IGNORED

Boeing 777 11 abreast which airline will be first ?

mbamber

Most airlines are now going over to 10 Abreast seating on the 777. Airbus is offering 11 abreast on the A380. The new A350 where the Cabin is 10" narrower than the 777 and no one even mentioned 10 abreast.  Air Caraibes will be the first company to receive aircraft with 10 abreast seating in economy & there are rumours Qatar are thinking about it.

So the most successful wide body aircraft the Boeing 777 which airline and when will it go 11 abreast ?

• 1 month later...

Don't think it will ever happen on the 777X International Routes- on any major airline.   It may happen on a Charter 777 or potential domestic 777 Route, but dont think It will ever happen.  777x I believe was designed for 9Y but just about every airline made it 10Y..      I can never say never, but doubt it.

15 minutes ago, get0ffdanutzz said:

Don't think it will ever happen on the 777X International Routes- on any major airline.   It may happen on a Charter 777 or potential domestic 777 Route, but dont think It will ever happen.  777x I believe was designed for 9Y but just about every airline made it 10Y..      I can never say never, but doubt it.

Since I posted that US Apeal Court Judges have ordered the FAA to consider seat size as a safety measure so hopefully it will not happen. The 787 has 9 abreast for some airlines and that has led to recommendations for larger passengers to avoid it for long flights. Airbus are now offering a 3-5-3 layout on the A380 I think that will happen.

The more they fit on the more money they make .... number one rule of air transportation.

I spend half my money on hookers and booze ,the other half I waste.

All the 777's I have been on have been 3-3-3.

Just curious which airlines are doing the 10, I can't even begin to think how narrow the isle would be.

LeoTex 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

39 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

All the 777's I have been on have been 3-3-3.

Just curious which airlines are doing the 10, I can't even begin to think how narrow the isle would be.

LeoTex 

ANA are converting over at present so some offer 3-3-3 & some 3-4-3 British Airways tried it years ago but I believe back tracked because of complaints but is now back on & converting to 10 abreast. The largest airline American Airways are 10 abreast and United are a mix. The top link is from Jan 2016 and if you read down it tells you which are 9 or 10 but since then more have gone 10 abreast. 

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/01/777-9-vs-10-abreast-in-economy/

https://www.businesstraveller.com/airlines/2017/04/04/new-b777-9-aircraft-will-10-across-economy-class/

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/11/04/ba-goes-ten-abreast-on-both-gatwick-and-heathrow-777/

1 hour ago, mbamber said:

ANA are converting over at present so some offer 3-3-3 & some 3-4-3 British Airways tried it years ago but I believe back tracked because of complaints but is now back on & converting to 10 abreast. The largest airline American Airways are 10 abreast and United are a mix. The top link is from Jan 2016 and if you read down it tells you which are 9 or 10 but since then more have gone 10 abreast. 

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/01/777-9-vs-10-abreast-in-economy/

https://www.businesstraveller.com/airlines/2017/04/04/new-b777-9-aircraft-will-10-across-economy-class/

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/11/04/ba-goes-ten-abreast-on-both-gatwick-and-heathrow-777/

Thanks for the information and links.

I fly either 747's or 777's on Delta and hope that they keep the 3-3-3 on the 777's.

When I had a few flights delays on Delta (Tokyo) and got switched over to a Thai Air 380, they had 3-4-3 down and 2-2-2, but the isles in that big plane where wide enough to handle that seat configuration.

LeoTex 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

Thanks for the information and links.

I fly either 747's or 777's on Delta and hope that they keep the 3-3-3 on the 777's.

When I had a few flights delays on Delta (Tokyo) and got switched over to a Thai Air 380, they had 3-4-3 down and 2-2-2, but the isles in that big plane where wide enough to handle that seat configuration.

LeoTex 

Well just had a look on the internet & Delta announced a new layout in May for the 777 for the next few years and are firmly stating they are sticking with 9 abreast. Business class looks very nice far better than Emirates 777. :D

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/05/11/mulling-the-impact-of-new-delta-777-layout-on-passenger-loyalty-comfort/

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/delta-plans-to-shrink-business-class-on-777-437065/

49 minutes ago, mbamber said:

Well just had a look on the internet & Delta announced a new layout in May for the 777 for the next few years and are firmly stating they are sticking with 9 abreast. Business class looks very nice far better than Emirates 777. :D

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/05/11/mulling-the-impact-of-new-delta-777-layout-on-passenger-loyalty-comfort/

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/delta-plans-to-shrink-business-class-on-777-437065/

Good news that Delta is going to keep the 3-3-3 seating on the 777's. With a isle seat in the middle, most of the time you don't have someone bothering you to get up because most of the time the middle and other isle persons are together.

The bad news is they are going to reduce the business seats from 37 to 28 seats on the triple 7's.

