IGNORED

Crispy salt and pepper squid?

mochatsubo

Hi Guys:

I'm craving some crispy salt and pepper squid. I've seen places offering calamari, but can anyone suggest a restaurant selling the Chinese version? I'm looking for super crispy, non-oily, salty, hot, and a touch vinegary.

I'm staying at the VT6. 

image.png.c300a1071a7ac4f6c4ef5fea60f1b1ab.png

I know the dish well. Haven't seen it anywhere in Pattaya. 

You might want to try White Pines which does a good fusiony fried squid dish with garlic, a mix of Thai and western style. 

1 hour ago, mochatsubo said:

Hi Guys:

I'm craving some crispy salt and pepper squid. I've seen places offering calamari, but can anyone suggest a restaurant selling the Chinese version? I'm looking for super crispy, non-oily, salty, hot, and a Touch vinegary.

I'm staying at the VT6. 

image.png.c300a1071a7ac4f6c4ef5fea60f1b1ab.png

I'm salivating here.....

4 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

It's a common Chinese dish with shrimp in the shell as well. 

Yeah get that a lot here. I don't understand it as once you peel the shell off all the salt n pepper etc is gone. I see the Thais eating the shell - not for me Ronnie.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

1 minute ago, whitespider said:

Yeah get that a lot here. I don't understand it as once you peel the shell off all the salt n pepper etc is gone. I see the Thais eating the shell - not for me Ronnie.

I always eat the shell too but not the head. 

30 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

I know the dish well. Haven't seen it anywhere in Pattaya. 

You might want to try White Pines which does a good fusiony fried squid dish with garlic, a mix of Thai and western style. 

Yeah, I haven't seen it either. I've stopped by most of the Chinese/Thai places and looked at menus every time I walked by one.

Is there a "wish I could find this dish in Pattaya" thread? There is a lot to eat here, but I find somethings missing. Like where can I get real Korean food? Something honest like bibimbab.

image.png.5c5371cca7db15166f213722299aa7ee.png

13 minutes ago, mochatsubo said:

Yeah, I haven't seen it either. I've stopped by most of the Chinese/Thai places and looked at menus every time I walked by one.

Is there a "wish I could find this dish in Pattaya" thread? There is a lot to eat here, but I find somethings missing. Like where can I get real Korean food? Something honest like bibimbab.

image.png.5c5371cca7db15166f213722299aa7ee.png

Bibimbap is easy to find. There are probably about 10 Korean restaurants in town and they all have it. But I don't think Bonchon chicken does as they specialize in Korean fried chicken. 

I have never seen that menu item in Pattaya or anywhere I visited in Thailand. I am thinking that is a very special dish prepared by very experienced cooks to get it right.

7 hours ago, mochatsubo said:

I'm craving some crispy salt and pepper squid. I've seen places offering calamari, but can anyone suggest a restaurant selling the Chinese version? I'm looking for super crispy, non-oily, salty, hot, and a Touch vinegary.

Have you tried the several places in Klang between the corner of Soi Buakow and BigC? There must be half a dozen along there and they arent very touristy. Only a short walk from VT6. I think they are mostly Chinese run (or Thai-Chinese anyway) so you may get lucky.

Korean place across the street from Hollywod Disco. 

Not sure if they have that squid dish or not though. Nice spicy spare ribs and kimchi fried rice.

4 minutes ago, Marcus85 said:

Korean place across the street from Hollywod Disco. 

Not sure if they have that squid dish or not though. Nice spicy spare ribs and kimchi fried rice.

No, they don't and it's not a Korean squid dish. It's a Chinese dish. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Have you tried the several places in Klang between the corner of Soi Buakow and BigC? There must be half a dozen along there and they arent very touristy. Only a short walk from VT6. I think they are mostly Chinese run (or Thai-Chinese anyway) so you may get lucky.

Wild goose chase. You won't find it there. 

There's an excellent Korean restaurant called Bibimbap next to Burger King at the bottom of second road. That parade has a couple of Japanese and at least one more Korean places.

Maybe the OP or others might be interested in this.

There's a very good Chinese restaurant (called Sichuan restaurant) chain from Bangkok that's now open at Marina Mall.

https://www.facebook.com/Sichuan-Restaurant-1529607747333172/

They do a salt and pepper prawn dish:

They do not do squid though.

So I have my own question. What are some other Chinese places in town that do salt and pepper prawns? Not Thai Chinese but Chinese. 

Some of those places might be willing to do a squid version on request. 

Archived