Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Qatar Payment Verification ???

Hound

I booked Bangkok to the US a couple of days ago. Paid by credit card and payment has been posted to my account.  I got this email that I think is unusual and am not sure it is not a scam.  Has anyone else gotten this?  What did you do?

Payment Verification (Qatar Airways Support)

Aug 21, 17:26 +03

Dear xxxx/xxxx MR,

Thank you for booking with qatarairways.com. We have received your booking under reference RNSxxx and are reviewing your payment.

To ensure we can finalize your payment verification, please provide additional payment information (Passport copy of the card holder and copy of Credit card Statement from card issuing bank) within 48 hours by following this link:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/verify-credit-card.html

Yours sincerely,
Qatar Airways Support

Big John

Sounds a bit dubious but had a look on the Internet & it seems it is something Qatar uses for verification. I would not use the link but manually enter it in manually. 

29 minutes ago, Hound said:

I don't like the idea of sending them my credit card statement.

I agree I would send a copy of my Passport.

This sort of thing is quite common if there isnt much time between your booking and your flight.

Have looked on the internet it has happened they cancel the ticket.

1 hour ago, mbamber said:

Have looked on the internet it has happened they cancel the ticket.

You might perhaps try calling the Qatar Airways reservations-office in Bangkok, they might resurrect the booking, or agree to do their credit-card/passport/I.D. verification at check-in ?

https://www.contactqatarairways.com/bangkok-thailand/

Firstly i wouldn't have used Qatar, secondly usually there is additional security with your credit card company set up requiring a password, maybe you haven't set this up before.

I always fly to BKK with QA. Just booked my trip 2 days ago. NEVER got such message from QA. Sounds very weird !!!!

They never ask about that kind of info. Beware!

Cancel that ticket and book a new one. and make sure you are in the right page.....

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Firstly i wouldn't have used Qatar,

I've flown with them many times in business class (including the world's second longest flight: DOH>LAX at 16 hours). Would not hesitate to do so again. Good service both on the ground and in the air.

15 hours ago, Hound said:

They want that to prove that you are really the card holder. It's no big deal.

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Hound said:

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They want that to prove that you are really the card holder. It's no big deal.

I think it is a big deal, no way would I send anyone a copy of my credit card statement. Buying a ticket on line or on the phone, the only verification is giving them the 3 or 4 number security code on the card.

Giving them the information on the passport is OK, but they don't need to have a copy of it.

A few times when checking in I have been asked to see the credit card I used to book the ticket before getting my boarding pass.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I've flown with them many times in business class (including the world's second longest flight: DOH>LAX at 16 hours). Would not hesitate to do so again. Good service both on the ground and in the air.
Even in their current financial situation? With the embargo and gulf row. I'd opt for an alternative or ensure i have insurance that covers it.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Even in their current financial situation? With the embargo and gulf row. I'd opt for an alternative or ensure i have insurance that covers it.

Qatar had an operating profit of £450 million for the year ending May 2017.  I don't think they will be shutting down any time soon.

https://www.qatarairways.com/content/dam/documents/annual-reports/2017_Annual_Report_ENGLISH-WEB.pdf

There are so many on going scams at the moment i don't know if I'm coming or going

In this case the first thing i do is to ring the company concerned to find out about the

email, and normally i am told to delete it or foward it on to them.

I would never send any information without getting a full check first and i know because

i am always getting a scam of some sort all to often.

I called the Bangkok office.  After being on hold for 10 minutes, I gave  up.  I tried to send them a partial credit card statement.  They replied that they required the statement with the transaction used to purchase the ticket.  This is crazy as that statement will not be created until next month. 

Later I got an email saying I will have to produce the credit card used when checking in at the airport.

Big John

So presumably they have reinstated your booking, or you wouldn't be planning to check-in at BKK, and now you just need to show your credit-card & passport at-that point ?   Sounds like a reversion to more-normal  conditions.

Have a good flight !

13 hours ago, Hound said:

I called the Bangkok office.  After being on hold for 10 minutes, I gave  up.  I tried to send them a partial credit card statement.  They replied that they required the statement with the transaction used to purchase the ticket.  This is crazy as that statement will not be created until next month. 

Later I got an email saying I will have to produce the credit card used when checking in at the airport.

Over the last 5 years now i am told to bring the credit card used to

purchase the flights whether it is Etihad or Qatar for checking.

Not once have either Etihad or Qatar asked me for the credit card

used for purchase at check-in for checking, bit of a waste of time.

And i have at least two or more trips per year.

On 23/08/2017 at 11:41 PM, LeoTex said:

I think it is a big deal, no way would I send anyone a copy of my credit card statement. Buying a ticket on line or on the phone, the only verification is giving them the 3 or 4 number security code on the card.

Giving them the information on the passport is OK, but they don't need to have a copy of it.

The point is that anyone who has ever seen your card or passport can give that information fraudulently. They cant provide a copy of your statement or your passport though.

Qatar (and other airlines) are just trying to minimise the possibility of someone using false CC details for a flight that is taking place soon, as the real card holder may not even notice the charge until well after the flight. This is why they often reserve the right to see the card used for payment at the time of check-in.

I generally book months in advance and so I never get these verification requests. Any discrepancy between the traveller's name and the card holder's name (no matter how small) is also likely to trigger requests for verification.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The point is that anyone who has ever seen your card or passport can give that information fraudulently. They cant provide a copy of your statement or your passport though.

Qatar (and other airlines) are just trying to minimise the possibility of someone using false CC details for a flight that is taking place soon, as the real card holder may not even notice the charge until well after the flight. This is why they often reserve the right to see the card used for payment at the time of check-in.

I generally book months in advance and so I never get these verification requests. Any discrepancy between the traveller's name and the card holder's name (no matter how small) is also likely to trigger requests for verification.

I agree with them wanting to see your credit card used to make the reservation at check in and of course your ID (passport).

I know that someone with your information could make a reservation on one of the airlines, but again when checking in, a verification at check in would solve any question the airline might have.

I don't agree with making copies of your credit card statement and passport to send in to the airline which I would never do. Like one post said sometimes it could be a month before you have the statement in hand.

A few times in my earlier travels to Thailand the airline asked to see my credit card at check in. I didn't carry that card when traveling, but with my passport and having the right answers to their questions worked. I have made reservations few times for side trips from Bangkok to the Philippines and also the reverse on Philippines Airline. Lucky for me when making the reservations, they told me that I would need to show my credit card at check in both in Bangkok and Manila. I then used the credit card that I do carry when traveling.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2017 at 06:14, Hound said:

I booked Bangkok to the US a couple of days ago. Paid by credit card and payment has been posted to my account.  I got this email that I think is unusual and am not sure it is not a scam.  Has anyone else gotten this?  What did you do?

Payment Verification (Qatar Airways Support)

Aug 21, 17:26 +03

Dear xxxx/xxxx MR,

Thank you for booking with qatarairways.com. We have received your booking under reference RNSxxx and are reviewing your payment.

To ensure we can finalize your payment verification, please provide additional payment information (Passport copy of the card holder and copy of Credit card Statement from card issuing bank) within 48 hours by following this link:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/verify-credit-card.html

Yours sincerely,
Qatar Airways Support

Nope. My experience was straight forward . E-ticket sent immediately .they are poor however in responding to queries ,  takes a few days , I hope you get sorted out to your satisfaction. BTW , I am in Ireland so there may be different security chrcks on other bookings / citizens. 

All this can be mitigated with a proper travel agent but nobody wants to pay a fee any more.

A human travel agent not Expedia etc.

Archived