IGNORED

Motivation

Ajay75

I've been learning for coming up 11 months now and have now moved up a level after being self taught for this time by getting a decent teacher based in BBK for 3 1 hour sessions a week. Before I did this a couple of weeks ago I was getting a little lerthargic with my learning and was just going over the stuff I knew and not really learning anything for a couple of weeks after coming back from my last trip in Nov.

I am really appreciating my level of understanding when being spoken to rising which is where I was struggling somewhat before. What with work and particularly this time of year where its particulary sociable its difficult to remain focused so I'm pretty glad I have got this teacher sorted which is what I really needed as I think being self taught can only take you so far.

Just wondering how everyone else gets motivated and keeps it up? Have you let it slip and how did you get back on track. We all know this isnt the easiest language to learn but I enjoy the challenge and although I dont feel like I'm making massive progress, when compared to even 6 months ago the improvement has been considerable.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I've been learning for coming up 11 months now and have now moved up a level after being self taught for this time by getting a decent teacher based in BBK for 3 1 hour sessions a week. Before I did this a couple of weeks ago I was getting a little lerthargic with my learning and was just going over the stuff I knew and not really learning anything for a couple of weeks after coming back from my last trip in Nov.

I am really appreciating my level of understanding when being spoken to rising which is where I was struggling somewhat before. What with work and particularly this time of year where its particulary sociable its difficult to remain focused so I'm pretty glad I have got this teacher sorted which is what I really needed as I think being self taught can only take you so far.

Just wondering how everyone else gets motivated and keeps it up? Have you let it slip and how did you get back on track. We all know this isnt the easiest language to learn but I enjoy the challenge and although I dont feel like I'm making massive progress, when compared to even 6 months ago the improvement has been considerable.

I learned the foundations of my Thai from a course with tapes. I did 20 to 30 minutes a day, no more. I found that this kept my motivation high because I didn't do it long enough to get bored, quite the opposite, it left me keen for the next session. Once a week I had a mates Thai wife come over (paid) to go over the week's work with me. Just thinking about the fun I knew I'd have was another motivating factor.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

My motivation:

I currently live here,

it's the first language i've learnt (well.. French at school doesn't count, i know about 10 words)

I like learning and after learning to read and write thai has just turned into a hobby now

So I can communicate better with the girls I meet. (I find the whole silent relationship/marriage that people have a little strange, and I don't want that)

..And I hope in the future i'll return to live her for good.

Oh, and one other thing is that I'm finding that the learning aspect of the language is become easier all the time. In the first few months I was considering just giving up, talking to people and them not understanding me was frustrating "why can't they understand me!!" haha. But now rules are clicking, differentiating between tones is easier and reading has helped me pronounce words better.

I really want to be fluent in Thai, I know it takes years but I've started relatively early at 25.. dr how many years since you uttered your first "สวัสดีครับ"

Edited by herds

I think my motivation comes because I live her, it's the first language i've learnt and I like learning. And I hope in the future i'll return to live her for good.

I really want to be fluent in Thai, I know it takes years but I like the challenge :)

Chok dee Krap!! :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8soolsiIOo&...feature=related

2 All beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

I learned the foundations of my Thai from a course with tapes. I did 20 to 30 minutes a day, no more. I found that this kept my motivation high because I didn't do it long enough to get bored, quite the opposite, it left me keen for the next session. Once a week I had a mates Thai wife come over (paid) to go over the week's work with me. Just thinking about the fun I knew I'd have was another motivating factor.

I did exactly the same as you when I first started with the Pimslar 30 lessons and it gave me a great starting point rather than just learning parrot fashion and bits here and there.

I guess sometimes I dont think I know much when I actually do and doubt my competency in some areas. I think the next 12 months will be a real step up and am aiming to just be having 100% conversation with my teacher for each lesson.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I am just starting off with Thai, but have learned Arabic a couple years ago. I had used Rossetta Stone and took classes 2 times a week with four other people in the class. I did this for about two years, and became sort of proficient in the language. It is easy to get distracted and think your progress is going no where. The good Dr gave some great advice, not to over do it, only 20-30 min a day or even take a day off, which I am sure you may do already. Taking breaks also helps your brain absorb everything as well.

I have found a Thai teacher in NYC, and tomorrow is my first lesson with her. I am exited, so right now I am motivated, but I know it is hard to keep up. If you have any Thai eating places in your area or Thai communities I would suggest you go and try some conversation there. Even if there is a Thai Buddhist Temple around, go and check it out, see if the monks will have conversation.

Face to face interaction with native speakers keeps it fun, interesting and the interaction causes you to learn even more. During Arabic I was fortunate to have two friends are native speakers, so we would talk and they'd make fun of me, but it was good fun. Lastly you most likely know a lot more than what you think you do.