Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Calles bar and Grill

I was going for a steak dinner at Beefeater the other day and the place was packed as usual , so I decided to check out Calles just 30 meters up the Arcade for some grub. I have passed it many times , but never eaten there. The place was almost empty, just some older dude having what looked like a steak dinner and a glass of wine. To make a long story short, I decided to have a steak and pork fillet black and white for 399 bath , that was the nights special  ( I forgot to take picture) and to my surprise it was really good. The meat was cooked nicely, good tasting sauces and very nice fries. Thumbs up from me.

I decided to go back two nights later and the they had  a porkchop with fried potatoes and peeper sauce for 199 bath as the evening special. The porkchop was one of the nicest porchops I have seen and the pepper sauce was really good. Potatoes and pickled cucumber was yummy. That was really a good value meal. Made me leave with a smile on my face...almost better than sex 5555

Beefeater who I do love, have better wines and never disappoints, but it's always busy ...and I do recommend checking out Calles, it's a steakhouse with a Scandinavian touch . Price are a bit cheaper than Beefeater , but it well cooked food with a good touch, friendly and quick service. It deserves more customers. Only Beefeater had a lot of customers this week.  Places like Patricks who's also a good place ,was looking empty. 

Would be nice to hear if anyone else have been to Calles and would like to share their opinion about the place. 

Although I'm Swedish I've never been eating there, but walked by many times!

Next trip I'll make a stop for sure!:P

I like Beefeater but a bit expensive and mostly full.

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

1 hour ago, plahgat said:

Although I'm Swedish I've never been eating there, but walked by many times!

Next trip I'll make a stop for sure!:P

I like Beefeater but a bit expensive and mostly full.

Plahgat

I have done the same as you...but was pleasantly surprised, so you are not going to be sorry.

You don't need to be Scandinavian/ Swedish to enjoy it, plenty of different foods that many people like. Beefeater also have a Swedish touch, but it has been toned down a bit.I miss the Swedish lunch specials they used to have ..really good quality Swedish home cooking classics for a good price.

Anyhow try Calles , think you like it. Also nIce with an option.

2 hours ago, weblo said:

Can a Canadian go there? I'm part Viking!

I think they will let you eat there..if you show them your family helmet 5555

Ate here this evening with a friend, 2 other customers apart from us.

Friend had Caesar's Salad starter which was very good. I had garlic bread with dip which wasn't. 2 huge chunks of bread that could easily have been sliced into 5 instead. Slightly burnt as well.

We both had beef stroganoff with rice for main. Stroganoff was very good though not really hot enough. Rice was almost cold.

Main courses were brought before we'd finished our starters.

Chairs were a bit odd & made you lean away from table unless you sat on the edge.

Some insects crawling over table.

Price was quite reasonable.

The place is worth another try as most of food was very tasty but needs to sort out one or 2 things.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I was in the same position as Duff Master went to eat at Beefeater and it was  going to be a long wait.

I couldn't be bothered waiting, and was wondering what I would  try instead and I saw  Calles.

Now I don't bother with Beefeater, straight to Calles as I find their food and service on par with BE, but at much better prices.

26 minutes ago, James023 said:

I was in the same position as Duff Master went to eat at Beefeater and it was  going to be a long wait.

I couldn't be bothered waiting, and was wondering what I would  try instead and I saw  Calles.

Now I don't bother with Beefeater, straight to Calles as I find their food and service on par with BE, but at much better prices.

Don't  know if it reach up to Beefeater on all accounts, haven't gone trough the menu yet 555.. but if you weigh in the pricing it's def a good choice. It's good value and tasty ...well cooked and nicely plated. 

5963a68262276_july9011(Custom).JPG.db99152565f583c0cf622d302817c52e.JPG

i think this special may have been from sunday, and as to value i have no idea i rarely go and eat in places like this

5963a6b35508d_july9013(Custom).JPG.838e649c03de380d301e72971ff20ade.JPG

Think tonight's was the same.

As I don't eat pork, I didn't read it too carefully.

