IGNORED

Checking expiry and extending validity

Jumpin Jack Flash

I got a Thai SIM card (AIS) in August, only used it for a week while I was in LOS. Back in the UK I've still got it so I'm wondering if its still valid (I'll be returning to Thailand in November).

I'd like to extend it if possible, to re-use it again on my next trip.

So, I just tried putting the Thai SIM into my phone and dialled *121#  but I'm getting an error message

"Not registered on network"

Roaming is switched on, so what am I missing ?   Does this just mean the SIM is dead now ?

1 hour ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

So, I just tried putting the Thai SIM into my phone and dialled *121#  but I'm getting an error message

You are in England, right?

*121#   is a number in Thailand for Call Check.

Try to send SMS to your UK number with the Thai Sim, then put the UK Sim back.

If you have some friends in Thailand at the moment, ask them to top upp your number, then is it upp to date.

Otherwise the Sims are valid one year from the last action.

^ Close enough, I'm in Scotland.

I just tried sending myself a text message from my Thai sim to my UK number, but it didn't send. I get 2 Error messages

"no signal found for mobile networks"

"Currently unable to send your message"

11 hours ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

"Not registered on network"

Roaming is switched on, so what am I missing ?   Does this just mean the SIM is dead now ?

I'd say it's dead. The USSD code is not location specific, if, as you say roaming was enabled then the code would have worked (you'd also have network coverage).

Have you tried extending it via internet to the AIS website instead of dialing codes on the mobile network.

I have dtac and their site has an online refill.  On the dtac site, the prepaid button has a refill link where you imput your phone #.  But I haven't tried it. This past trip  I remembered to top up before coming home.   I believe 10b  gives you an extra 30 days.

No need to waste money on topping up. Check with AIS as to whether is it still live in the first instance.

Perhaps contact them via Live Chat.

Archived