IGNORED

AAdvantage points

javasumatra

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of airline points advice please.

I recently signed up for an American Airlines credit card and if I spend 3K USD in the first 3 months, I get 60,000 AA points. AA are currently running a promotion where you can buy 150,000 points for 3982 USD and get another 100,000 bonus points. If I buy these points, I will have a total of 310,000 points.

Return flights from Chicago to HKG/BKK in business start at about 4000 USD. A flight with CX in business ORD-HKG is 70,000 points, AA will also refund 10% of spent points up to a max of 10,000. This means (I think) that if I book a long ways in advance, I can pick up a CX business return ticket ORD-HKG for 130,000 points. So for my 3982 USD, I should (subject to availability) be able to book 2 trips ORD-HKG and maybe a couple of HKG-BKK economies.

Has anyone done this? Is my logic flawed? Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Yes, a flight in CX business from ORD-HKG is 70K miles. However for that same 70K ,you can fly from your closet airport in the USA which has AA flights all the way to BKK. The AA flight would be in domestic first class and the international legs can be on either CX or JAL in business. Lots of good advice in the frequent flyer thread Long Haul Busi...

Do you have both AA credit cards (Citi and Barclays)? If not, I'd get the other first, before buying miles. The mileage buying promotions are fairly common. I wouldn't buy any on speculation, only if I needed them for an upcoming trip and award seats were available. 

10 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Yes, a flight in CX business from ORD-HKG is 70K miles. However for that same 70K ,you can fly from your closet airport in the USA which has AA flights all the way to BKK. The AA flight would be in domestic first class and the international legs can be on either CX or JAL in business. Lots of good advice in the frequent flyer thread Long Haul Busi...

Do you have both AA credit cards (Citi and Barclays)? If not, I'd get the other first, before buying miles. The mileage buying promotions are fairly common. I wouldn't buy any on speculation, only if I needed them for an upcoming trip and award seats were available. 

Thanks a lot, I had no idea I could go all the way through for the 70K. I have the citi card, I'll look into the Barclaycard. 

1 minute ago, javasumatra said:

Thanks a lot, I had no idea I could go all the way through for the 70K. I have the citi card, I'll look into the Barclaycard. 

Your location says NC. If you're flying out of there, you should have plenty of options via CLT on AA to any of the airports used by CX or JAL . I'm in the southeast and typically have to fly via CLT or ATL myself. Be sure and check out the thread I mentioned. Others have posted a lot of good info there.

Just now, bgtp said:

Your location says NC. If you're flying out of there, you should have plenty of options via CLT on AA to any of the airports used by CX or JAL . I'm in the southeast and typically have to fly via CLT or ATL myself. Be sure and check out the thread I mentioned. Others have posted a lot of good info there.

I'm about 30 mins from CLT. I used to have quite a few Avios and I used them back in May/June to fly CLT-ORD with AA in coach and then on with CX in first ORD-HKG and biz HKG-BKK, It was lovely. Whats really caught my interest with your post is the possibility of trying out JAL business via NRT/HND. I'm gonna check out that thread, thanks a lot.

10 hours ago, javasumatra said:

...Whats really caught my interest with your post is the possibility of trying out JAL business via NRT/HND. I'm gonna check out that thread, thanks a lot.

Effective 29Oct 2017, JAL will add a second BKK-NRT flight #718 leaving BKK at 23:25 and arriving NRT at 07:15, allowing you to make the midday connection for return flights to the USA.  So, in Oct, JAL will have 2x/day flights to/from BKK/HND&NRT. 

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1853239-jal-adds-2nd-hnd-lhr-nrt-bkk.html

Also keep in mind that if you put the point purchase on your new AA card, you'll not only hit the spending threshold, but will also net the bonus purchase from AA for the miles, effectively tripling the points from the purchase. That is assuming the most recent promotion has been selling through AA and not Points.com (which I believe is the case). 

