IGNORED

What airline to choose

DAKLING1987

7 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

In recent years I have flown with Etihad a lot of times but last year I flew with Emirates (From Manchester) and was very impressed with the flights.  So I am flying with them again this year.

When I flew with Emirates last year there seemed to be extra leg room on there flights than Etihad.  The food was good.  And there seemed to be a bigger selection of inflight entertainment on Emirates.  And one thing that I was made up with was that they handed out the immigration cards at the beginning of the flight between Dubai and Bangkok.

And emirates like Etihad have a number of flights between Manchester and Dubai.   And Dubai and BKK

So this year I take off from Manchester at 08:45 and with only a 2 hour 50 minutes stop I get to BKK airport at 07:35 the next day

And on my return journey I take of from BKK airport at 20:35 and with only a 2 hour 10 minute stop in Dubai I get back to Manchester at 07:00 the next morning

I prefer the early afternoon flight out gets me to Bangkok at noon but like you I do like the night flight from Bangkok. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been flying TA 5 outta 7 trips, no complaints at all. Not even a 10 minute delay :)

I've flown with Emirates, Etihad and Turkish a few times and, as it happens, on my last three trips to Thailand in the last 6 months have used all three.

For me, Turkish have the best product.

Their connections within Europe to Istanbul generally use smaller 737 and A321 aircraft hence quicker boarding and disembarkation; to BKK they're using 777s configured 3-3-3 as opposed to the 3-4-3 set ups used by Emirates and Etihad. I found their on board service to be better too, more attentive and more plentiful; Emirates and Etihad have been cutting back lately (e.g. using larger bottles instead of miniatures for bar service).

As for Ataturk airport, whilst it's true that it is far too small for the amount of traffic, as long as your connection is 1.5 hours or more after you land there won't be a problem even if you're not using a jetbridge; after being bused into the terminal going back through the scanners was as quick as anywhere I've ever been, they have a number of smaller checkpoints at each of the many gates where buses drop transferring passengers. 

For longer waits in Ataturk I used the upstairs restaurant area which was relatively empty even though downstairs was fairly busy, but not overly crowded, no more so than Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Plenty of food and drink options too and I thought reasonably priced by airport standards. Cleanliness wise the three airports are all much of a muchness, but at Ataturk there weren't any queues waiting to use the toilets as always seems to be the case at the UAE airports.

If I then had to pick out of Etihad or Emirates I would choose Etihad every time, they tend to have longer turnaround times between flights than Emirates hence boarding tends to be a lot less chaotic and whenever I've flown them the planes are generally not as busy. I have found Emirates to be a bit of a shambles when it comes to boarding, to always be late when it comes to getting to the push back stage due to an apparent inability to complete the paperwork required in a timely fashion before the ground staff get off and to have flight attendants who are just out of training school. Their 777 is also configured with the tightest seats I've ever experienced anywhere, including short haul budget airlines.

On 2017-6-12 at 8:40 PM, mbamber said:

I prefer the early afternoon flight out gets me to Bangkok at noon but like you I do like the night flight from Bangkok

Hi mbamber I've always preferred the early morning flight from Manchester because that means I get to Pattaya the following morning.  I know I'm taking a chance on my room not being ready but over the years I've only ever had to wait once for my room.

And for my return journey I always like a night flight because it allows my last night in Pattaya to be a late late night.  And in recent years I have on a couple of occasions visited the afternoon gogo's in soi 13/1 and soi 13/2 for a couple of beers before taking my taxi to the airport

On 10/06/2017 at 4:07 PM, DAKLING1987 said:

Yes Oman air is another option. Didn't cross my mind when I seen it but if they're using Dreamliners on all flights out of Manchester I might consider them!

not using dreamliner currently out of manchester a330 (unless changed since launch date may 1st) to muscat 787 dreamliner to bangkok

recommend oman personally

Especially if using economy & if you travel a bit don't overlook the FF program

IMO Etihad's is quick to attain extra luggage allowance and fast to Gold with lounge access

28 minutes ago, OmarB said:

not using dreamliner currently out of manchester a330 (unless changed since launch date may 1st) to muscat 787 dreamliner to Bangkok

recommend oman personally

Oman out of Manchester is expensive at present compared to others, looked for November & the return flights had a layover of about 15 hrs,total of 29 hrs return against 15-17 with other airlines.

3 hours ago, mbamber said:

Oman out of Manchester is expensive at present compared to others, looked for November & the return flights had a layover of about 15 hrs,total of 29 hrs return against 15-17 with other airlines.

You may be just to early. Oman is putting up sales usualy around end of July or in August. I did a random date in November return in December and I get total travel time of 15 hours out and 16 hours back. It's the 9am departure one from BKK. However that one is not offered every day of the week. So it may not fit your schedule.

5 minutes ago, ZRHuser said:

You may be just to early. Oman is putting up sales usualy around end of July or in August. I did a random date in November return in December and I get total travel time of 15 hours out and 16 hours back. It's the 9am departure one from BKK. However that one is not offered every day of the week. So it may not fit your schedule.

Yes looked Sun, Tues & Wed they offer shorter layovers departing 9 am.

