IGNORED

Electrical Earthing (aka Grounding) Issues

mongo2

As some may recall I recently purchased a laptop.  The salesperson at Power Buy convinced me to also buy a 3 socket "Surge Protector" extension cord.  Brand name is Toshino, model E-913SY.  Each socket is a three prong.  My question is not in regard to the "Surge Protector". It more about the topic of the three prong system.

I live in a condo that is likely over 20 years old.  Most but not all of the wall sockets are 2 prong.  I am not an electrician, but I am assuming the entire condo is not grounded (earthed).  If I am wrong please advise.

I have used a desktop here for many years (since 2007) without any problems. not any "surge protection". 

So, my question is: If I plug this new laptop into the new Surge Protector and that into a 3 extension cord that plugs into a 2 prong wall socket, IS there really any surge protection at all.

Probably worth investing in a decent quality UPS if your looking for pretty fool proof protection for an expensive laptop. I have no idea on prices for one in Thailand, a half decent one here in Ozz runs at about 3,500 to 5,000 baht.

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Yes, all surge protector that I know do need a 3 connectors socket, as their principle is to send on the Earth wire the extra energy they may receive, because of a lightning strike by example.

Many information on the web :

Electrical surge circuit when their is no surge

Graph from: http://www.judgeelectrical.co.uk/domestic-electrical/surge-protection/electrical-surge-protection.html

Even the old condos are in fact "grounded", because of the way they are built. The metal structure in the concrete can easily conduct a surge down to the ground. So if you really need it you must find a way to connect your yellow-green earth wire to one of these metal parts in the wall.

Surge protection is to control from large increases in voltage so you are protected  for that just not from earthing problems. The 2 pin surge protectors divert from live to neutral instead of earth.

Could not find a picture, but some two pronged plugs have a metal strip along them that make contact with similar inside the socket, hence making an earth connection.

Doubtful that your condo has no earthing, but TIT.

Most laptops do not require an earth as they will be fed via some kind of transformer usually as part of the lead, and hence "low voltage". Classed as Cat 1 items in UK.

Whilst the surge protection is advisable, I think that the transformer would also protect the laptop from a surge current. 

Here's a link to a 2 pin surge protector if you want to go that route. This is APC's Thailand page. The surge protector is also sold in the US for a little over $17. 

http://www.apc.com/shop/th/en/products/APC-Notebook-Surge-Protector-for-AC-phone-and-network-lines-2-pin-connection-100-240V-EMEA/P-PNOTEPROC8-EC?isCurrentSite=true

Here's a link to a 2 pin surge protector if you want to go that route. This is APC's Thailand page. The surge protector is also sold in the US for a little over $17. 

http://www.apc.com/shop/th/en/products/APC-Notebook-Surge-Protector-for-AC-phone-and-network-lines-2-pin-connection-100-240V-EMEA/P-PNOTEPROC8-EC?isCurrentSite=true

On 9/29/2017 at 15:20, Oukiva said:

Even the old condos are in fact "grounded", because of the way they are built. The metal structure in the concrete can easily conduct a surge down to the ground. So if you really need it you must find a way to connect your yellow-green earth wire to one of these metal parts in the wall.

The OP doesn't say which building, but since you are obviously familiar with Center Condo' (For Sale ad') are you able to clarify the situation there?

A few months ago notices were displayed advising which rooms were due to be provided with an earthing system (mine wasn't one) and when I enquired later I was quoted about 7k.
As far as I could work out that only provided an earth to the consumer unit, so I would then have to install green cable to some or all sockets /water heaters and change them to 3 pin, so as yet I haven't done anything.
The tingle from some appliances, including my PC, is quite significant and I understand can shorten the life of circuit boards etc?

On 9/29/2017 at 16:18, Evilfriar said:

Probably worth investing in a decent quality UPS if your looking for pretty fool proof protection for an expensive laptop. I have no idea on prices for one in Thailand, a half decent one here in Ozz runs at about 3,500 to 5,000 baht.

Cheers

Agreed, a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) will not just keep your PC running  (for a short time) during power outages, it will also protect against electrical surges, with the exception of power surges via your telephone line, IE lightning strike, but lets face it, that is very rare.

Even if a cheap UPS gives you enough time to shut down, after saving your work, then it has paid for itself.

I have a 2nd hand UPS that only lasts 10 minutes (at best) as it is old, but I use it for surge protection predominantly, but I like the option to be able to save, then shut down my work PC as I have inadequate backup with regards to an hour by hour backup.

Not just that, I have four IP security camera's which use PoE  (Power over Ethernet) to power them, and are very sensitive to any power surge, either you lose the camera or you lose the PoE switch (or both), either way is not covered by the manufacturers warranty. 

The more expensive power board surge protectors also have a phone connection I/O to cover the phone line surge.

To be straight to the point, I had a client who lost a camera plus a port on their PoE switch, due to a power surge, good for me as I sold him another camera + PoE switch but he (after advice) went to the local hardware supplier and bought a UPS.

I can watch my camera's from Thailand and can store 30 days worth of footage  in full HD 555555

Archived