IGNORED

Do people still do 'walk ins' to hotels for their Pattaya trips? (no prior reservation)

QuotaMan

I haven't seen anyone ask this in a long time, but does anyone out there actually visit Pattaya these days without prior hotel/guest house reservations (walk ins and not using Agoda, direct booking, etc.)?

I'm talking more about the bigger hotels and not the smaller guesthouses especially those owned/managed by forum members here, those seem to be pretty reliable and honest.

Reason why I ask is, I never have in all my trips, because I never trust that the hotels will give me the same price as what is listed on sites like Agoda. Never mind not knowing if there would be rooms available.

In planning an upcoming trip, I booked my stay using Agoda. However, I wanted to add one additional day, so I contacted Agoda customer service to relay my request to the hotel. The hotel said they could add an additional day, and when I checked the price, they were going to charge me 100 dollars over the price of what the room normally goes for per night. I said no thanks and canceled the booking. So went back to Agoda, checked the price and availability for my new dates at the same hotel, and got the standard room rate for each night.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I've never done it in Pattaya but less than 3 hours ago, did it in Davao (Philippines) for 5 nights from Tuesday to Sunday & got no discount but their published walk in rate was 20% cheaper than any of the hotel booking sites that I'm a member off (most of them).

Unless I'm 100% sure of my plans for the trip, I book the first 2-3 nights in 1 place then decide the rest when I'm there.

At the end of the day, you can always fire up your mobile & book the hotel at a cheaper rate whilst sat in their lobby using their free wifi.

Immigration rules are that you have to have a place of residence booked in advance. I have never been asked to provide proof of this personally and on my second trip I never booked in advance and was fine. But when I was speaking to a friend in a bar about me not booking in advance he said that he was once asked to provide proof of booking at immigration and was taken into a room and was basically forced to book his accommodation or be sent home. So it's probably a good idea to just book your first 2 days.

This trip, I booked my first seven days at LK The Empress and, then, walked into some hotels for rates. Needed another 18 days.

Was surprised by the lack of interest and was just given a laminated sheet with rack rates.

I believe that most hotels do not give authority at the lower echelon to negotiate.

Plus, the language barrier does not allow them to understand the need to negotiate to fill rooms.

One hotel next to Lk The Empress actually had big sign saying "Walk ins Welcomed." Not so.

Booking in lobby is possible but can take time to filter down to the hotel.

Do recommend short temporary stay in hotel if you have not been here before and not sure of the area that you want to be in.

If you know where you want to be, book your whole stay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I went to Phuket (2003-2010), I never booked in advance. Always walk-in, always Sand Inn. THB800/night. More or less.

Nowadays, with Pattaya, I always book first. Always through Agoda, though for my next trip, I'll be booking a condo.

I don't think the story about Thailand immigration asking to show proof of accommodation has ever happened to me and I hope it will never be the case, knowing their attitude to AirBnB and the like.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@sixmonthnomad1815?sub_confirmation=1

I do videos about being a digital nomad, switching every six months between Malaysia and Pattaya, Thailand or other parts of South East Asia.

Only a couple of years ago walking round Patts at this time of year you would often see signs outside hotels "book 7 days get 1 day free" or something like that. 

The big R-con hotel on the Soi Buk' s-bends used to have a big sign "walk in price 700 baht" which was a couple hundred cheaper than advertised/web price.

I think these have all gone now.

Phuket, Samui, I do walk in, unless with girl and need more good hotel.

Pattaya I have good hotel for good price, I go all time, so not need walk in.

They call me ROBINHOOD, captain TEAM FARANG!

I've done 'walk in booking ' a couple of times. Usually booked first 3 or 4 days in a hotel before I leave home then scoped out a  few possible places while I was in Pats. I've found a real mixed experience. I've had prices way above Agoda quoted to me and walked to next hotel and got a good 7 nights for 6 deal. There's no golden rule but strolling in without luggage and being prepared to turn around and walk away doesn't harm your chances. 

