Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"kamlang Gai"

Pure

Hi,

Does anyone know what kamlang Gai means ?

I know that "Gai" is Chicken but what does Kamlang mean,

Job 2 Do has a song named that, so does anyone know what it means ?

Fuck It, Before It Fucks You!

Hi,

Does anyone know what kamlang Gai means ?

I know that "Gai" is Chicken but what does Kamlang mean,

Job 2 Do has a song named that, so does anyone know what it means ?

It means to exercise or expend energy. The word Kai isn't the same one that means chicken. It's a totally different word even if it might sound similar to most foreigners. Kamlang means "at this moment"

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

It means to exercise or expend energy. The word Kai isn't the same one that means chicken. It's a totally different word even if it might sound similar to most foreigners. Kamlang means "at this moment"

Depending on how someone is pronouncing Kamlang (ie Gkam-lang) Dr W O'b, do you reckon it could refer to the "ing" as in Exercising ???

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of pasa thai. Im rusty as hell just now.

Depending on how someone is pronouncing Kamlang (ie Gkam-lang) Dr W O'b, do you reckon it could refer to the "ing" as in Exercising ???

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of pasa thai. Im rusty as hell just now.

kamlang กำลัง means, energy, force or power. It is also used to indicate that something is currently happening as the Thai language does not use different forms of a verb when referring to past, present and future as the English language does. i.e phom kamlang pai raan ahaan= I am going to the restaurant (right now) phom ja pai raan ahaan= I will go to the restaurant. phom pai raan ahaan maa = I have been to the restaurant

Cheers for that. Im there for a few weeks in March, so I hope it all (or most!) starts to fit into place again.

:GoldenSmile1:

กำลัง is one of those words that a lot of thais omit quite often I find. Lazy thai me thinks.

I always think gamlang as adding 'ing' to a word or phrase.

And 'hong awk gam-lang-gai' means 'Gym','Gymnasium' .

Edited by herds

Yep its a pre-verb and is often used with the word yuu (dont know the spelling sorry) to indicate that an action is happening now/unfinished or temporary for present progressive tenses.

e.g. Khao kamlang kap rot glap baan (He is driving home)

or

e.g. Khao kamlang kap rot glap baan yuu (He is driving home right now which explicitly states that an action is happening right now)

There are rules where the preverb is omitted when using the word "yang" (yet/still). When using it as still or yet the word pre-verb is omitted. But when the word "yang" is used as "yet" the "yuu" is omitted from the sentence structure.

e.g Khao kamlang an nang-sue pim yuu (He is reading a newspaper right now)

or with the use of "yang" meaning "still"

Khao yang an nang-sue pim yuu

Sorry for the crap spelling on the Thai but hopefully you get the jist.

Hope this helps and more experiences BM's please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Edited by Ajay75

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

thanks for the awnsers :Drunk_Party:

I thought that chicken were spelled like that, guess it depends on

who you ask.

copy from thai2eng;

ไก่

gai

Fuck It, Before It Fucks You!

thanks for the awnsers :rolleyes:

I thought that chicken were spelled like that, guess it depends on

who you ask.

copy from thai2eng;

ไก่

gai

It's a different word กาย meaning physical or of the body and is promounced long and mid tone as opposed to kai ไก่ meaning chicken which is pronounced with a low tone and shorter.

I think the song is actually called "gam lang jai" กำลังใจ

So it would mean strength of the heart or spirit....or something along those lines.

thnaks for those rules ajay, reaffirmed what I thought.

Anyone know a good site that has rules like this for? It's something I haven't formally learnt yet.

Example like: 'man' > 'runs' > 'fast'

rules... 'noun' > 'verb' > 'adjective'

thnaks for those rules ajay, reaffirmed what I thought.

Anyone know a good site that has rules like this for? It's something I haven't formally learnt yet.

Example like: 'man' > 'runs' > 'fast'

rules... 'noun' > 'verb' > 'adjective'

Yes mate goto LearnThaiPodcast.com but you will have to sign up for the Premium Course at a cost of $20 per month.

They have got transcripts, audio and video content of each lesson. Currently there is 75 premium lessons and about 190 vocabulary lessons each ranging from around 10 to 20 mins each.

Really helpful in learning the various rules of all manner of tenses, pro-nouns, adjectives, comparisons, model auxilary verbs, classifiers etc etc. They also have lots of conversation lessons taken from movies, TV etc and break it all down word for word and explain what is being said and why.

Worth the money IMO as its not really alot and they add lessons every 2 weeks. Its very modern Thai and upto date with what is being spoken right now. Theres loads of slang terms as well which I was quite suprised to hear.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)