it off using the X in the top right corner of the page.

Later I wanted to take another look at it but could not find a desktop icon.  I opened the Start menu and cannot find the app listed anywhere.

Confused as to what to do!  

That's easy to find your Antivirus program on your windows. 

Easiest way - Click Windows start then write "ESET" on the command line then it will be searched and come in there and after you see the icon just hit Enter ;)

Second way- You need to find the root folder of your Antivirus. You should follow the path -> C:  -> Windows -> Program files -> Then find your Antivirus software folder. Find  ''.exe'' which is the guy you want. Also you can make a shortcut to the windows if you want. 

• 1 year later...

It has been a while since I visited this topic.  Now I want to thank all of you who have helped me on this one.

Archived