On 08/06/2017 at 10:05 PM, DAKLING1987 said:

For my next trip to Thailand in December there is quite a few airlines offering the same price with similar layover durations on the same dates (give or take a day or two) I will be flying from Manchester economy class. I have multiple options to choose from I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on what they'd choose and why. 

Qatar 

Emirates 

Ethiad

Turkish airlines

Swiss air 

are my choices. All of my previous flights have been with Qatar air apart from once with Thai airways. I enjoyed my flights with Qatar and Thai airways but thinking of a change. Anyone reccomend?

Emirates have the largest selection on their inflight entertainment system.

I like Emirates, good flight times, entertainment system is good, service is good incl if you call them. Price isn't bad. I've just booked.

On 13/06/2017 at 20:09, BlackKnight said:

.... and of course the Thai airways...555

I don't mind Thai airways I found the flight comfortable and with exceptional service when I used them. Short flight from Uk to Denmark then 2 hour layover then direct to bkk.

Also for convenience they have an office on beach road. I wanted to extend my trip (twice) simply walk in. Tell them when you want to change your date to and pay I think it was 2600bhat. Simple 

Saturday  in 2 weeks  i fly Thai from Zurich to BKK ... flown the arabs for the last 3 years so i am interested about  standart of thai nowadays...

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I like Emirates, good flight times, entertainment system is good, service is good incl if you call them. Price isn't bad. I've just booked.

So what seats have you booked? :P

So what seats have you booked? [emoji14]

I fit in one with room to spare, shoulders are wide though, always hope I'm next to a girl for many reasons

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I fit in one with room to spare, shoulders are wide though, always hope I'm next to a girl for many reasons

It was a bit of dig about emirates charging for seat selection :)

It was a bit of dig about emirates charging for seat selection [emoji4]

Ah i see, i guessed wrong. No charge for economy. I think they charge if you get some special deal.

Edit: just double checked.

"You can reserve seats through our Manage a Booking page. There’s no charge for seat selection if you’re travelling in Business Class or First Class, or in Economy Class on a Flex or Flex Plus fare. If you’re travelling in Economy Class on a Special or Saver fare, you’ll need to pay for Advance Seat Reservation"

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ah i see, i guessed wrong. No charge for economy. I think they charge if you get some special deal.

"You can reserve seats through our Manage a Booking page. There’s no charge for seat selection if you’re travelling in Business Class or First Class, or in Economy Class on a Flex or Flex Plus fare. If you’re travelling in Economy Class on a Special or Saver fare, you’ll need to pay for Advance Seat Reservation"

Ah i didn't know it was just on special/saver fares. Thought it was for economy, irrespective of fare type.

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

emirates charging for seats is a fairly new thing.  In December when I fly with emirates from Manchester to Dubai.  I booked Economy Saver seats for my Manchester to Dubai and Dubai to Bangkok.  So I had to pay £20 extra for each flight to be able to book my seats.  

When I made the booking I could only get Economy flex for my return flights as the economy saver were all gone.  So I didnt have to pay any money to book my seats for the return flights

My mate went Emirates in April and he said when checked in on line 48 hrs before take off and he didn't have to pay extra for seats.

I pick my (non Emirate seat) when i book the ticket 5-6 months in advance but sometimes when I've checked in on line the airline has moved me to another seat. Luckily there always aisle or window seats going down the back.

I fly Emirates, Etihad or Qatar out of Manchester.

Came back last Sunday 8.30pm with Etihad. Their planes seem to be old since it was delayed while they change a wing or something so didn't leave till 11.30pm -ish -landed Abu D. 2am but connecting flight 2.20am which they didn't hold so ended up getting 10.45am flight the next day. Had the prating about of going to a hotel via immigration- unlikely I'll fly with them shites again unless a really low price (same thing happened about 5 years ago with a 14 hour delay) Also food and entertainment system is crap. Also T3 is suppose to be the main Terminal for the airline but half the time end up parked on the Runway and have to use a bloody bus to!

Last time I flew Emirates it was chaos checking in both in Bangkok -took that long that as soon as I got though to the airside they were boarding the plane ...and then the farce of going through security in Dubai 

Probably prefer Qatar now out of the three I've flown -unless they have to go via the North Pole now since some Countries have closed their airspace?

I immigrated to England in 2004 from South Africa and over the last 10 odd years have flown with South African Airways, BA, Lufthansa, Emirates, TAP Portugal, EVA, name it; to almost 30 differant countries.  At the end of the day it is the same shit, different day., differant airport.

I had flights on SAA with crews that got fed up with my drinking habits and later on showed me where to get the booze so I can help my self, other flights I had crews that didn't even want to serve me because they want to sleep on the long haul flights.

Honestly, the first thing I check, is the price,if a direct flight is like a $100 more than the hop skip and jump route, I will go with that airline, otherwise I will go through the whole rigmarole of checking airline and airport reviews for the stop over flights. Flying from the UK I have avoided Adis Adaba, as then suddenly you need something extra like a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

I'm drunk and waffling, at the end of the day, economy flights are pretty similar sheit.  I can't comment on business class or higher, as I rather take that extra couple of pence to a gogo. :D

Archived