IGNORED

Hemingways - Jomtien

This is a relatively new pub in the old Shenanigans location. Part of the Jomtien Complex Condo building next to the arch on Thappraya. I'm guessing it's owned/run by an Aussie from the sport shown etc - but that's just a guess.

Fairly limited menu supplemented by 'specials' on various nights each week.

Comfortable booth-type seats, good & friendly service but music too loud both times I've even in. Several TVs showing different sports around the bar. Behind the booths there is a large bar with stools around, some smaller tables to the side and a pool table behind.

The first time I went I had pea & ham soup which was good but accompanied by a bread roll that had been defrosted/warmed in a microwave so was like rubber and inedible. IMG_1757.thumb.JPG.8830adbe140d7607e85faf04010350be.JPG

On Saturday & Sunday the special is a choice of roasts. I had the lamb, which is more expensive than the other meats. Can't remember the exact prices but think other meats were 250-295 and lamb was 350+???

It was a very good roast dinner. Generous helping of lamb - proper lamb not the reconstituted with water lamb you sometimes get here. Very slightly dry but still good. The rest of the meal was also good, if a bit heavy on the carbs.IMG_1758.thumb.JPG.4adcd71febab08a58dd2ddbd5c54f952.JPGIMG_1759.thumb.JPG.e4be17ba6d801072e09b1180d4672e6b.JPG

The second time I went I had Caesar Salad to start. It was poor. Limp lettuce & dry chicken.IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.2d07fdac8d0455e71d5c5c3d00faf2ab.JPG

I followed it with the lamb shank. Very generous helping of meat. It tasted ok, but nothing special. The potatoes were very hard.IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.7e40c8d435899e35efef2464431e5910.JPG

I'd be very happy to go back on a weekend for the roasts but not so keen to go in the week.

They do a decent pint as well.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Went there a few weeks ago.  It was OK but nothing special. A better place to watch the sport and have a beer but the food offering are average  for the price point.

I have had a few dishes there, nothing special.

Do they do a good pint of Guinness?

Loved the bar snacks off the flip charts in old Shan. Was the reason me & missus went there mid week.

Don't drink Guinness I'm afraid.

Friend comes next week who's partial. I'll try to remember to post his opinion here.

Thanks. best Guinness I have had in Pattaya is O'Gara's and Murphy's darkside.

I've tried the Guinness and didn't taste too bad mind you I'm no expert.

The bar and service is quite good friendly and I think the foods ok nothing spectacular I'd say typical pub food.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 6:31 PM, jimboh said:

Thanks. best Guinness I have had in Pattaya is O'Gara's and Murphy's darkside.

Went there with friend yesterday but they said they'd run out of Guinness so I couldn't get his opinion.

IMG_2066.thumb.JPG.724d1c0ecf9fc7e508f678098d902eec.JPG

I tried the roast beef. The meat was very tough indeed and the roast potatoes were soggy and less than pleasant. More evidence that the food is very hit & miss here.

One friend had roast pork, which was ok, while another had baked potato with tuna, which wasn't.

3 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Not good management if no hab guinness

They have....but ran short...They are new....wtf you want them to do..stock pile the most amount of kegs South of Dublin?

2 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

This place doesn't sound so great. 

Neither do you....maybe you should be the manager?

53 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Neither do you....maybe you should be the manager?

No thanks. I have no Desire to serve in any capacity in the restaurant business except as a customer. 

But here in Pattaya there are thousands of choices of places to eat. Why bother going to places that don't cut the mustard? 

I was really talking about the food there. Mostly people aren't complimenting it much and the pictures don't look so hot either. So I'm persuaded to never go in there. I can see it might be a good place to relax and drink though. 

1 hour ago, davidge said:

I tried the roast beef. The meat was very tough indeed

In my experience beef is best avoided anywhere in Thailand, unless it is in a Thai salad or has been casseroled for hours.

If you go to a high-end establishment you may get a nice cut of some imported beef, but it will be very expensive. There are better things to spend the money on.

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

In my experience beef is best avoided anywhere in Thailand, unless it is in a Thai salad or has been casseroled for hours.

If you go to a high-end establishment you may get a nice cut of some imported beef, but it will be very expensive. There are better things to spend the money on.

I disagree. I have had very nice roast beef dinners in Pattaya over the years. Not something I eat very often here but once or twice a trip.

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Where in Pattaya have you had very nice beef?

In days long past, I was never disappointed with Fawlty Towers :D

23 hours ago, jimboh said:

Not good management if no hab guinness

Went back in last night just for a pre-prandial drink. 

Guinness available. Apparently, they had a problem with the 'tap' the previous night. Friend said it was pretty good - 8 or 9 out of 10.

23 hours ago, jimboh said:

Where in Pattaya have you had very nice beef?

rich man poor man        great burger too, say thai-french beef on the menu

IMG_4011.jpg

I have eaten there a couple of times, nothing wrong with it but nothing special either

Had a Thai noodle dish there last March that was surprisingly tasty and large, a cut above usual bar food. Their roast beef au jus, on the other hand, was just sad. The small roll with little meat looked unappetizing and left me still hungry. A good place to watch sports though.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Due to the weather, I ended up here again tonight.

To be fair, the 250g Australian ribeye for 395 baht (Monday night special) was more than acceptable.

IMG_2097.thumb.JPG.1cba875e4899f792a886c6360a23a4da.JPG

Steak was good. Salad was fine. Red wine sauce was fine (other options: mushroom; pepper). Fries average. Onion rings awful.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:49 AM, davidge said:

In days long past, I was never disappointed with Fawlty Towers :D

Do you know the ex-proprietor Big Dave?

If so, where is he these days?

2 hours ago, Spursman said:

Do you know the ex-proprietor Big Dave?

If so, where is he these days?

I lost touch during my long sabbatical from Pattaya.

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Was Fawlty Towers on Soi 7?

Yes. Towards the Beach Rd end.

Archived