With that many miles, you could conceivable go one way in first as well and still make two round trip itineraries. 

On 7/19/2017 at 4:41 PM, javasumatra said:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of airline points advice please.

I recently signed up for an American Airlines credit card and if I spend 3K USD in the first 3 months, I get 60,000 AA points. AA are currently running a promotion where you can buy 150,000 points for 3982 USD and get another 100,000 bonus points. If I buy these points, I will have a total of 310,000 points.

Return flights from Chicago to HKG/BKK in business start at about 4000 USD. A flight with CX in business ORD-HKG is 70,000 points, AA will also refund 10% of spent points up to a max of 10,000. This means (I think) that if I book a long ways in advance, I can pick up a CX business return ticket ORD-HKG for 130,000 points. So for my 3982 USD, I should (subject to availability) be able to book 2 trips ORD-HKG and maybe a couple of HKG-BKK economies.

Has anyone done this? Is my logic flawed? Do you guys think this is a good deal?

your logic seems to be ok, but your math is flawed. you did not account for the $3K you have to spend to get the 60,000 bonus miles.  so your out of pocket expense for the 310,000 miles (+ any additional miles for spending $3K) is actually $3,982 + $3,000+ (depending on what you buy). so your not saving as much as you previously thought.

and that's assuming that you can find a flight with the minimum amount of miles necessary. they are getting harder and harder to book.

5 minutes ago, akamai4u2 said:

your logic seems to be ok, but your math is flawed. you did not account for the $3K you have to spend to get the 60,000 bonus miles.  so your out of pocket expense for the 310,000 miles (+ any additional miles for spending $3K) is actually $3,982 + $3,000+ (depending on what you buy). so your not saving as much as you previously thought.

and that's assuming that you can find a flight with the minimum amount of miles necessary. they are getting harder and harder to book.

I was thinking of buying the miles on the card - the $3982 will get me the 60,000 bonus right?

I would recommend checking out what the availability is like for some trips you might want to take in the future.  Saver fares on good flights(good meaning short layovers and minimal connections) can be really really hard to find, especially on partner airlines.  Wasting time trying to hunt down availability is something everyone does when redeeming miles.  But the frustration might be even greater if you're paying thousands of dollars for those miles in the first place.

1 hour ago, javasumatra said:

I was thinking of buying the miles on the card - the $3982 will get me the 60,000 bonus right?

ahhhhh...i seeeee... very clever. you'll need to check the fine print. that is above my pay grade of 2 cents...

• 2 weeks later...

I am retired now, but spent much of the last 20 years in AA airplanes. I have about 500,000 points in the bank, as I have used them over time. I find it difficult to book One World flights in Business from ORD to BKK for several reasons.

• The best routes are on CX and they do not release flights for rewards much in advance.
  • Same is true of AA during high season, but to a lesser degree.

As an example, I was able to book a Business rewards outbound to BKK on AA (connecting on RJ in HKG) for mid-January, but am unable to get a return reward that makes sense. Toying with the idea of buying a Turkish Airlines one way return for about $2500 in Business.

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am retired now, but spent much of the last 20 years in AA airplanes. I have about 500,000 points in the bank, as I have used them over time. I find it difficult to book One World flights in Business from ORD to BKK for several reasons.

• The best routes are on CX and they do not release flights for rewards much in advance.

As an example, I was able to book a Business rewards outbound to BKK on AA (connecting on RJ in HKG) for mid-January, but am unable to get a return reward that makes sense. Toying with the idea of buying a Turkish Airlines one way return for about $2500 in Business.

CX can be tricky booking with AA miles, but I get my flights 95% of the time. I'm easy though, as I book my vacation time around what I can find in the target month. CX releases award seats 331 days out last I checked. AA sees them 330 days out in SABRE, so that would be prime picking time. In the real world though, we aren't always that prepped.