My September trip is on a 747 out of Detroit, but my December trip is on a 777 out of Atlanta.

I have already gotten my bump to business on 777 for December, but in the future the %  for me getting a business seat on a triple 7 will be reduced.

The new suites with the 28 seat configuration does look good.

LeoTex

33 minutes ago, peter.storm said:

My flight to uk from Cambodia last month on a 777

13584.thumb.jpg.dfd679a7ee18f1c9a6d240f50deb52f6.jpg

2-4-2, half empty is a travellers dream come thru.

For the price concerned; 3-4-3 on the 777 will be ideal and should be able to save them a few quid.  Strongly believe not all airlines will implement the cramped configuration and leave the choice open for a slightly higher price.... with a fancy name ofcourse to justify the price

Next month I'm flyng California to Taipei on EVA 777-300ER which is 3-3-3 in economy class according to the seat selector. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

13 minutes ago, likeaking said:

Next month I'm flyng California to Taipei on EVA 777-300ER which is 3-3-3 in economy class according to the seat selector. 

I hope you get one of the older 777's as unfortunately their new ones have gone to 3-4-3.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/07/05/eva-air-economy-seats/

2 hours ago, peter.storm said:

2 hours ago, Kandinski said:

2-4-2, half empty is a travellers dream come thru.

I don't think that is totally true. I think what happen is the guy you see seated slipped onto the plane with the first-class passengers.

You can see the flight attendant looking around trying to find him, but he has his head down hiding.

She also most likely is looking for "peter.storm" who also slipped on early to take a photo of the plane before it was totally full before take off.

LeoTex 

I've flown 3-4-3 777s twice. Once on BA and once on KLM, Both times were horrific. Not only are the seats too cramped but you cant get up and down the aisles. I avoid 3-4-3 777s nowadays.

13 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

I don't think that is totally true. I think what happen is the guy you see seated slipped onto the plane with the first-class passengers.

You can see the flight attendant looking around trying to find him, but he has his head down hiding.

She also most likely is looking for "peter.storm" who also slipped on early to take a photo of the plane before it was totally full before take off.

LeoTex 

Nope this is how we flew!! I sat at the back of the plane where it was 2-4-2 row 48. The last 4 rows, 47,48,49,50 are like that and the ones before are 3-4-2

The aircraft was empty.

signaturesml.jpg.764ff137c2c3de0437af6705465cff7f.jpg   

Android APP       iPhone APP

2 hours ago, likeaking said:

Same on the EVA flight from AMS to BKK according to seat selector,I suppose they could slip an extra seat in before I leave in January,how would that pan out with the extra weight of passengers and luggage if they made it 11 across on a long haul flight?

3 hours ago, peter.storm said:

You didn't fly direct from Cambodia did you?

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

You didn't fly direct from Cambodia did you?

Of course, that''s why the plane was empty, I chartered it!!!!

signaturesml.jpg.764ff137c2c3de0437af6705465cff7f.jpg   

Android APP       iPhone APP

Agree- to novice fliers- If the 777 is 3x4x3 choose another airline....  I would never fly 10Y..

The 10 abreast 777 set up on Emirates is the tightest seat configuration I've ever experienced on any aircraft, including budget carriers like Ryanair etc. Maybe its because their seats have to be even more restricted to fit in their expansive IFE set ups, I don't know. Even walking down the aisles is uncomfortable. I won't fly Emirates any more because of it.

Etihad's 3-4-3 doesn't feel quite as bad, but then again most of the time I've flown Etihad the plane's been half empty. Only other 777s I've flown were all 3-3-3 on BA, KLM and Turkish and all fine.

Prefer to use airlines now connecting using A350s or 787s (if A380 is not available) which for the most part are configured ok in 3-3-3 but I see there are a few carriers going to 3-4-3 on the A350 now with seat widths at less than 17 inches which is just ridiculous on long haul as that aircraft's fuselage is even narrower than 777s. Presumably B787 operators will follow suit.

Jet Airways (of India) switched from a comfortable 3-3-3 to a cramped 3-4-3, back when I was using them regularly, a few years ago.  This was a factor in my changing away from them.

Qatar are 3-4-3 on B777s, but strangely it didn't feel quite so cramped, perhaps clever seat-design or a larger seat-pitch ?  But I still go out of my way to fly the A380, on Qatar or with other airlines, as it's quieter and much more roomy !

Both BA and EVA were 3-3-3 on their B777s, when I flew them last year, both were acceptable.

BA flew 3-4-3 777s around the turn of the century. The routes were LGW to the Caribbean and maybe Tampa and Orlando (I think). The Aircraft and flight crew were supplied by BA, Flight number was BA but the crew were supplied by JMC/AML. I flew them to ANU on staff travel with my girlfriend of the time - horrific.

Interestingly, The spectre of BA 3-4-3 777s operating out of LGW has recently raised its head again.

Archived