IGNORED

That was a result....

Kim Jong Il

Just booked my tickets for my up coming trip at the end of November.

Price came out at about £650 return.

Now, I have a miles and more membership which to be honest I've pretty much ignored, other than flashing the card when I check in for a star alliance flight, so I thought I wonder how all this air miles crap actually works.

Managed to log in and was asked if I would like to use my miles as part payment for the ticket.

All went very smoothly and the ticket came down to £100.

Now I know its not a fortune saved but as the miles all came from previous company travel then I consider it to be a reasonable result.....more mongering money!

Since I've been living here in Thailand, my frequent-flyer cards have also been very helpful in getting an extra 10kgs of hold-luggage onto the homeward-flight, that's when I'm trying to bring the max in books/music/farang-sized-clothes/sweets-for-the-kids/presents-for-her-indoors !  :rolleyes:

I tend to decide on an airline to be loyal to, based on low-pricing & convenience & acceptable-comfort, then use it for three-years (until the accumulated-airmiles are about to start to drop-out), and buy a discount-ticket in the same way as the OP.

So far I've used Etihad/Qatar/Jet-Airways for this, and I'm now back with Qatar, but Oman Air is my likely next one beyond them.

Inevitably prices-rise & standards-fall or connections-disappear over a few years, once the airline stops cutting-prices to win new business, so one needs to switch every three or four years.

23 hours ago, Kim Jong Il said:

Just booked my tickets for my up coming trip at the end of November.

Price came out at about £650 return.

Now, I have a miles and more membership which to be honest I've pretty much ignored, other than flashing the card when I check in for a star alliance flight, so I thought I wonder how all this air miles crap actually works.

Managed to log in and was asked if I would like to use my miles as part payment for the ticket.

All went very smoothly and the ticket came down to £100.

Now I know its not a fortune saved but as the miles all came from previous company travel then I consider it to be a reasonable result.....more mongering money!

Who was charging £650 in November in the first place !  Good result in getting £100 in the end though

Just now, OmarB said:

Who was charging £650 in November in the first place !  Good result in getting £100 in the end though

As I live in southern Poland I don't have the luxury of lots of price competition.

I usually end up using Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Price has been around this level in Polish Zloty for years now. As the pound is down a bit these days it makes my fare even dearer in pound terms.

Archived