I use KVS to check on a weekly basis about 6 months out. Seats open and close up all the time. Leads to some nail biters some times when I book one way and have to wait on the other. I also check regional hubs if last resort, so maybe I book to HKG and buy a cheap regional the rest of the way. Worst case is that you opt to push the award, or if very stuck, refund the award for a fee (miles refund fee and you eat the original booking fee).

On 7/31/2017 at 0:28 AM, ChiFlyer said:

... I find it difficult to book One World flights in Business from ORD to BKK for several reasons.

I disagree, since I have made 21 of 23 trips (15 trips in biz class) from the east coast USA-Thailand with FF miles.  Since 2011, I use mostly AA miles and I do not find it difficult to book OneWorld flights following Little Evil’s comments.

Also to add- I think I know I thing a two about AA and OW Airlines as I have been EXP for a few years..    This is not a bad idea, but buying miles right now isn't really a deal, but gotta do what you gotta do if you are close to an award ticket.   I fly Biz a lot and you  Should look at  AA Biz vs. CX.  I find the AA Biz class on their 77W much better than CX.    CX use to be leaps and bounds, but no longer.     AA Offers Pajama's and a mattress Pad on their Biz.. CX Does not.  IFE, AA has CX beat as well, and food options I go with American right now too..  Plus the gally snacks much better on AA..   You can book AA to HKG then from HKG to BKK try the CX Product..   Just my opinion but the AA Hard product is much better than CX Right now...

Also AA Just changed their award rules-  You can only do 4 segs MAX each way, so just be careful.    Also I would look at leaving from either ORD or LAX to give you more options.  I personally only fly out of LAX since the Qantas 1st class lounge is the best US Lounge..

Let us know what you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Last trip to BKK I flew CX from ORD in Business class using AA miles. 

Here's the trick to redeeming AA miles to BKK....

1) You need to go to British Airways website and signup for a frequent flier account. 

2) Login to your BA account

3) Mouse over Executive Club tab then select Spending Avios from dropdown box

4) Click Book Award Flight

5) You MUST search for flights from one of the US that CX services (ORD, BOS, JFK, LAX, SFO, etc etc). 

6)  Call AA and provide the agent with the flights you see availability on via the BA website.   Ask agent to add your US segment to reservation if you don't live in a city CX flies to (search AA.com for Saver award space - note that you can voluntarily downgrade to coach for the US leg which generally increases Saver availability).  DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT fly BA in business class from the US to BKK using AA miles.   They have crazy award ticket surcharges and I believe flying to Asia via Europe is against AA ticketing rules so they'll have to make two bookings which doubles the required FF miles to redeem.  In addition, their seats and food sucks in business class compared to CX or JL.    Hell, I'd fly AA over BA that's how shitty it is IMO.

Note that CX and JL award space is GREAT about one week prior to departure.   In fact, it's so consistent that I generally just book a one way to BKK since I know I'll be able to find award space within a day or two of my preferred return date.   Of course this isn't great for those that want the peace of mind of having everything booked well in advance but booking last minute with AA miles on CX has always worked for me!

On 8/13/2017 at 7:03 AM, vivalv2001 said:

Last trip to BKK I flew CX from ORD in Business class using AA miles. 

Here's the trick to redeeming AA miles to BKK....

1) You need to go to British Airways website and signup for a frequent flier account. 

2) Login to your BA account

3) Mouse over Executive Club tab then select Spending Avios from dropdown box

4) Click Book Award Flight

5) You MUST search for flights from one of the US that CX services (ORD, BOS, JFK, LAX, SFO, etc etc). 

6)  Call AA and provide the agent with the flights you see availability on via the BA website.   Ask agent to add your US segment to reservation if you don't live in a city CX flies to (search AA.com for Saver award space - note that you can voluntarily downgrade to coach for the US leg which generally increases Saver availability).  DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT fly BA in business class from the US to BKK using AA miles.   They have crazy award ticket surcharges and I believe flying to Asia via Europe is against AA ticketing rules so they'll have to make two bookings which doubles the required FF miles to redeem.  In addition, their seats and food sucks in business class compared to CX or JL.    Hell, I'd fly AA over BA that's how shitty it is IMO.

