IGNORED

Turkish Airlines ??

ChiFlyer

I have been looking at some lower cost Business fares from BKK to the US. Turkish Airlines is $4000 USD round trip and about $2500 USD one way. I have a lot of AA One World points, but can not find awards for the dates I want some time. This occasionally results in my grabbing a one way award to get over and then waiting for a return. About to run out of time on return options for my early 2018 trip (O-A processing time), so thinking of grabbing the Turkish Airlines option. That would be a combined cost of $2500 for a round trip Business Class trip, which I consider to be acceptable.

Anyone have experience with Turkish Airlines? They seem to be well enough thought of on the web and the Istanbul Lounge gets good reviews. 

They get high marks for meals in all compartments. I'm using them in April from JFK to India in economy.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

I have used Turkish 5 outta 7 trips to LOS, never had a delay or anything to complain about.

Excellent airline; I've only flown then on one round trip to BKK (4 flights in total) but everything was bang on.

Used them 3 times, nothing to complain about and been happy with their service 

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

They used to give an overnight accomodation layover on one way of a return booking, if requested. It may allow for an evening and half day trip around Istanbul. 

12 hours ago, Derbynjoan said:

They used to give an overnight accomodation layover on one way of a return booking, if requested. It may allow for an evening and half day trip around Istanbul. 

Well worth a look around Istanbul IMO.

image.png

11 hours ago, Jebb said:

Well worth a look around Istanbul IMO.

Did this a few years back...had an 8 hour layover , took a shower in the lounge and locked up my carry on bag in the provided lockers. Took the light rail from the airport into the city. Saw the Grand bazaar , Blue Mosque , ate , drank tea from a street vendor ( in a glass cup ) ....  very enjoyable.  

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

They've been awarded Best European Airline for six years now. I've flying Turkish Airlines a lot of times but never to LOS, only trips up to three hours. Quite ok.

Porque la vida es sueño, y los sueños sueños son

Haven't used them since they became a Star Alliance partner but they were ok then and can only be better now.

image.png

10 hours ago, MarcusS said:

They've been awarded Best European Airline for six years now. I've flying Turkish Airlines a lot of times but never to LOS, only trips up to three hours. Quite ok.

Was in Istanbul for a week 2 weeks ago, well worth it if you have the transit time to get into town and explore a little.

Nice airline, just a shame about Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. What a shit hole place that is!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Again - thanks all.

For economy reasons (able to get a One World rewards ticket thru HKG) I am not using them on this trip, but I am very interested for future trips. I would (given my ORD destination) have a 9 hour layover in IST. Your suggestions sound interesting.

Traveling Business Class, I would have lounge access, which I hear is very nice. Still a little of the exploring you mention sounds compelling. 

1 minute ago, ChiFlyer said:

Again - thanks all.

For economy reasons (able to get a One World rewards ticket thru HKG) I am not using them on this trip, but I am very interested for future trips. I would (given my ORD destination) have a 9 hour layover in IST. Your suggestions sound interesting.

Traveling Business Class, I would have lounge access, which I hear is very nice. Still a little of the exploring you mention sounds compelling. 

As I said in another thread, Turkish have developed a very good reputation in Business Class - though I haven't used them myself.

A friend used them last week (Bahrain-Gatwick) and said they were ok in Economy but that the airport was utter chaos.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Just now, davidge said:

As I said in another thread, Turkish have developed a very good reputation in Business Class - though I haven't used them myself.

A friend used them last week (Bahrain-Gatwick) and said they were ok in Economy but that the airport was utter chaos.

Thanks Davidge.

A Q for you, if you do not mind. Before the country flags went away, I noticed that yours was a Lion on a Greenish background. Is that for Scotland or some where else? Just curious. 

IMG_7403.PNG.f461bcef38fb595369c56af11439e407.PNG

It's a dragon. I'm Welsh :D

Istanbul was Europe's 3rd busiest airport but now 5th like alot of airports it is operating beyond it capacity, a new airport is being built it will the biggest in the world 1st stage which will be able to handle 90 million passengers a year is due to open late next year when it is finish it will have 6 runways and be able to handle 200 million passengers.

9 minutes ago, davidge said:

IMG_7403.PNG.f461bcef38fb595369c56af11439e407.PNG

It's a dragon. I'm Welsh :D

Cool - the original ChiFlyer's were Scotts before they came to America under British names and immediately began moving West in a hurry. :rolleyes:     

1 minute ago, ChiFlyer said:

Cool - the original ChiFlyer's were Scotts before they came to America under British names and immediately began moving West in a hurry. :rolleyes:     

Well, Scottish ancestry almost as good as Welsh.

Anything but English :P

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Again - thanks all.

Worth it for the lounge alone it is amazing. To be honest best I have ever been in including some 1st class ones. Its on 3 floors and has everything you could want..... well almost everyth...

Meals cooked freshly for you to order, fridges of great cold Efes Beer and trolleys of superb wines.

Airport itself is a bit of a shithole as Firth says but the lounge is good and the flight also top drawer. Very hospitable people the Turks and yes Istanbul is one of the best cities to explore on earth.

You'll enjoy it Chi .... good luck. :Flying:

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Worth it for the lounge alone it is amazing. To be honest best I have ever been in including some 1st class ones. Its on 3 floors and has everything you could want..... well almost everyth...

Meals cooked freshly for you to order, fridges of great cold Efes Beer and trolleys of superb wines.

Airport itself is a bit of a shithole as Firth says but the lounge is good and the flight also top drawer. Very hospitable people the Turks and yes Istanbul is one of the best cities to explore on earth.

You'll enjoy it Chi .... good luck. :Flying:

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Istanbul is a beautiful city to explore. Well worth maybe a couple of days stopover instead.

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG