IGNORED

My experience getting a retirement visa in Canada

dragonrider

The M stands for multi entry. Each time you leave and re-enter your visa is extended for a year up until the day your visa expires. If you enter on the last day, you have an extension for a year. Your visa expires. You now need a re-entry permit to come back each time you leave.

Does this mean that once I have an multiple entry O-A visa I will not need to get a single or multiple re-entry permit? I will apply for a multiple entry retirement O-A visa soon so any I would appreciate if someone has done this and knows how it works. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, 555 said:

Does this mean that once I have an multiple entry O-A Visa I will not need to get a single or multiple re-entry permit? I will apply for a multiple entry retirement O-A Visa soon so any I would appreciate if someone has done this and knows how it works. Thanks

OK...............

If you have a Non IMM O A Multi entry visa, there will be two dates on the Visa...  The issue date and an enter before date, which will be one year AFTER the issue date. There will also be  an M.. designating it is valid for multiple entries up to the enter before date. NO NEED FOR A RE ENTRY PERMIT IN THE YEAR THE VISA IS VALID. There is a big difference between visa validity and permission to stay.

Say for example you have one issued today... 27 JUL 2017.  The enter before date will be 26 JUL 2018. What that means, is that you are able to come and go as you wish in that twelve months and each time you enter, you will be given a 12 month permission to stay stamp from that entry date.  So, if you enter for the last time on say, 25 JUL 2018, you will be given permission to stay until 24 JUL 2019.  Now, if you leave at any time in that year ( 25 JUL 2018 - 24 JUL 2019) YOU WILL NEED A RE ENTRY PERMIT, because you visa has expired on 26 JUL2018.. Other wise your permission to stay will be voided when you leave, and you will need to start the process all over again from scratch.

Using the example above, there will be no need to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand until sometime prior to 24 JUL 2019.  You will need to prove income, and because it is the first extension in Thailand, if you are going the bank balance route, you will need the 800K for an unbroken 2 months. Subsequent extensions require 3 months.

You will be subject to 90 day reporting with no need to do visa runs. When you enter Thailand, your 90 day cycle begins from that date...

5 hours ago, 555 said:

Does this mean that once I have an multiple entry O-A Visa I will not need to get a single or multiple re-entry permit? I will apply for a multiple entry retirement O-A Visa soon so any I would appreciate if someone has done this and knows how it works. Thanks

What @dave01 said above.

OK...............

If you have a Non IMM O A Multi entry visa, there will be two dates on the Visa...  The issue date and an enter before date, which will be one year AFTER the issue date. There will also be  an M.. designating it is valid for multiple entries up to the enter before date. NO NEED FOR A RE ENTRY PERMIT IN THE YEAR THE VISA IS VALID. There is a big difference between visa validity and permission to stay.

Say for example you have one issued today... 27 JUL 2017.  The enter before date will be 26 JUL 2018. What that means, is that you are able to come and go as you wish in that twelve months and each time you enter, you will be given a 12 month permission to stay stamp from that entry date.  So, if you enter for the last time on say, 25 JUL 2018, you will be given permission to stay until 24 JUL 2019.  Now, if you leave at any time in that year ( 25 JUL 2018 - 24 JUL 2019) YOU WILL NEED A RE ENTRY PERMIT, because you visa has expired on 26 JUL2018.. Other wise your permission to stay will be voided when you leave, and you will need to start the process all over again from scratch.

Using the example above, there will be no need to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand until sometime prior to 24 JUL 2019.  You will need to prove income, and because it is the first extension in Thailand, if you are going the bank balance route, you will need the 800K for an unbroken 2 months. Subsequent extensions require 3 months.

You will be subject to 90 day reporting with no need to do visa runs. When you enter Thailand, your 90 day cycle begins from that date...

Thanks this makes it clear. Very useful!

OK...............

Thanks this makes it clear. Very useful!

So, when I got here (and went thru the diplomatic line no less), they just stamped my passport with a regular 30 day stay. Went to the bank and they were not impressed. Had to go to Jomtien with my passport and a copy of my lease to get what I believe was a residence letter (not sure. it was written in Thai). Whatever it said made the bank happy. They also restamped it for the one year stay.

Did the guy at the airport screw up or is what I did normal? I don't remember reading anything about that part of the process but now I know where Jomtien Immigration is.

P.S. Bring photos. The place next door is a rip off.

Archived