IGNORED

6 months minimum left on Thai passport question.

The Sly Fox

My TGF's Thai passport expires on 21 Nov 2018. We'll we going to Australia next year and Australia doesn't have this minimum 6 months left on passport rule. So when we depart Australia TGF may well have 4 or 5 months left on her passport, and after returning to LOS we'll get her a new one.

My question is. We'll likely be passing through KL airport on the way back, not officially entering Malaysia but just transit for a couple hours while waiting for next flight to BKK. So if she only had 5 months left would that be a problem for her?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I don't believe that it will be an issue. Even with Air Asia you do not go through immigration when transiting in KL.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I transit KL every trip, never had to show my passport. 

I fly MAS and arrive / depart from the KLIA main terminals. 

2 hours ago, Cheetos said:

why take a risk? best to renew passport now.

Obviously that option has occurred to me, but it seems a bit weird to have to renew her passport now when it still has 15 months validity.

2 hours ago, Dr No said:

I transit KL every trip, never had to show my passport. 

I fly MAS and arrive / depart from the KLIA main terminals. 

In the past you had to go through immigration when flying with Air Asia but it is no longer the case.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

1 hour ago, The Sly Fox said:

Obviously that option has occurred to me, but it seems a bit weird to have to renew her passport now when it still has 15 months validity.

IMHO as long as you got proof of onward travel you should be fine. I rather pay the extra couple of $ to renew a passport early than to have issues with an Immigration Officer.

I normally renew my passports a year before it expires. You never know how long the South African Home Office will take to do the new one. Luckily on the other hand my British passport renewal only takes a week or two.

1 hour ago, The Sly Fox said:

Do not know the rules with a Thai passport but my UK passport ran out in July last year I actually sent it off about 9 months month early which is the limit for the UK still got the full 10 years added on until July 2026.

As far as I am aware transit does not involve entering a Country and Malaysian Immigration is not involved. Therefore if it is OK with Australia and she has a Thai passport there is no problem.

Hi. IMHO there is no risk at all. :)

And I would say even more: I am pretty sure that International Laws allow any citizen to return in his home country with just the proof of this citizenship. An expired Passport or an expired ID Card are valid proof. :)

Can't remember where I saw that clearly explained with laws references though... :unsure:

Thanks for all your replies good people. It was really only the transit in KL that I was a bit concerned about as we'll more than likely fly AA and be changing planes in KL. In all likelihood we'll be making this Aussie trip and returning to BKK while she still has 6 or more months left on her passport. Then we'll get her a new one. There's just a slight chance that we'll be flying back to BKK via KL when she has only 5 months left. But obviously that won't be an issue.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:10 PM, The Sly Fox said:

My TGF's Thai passport expires on 21 Nov 2018. We'll we going to Australia next year and Australia doesn't have this minimum 6 months left on passport rule. So when we depart Australia TGF may well have 4 or 5 months left on her passport, and after returning to LOS we'll get her a new one.

My question is. We'll likely be passing through KL airport on the way back, not officially entering Malaysia but just transit for a couple hours while waiting for next flight to BKK. So if she only had 5 months left would that be a problem for her?

I suspect many who are looking too renew Thai passports will be looking at this thread so I have posted the following that may be useful information to BMs.

I renewed my sons Thai passport in the government office in the Avenue pattaya shopping mall on second road.

It is best to book on line for an appointment time or you may not get seen if you just drop in,  there is a website to do this on.

If you are renewing a child's passport both parents need to attend with passports,  Thai ID card is ok if no passport is held by a thai.

The passport was returned by Registered post in 14 days.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

4 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

It is best to book on line for an appointment time....

Not doing this is likely to lead to a multi-hour wait or a return trip.

8 minutes ago, Scumbag said:

Not doing this is likely to lead to a multi-hour wait or a return trip.

Mrs Dave went without an appointment... got there about 08:00 finally got seen about 14:30 - 15:00, and was lucky to be seen on the day TBH.

After that, it wasn't all that long until it turned up in the post... maybe a week or 12 days... it was pretty quick, other than at the office.

Archived