I was on the phone posting earlier in thread, so here's the pics of my meal to go with Review:

IMG_1853.thumb.JPG.e894e1fdfba23982311d8890d4d7b693.JPG

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.c372103924632b2d24b415c6a7829f8b.JPG

I visit that area quite often to eat,

Calles is usually good.

The Indian opposite Papagayo also good.

MyWay fantastic value and always good.

Patricks likewise.

Beefeater quality.

Spoilt for choice. 

2 hours ago, Gnorman said:

I visit that area quite often to eat,

Calles is usually good.

The Indian opposite Papagayo also good.

MyWay fantastic value and always good.

Patricks likewise.

Beefeater quality.

Spoilt for choice. 

Yes I agree ...the Indian is excellent ...tried a few different...but Little India is probably my go to India place when in Pattaya. 

3 hours ago, davidge said:

I was on the phone posting earlier in thread, so here's the pics of my meal to go with Review:

IMG_1853.thumb.JPG.e894e1fdfba23982311d8890d4d7b693.JPG

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.c372103924632b2d24b415c6a7829f8b.JPG

Had the garlic bread with Tzatsiki and I agree...good bread ...but way to big pieces , they where actually hard to eat... better serve as four instead of two pieces. 

The beef stroganoff looks good..have to give it a try sometime. 

Not worth starting another thread so...tried 'My Way' next to Calles last night. Pretty poor fayre. A bit like the Dutch equivalent of a British Transport Cafe. 

Main courses are mainly quite large portions of fairly stodgy food made with poor ingredients.

I started with vegetable & tomato soup. Tinned veg I think and also had lots of bits of meatball in it. Didn't come with any bread. I then had stewed steak with mashed potato/carrot/onion. The mash also had bits of meatball or meat right through it. Meat was quite dry. It came with a jug of meat juices with a less than pleasant taste. Cost 450 baht in total including water. 

IMG_1937.thumb.JPG.53e39251575ceece1b9a58caece8ed60.JPGIMG_1938.thumb.JPG.8f3b90d30a74cf08d1d50ecc0231f829.JPG

Friend had a very ordinary prawn cocktail followed by beef with mushroom and onion - which he ate very little of.

Neither of us will be returning.

Sorry to read you had a bad feed at MyWay davidge. I have eaten there many many times, I am a creature of habit and always have the fillet mignon, always been a really nice feed.

Had the special at calles ...Biif Rydberg ( Swedish deluxe Hash) for 349 Bath . It's cubed filet mignon, cubed and pan fried potatoes, a raw egg yolk, onions ( should be finely chopped)  , mustard sauce ( made different ways usually a mix with sour cream ) , freshly shredded horseradish. The ingredients are served separately on the same plate and you mix them together. It's an excellent dish if done right. Beefeater serve an excellent version as an example ...for more bath. Had it many times. 

The Calles version was good , but the onion was not finely chopped ( it taste much better when you mix it up , if it's finely chopped). The beef was very nice , the potatoes where good,  the raw egg yolk was there...but the sauce was some mayonnaise type sauce? , no mustard and cream sauce  and no sign of horseradish . Overall it taste good and for 349 bath, all good. The beef was very nice a done to my liking. 

Good try but need to work on in a bit more. I fully realize that you get what you pay for , but a few small not that costly changes would elevate the dish to be a real treat. They are not to far off and a few tweaks is all it takes. Onions finely chopped,add Horseradish and add mustard sauce.

Overall happy with the place, they do deserve more customers, it's fairly empty on most of the Arcade resturants except Kiss (yuk) and Beefeaters.

23 hours ago, davidge said:

I then had stewed steak with mashed potato/carrot/onion.

Been said many times before, but on this occasion it is true. That looks like a plate of vomit and shit. Literally. 

On 2017-07-17 at 0:50 PM, davidge said:

Neither of us will be returning.

Those pictures makes me not want to  eat at My Way either, maybe they have some stuff that is ok but I will not trying to find out, to many good places to choose from .  For 450 bath incl a bottle of water I can get a nice meal somewhere. 

Archived