Note that CX and JL award space is GREAT about one week prior to departure.   In fact, it's so consistent that I generally just book a one way to BKK since I know I'll be able to find award space within a day or two of my preferred return date.   Of course this isn't great for those that want the peace of mind of having everything booked well in advance but booking last minute with AA miles on CX has always worked for me!

Good advice on BA tool,  but one should also use Qantas award search too.

I actually just booked a biz award saver from BKK to LAX on Dec 2nd..  70k AA miles.

Its actually drops to 63k if you have a Citi AA Card..

I prefer AA biz over CX biz.    I find AA wine easily over CX now.   Plus with the current financial crisis at CX who knows what they will cut next.

Made this point several times,  besides the FA service, AA provides mattress pads, pajamas, better blanket, better food,  better gally snacks and better IFE selection...     AA Biz wins easily over CX 77 biz class

7 hours ago, get0ffdanutzz said:

Good advice on BA tool,  but one should also use Qantas award search too.

Do you find the QF engine easier to book than using BA?   I've never used the QF site.

5 hours ago, vivalv2001 said:

Do you find the QF engine easier to book than using BA?   I've never used the QF site.

Yes QF is fairly easy,  but still like BA better but noticed   they show different results

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, Little Evil said:

I use KVS to check on a weekly basis about 6 months out. Seats open and close up all the time. Leads to some nail biters some times when I book one way and have to wait on the other.

I don't want to hijack the topic, but would like a little more info on "KVS"

I did a Google search and found the site. Looks like you need to join to be able use the information available. I see they have ability for check "Sky Team" which my goto airline Delta is part of or the main airline in that group along with KLM and Air France. Since Delta doesn't fly all the way to Bangkok and you get handed off to a partner airline. I use one of my Global Upgrades I get each year or book a flight and then use my Delta miles for a upgrade, but there only good on the Delta legs of the flight.

LeoTex.  

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

23 hours ago, LeoTex said:

I did a Google search and found the site. Looks like you need to join to be able use the information available. I see they have ability for check "Sky Team" which my goto airline Delta is part of or the main airline in that group along with KLM and Air France. Since Delta doesn't fly all the way to Bangkok and you get handed off to a partner airline. I use one of my Global Upgrades I get each year or book a flight and then use my Delta miles for a upgrade, but there only good on the Delta legs of the flight.

LeoTex.  

I've used the KVS Tool before. It is a great tool and it's pretty accurate from what I saw-   It's a bit different since you have to Download the application to your computer, it's not just a website you go too,  but it's pretty flexible and shows you up to date availability.   I've used it before to question one world reservations agents to point out how award seats are available.  I can vouch for this application.  I think they have a cheap option if you are unsure, I think its like 20 bucks for a month or two.    But awesome tool that's for sure

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 4:16 PM, LeoTex said:

LeoTex.  

Sorry--was actually away in Patts when you replied. 

KVS is a powerful, but sometimes difficult award search tool that scrapes multiple award programs for data and displays award info in code. I say "difficult", in that it requires a bit of reading and research for best use. The advantage is that you can have multiple copies of it open, all running independent searches. Aside from the complexity, it does require you to have FF accounts for each program you want to search. My advice to everyone is that regardless if you want to use this tool, go ahead and open FF accounts for all major carriers. Good to have in a pinch, particularly when a good promotion hits and you require an account with at least 12+ days of activation to participate. 

As getoffdanutzz said, it is a desktop app that you have to download, and download again every time they update. You can buy it in month, 6 month, and year subscriptions. It also helps with non-award travel too. It is a lifesaver for programs that don't allow you to book directly online (ie. CX using AA miles, where BA's website is often very unreliable for availability). 

Archived