24/7 Boutique hotel in Soi Honey gave me the 7 nights for price of 6 deal. Also Areca Lodge quoted me the same price as Agoda and then the girl on reception said if I joined their Areca Club scheme (a loyalty scheme) then I got a discount on my booking. 

So its the curate's egg syndrome. Good in some places, bad in others.  Just be prepared to jog on to the next place if you dont like the offer. 

In theory, the walk in price should be quite a bit lower since booking websites take about 25% from what I heard. Unfortunately, the reality is that most hotels will charge about the same on their own website and they prefer advance bookings from walkins so they don't encourage it.

I've never done it myself because I don't want to be looking for an hotel while I'm on vacation.

To walk in or not walk in has long been a mute question on many forums.

Yes, you can pretty much always get room 'walking in" but a few points always worth considering. Note I say "considering" as i am not going to say either way is 100% right or wrong.

1. As a previous poster has said - having accommodation booked on arrival is an Immigration requirement. I have never heard of them checking this but as previous poster points out obviously they do some times.

2. The most popular hotels always fill first! Even in low season they are generally full as people gravitate to their first choices. You will almost always find a hotel room but whether it would be your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice is debatable.

3. Be wary of the myth that Pattaya is quiet and rooms galore are available. Yes, our visitors from India, China and Russia in general do not stay in the accommodation most of us do, not in the same locations really. However, with "availability" there is always a knock on effect up the ladder. Walking Street and the bars may seem quiet but overall visitor numbers are up so this exacerbates this knock on effect.

Personally I would always book in full in advance although as I stated initially walk-ins are always possible.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I do walk in's.

Out of countless times coming to Pattaya, I have only ever booked in advance 2 times (because it was high season and I wanted a particular place).

All the other times, I just book the flight.

For the past 10 years I had never even considered this as an option.  Most recent rip in May 2017 though, due to situational visitations in different cities and uncertainty of length made me look at the option.  A fellow member posted in another thread about it and that in 'low season' May-October, we hold all the cards.  so I did it...or did not do it, so to say (the booking).   Walked into VT6 about 9am, viewed 7 condos from multiple agencies located on ground floor, made my pick and came back an hour later with my bags.  Decided to take a monthly rate even though I only needed it for 28 days because the ease, price, and flexibility it offered me.  Will I do it like that again next trip?...Not likely, but at least now I know the options and possibilities.  A few pros and cons..

Pros

-Actually looking at and smelling a room before renting it gives an impression of the cleanliness and upkeep

-Can select the unit with layout (TV-bed-couch-etc) that I prefer best. 

-Possible negotiating power since an agent wants it booked rather than empty

Cons

-Uncertainty and what it can do to my worrisome mind (ended up being rightfully easy though)

-Possible lack of options if it is high season or many short-timers made small bookings that agents accepted not knowing a 1 month guy was coming. 

-Logistics...bring my luggage and me to a place, storing it in their office even if I don't book with them, possible having to get a taxi and repeat the process to another building/hotel, then it can get later on in the day and options become less.

Sure, there are many more, just put a few out there.  I eliminated some by having the number of a guesthouse in a convenient location (Buakhow), called and got a room on the spot for 500 baht a night just for a day or 2 until I found a bigger place for the rest of my month.  It happened to be mentioned in a thread here-The Boomerang Guesthouse-so I called Michael, got a room, its a nice clean place, great location, easy quick on the spot booking.  If it were the bigger room on the 3rd floor, I would have taken it there for the month, but that one was booked. 

Also, do remember that there is a difference in bookings at hotels versus condo type places.  I had sufficient cash-in-hand to pay 1 month forward.  Perhaps for many, the best way would be to have a decent hotel booked for the first 2 days allowing you to look at other options yet have the security of not being left out on the street.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, if more details wanted, let me know, or PM.

Stay well, Friends

I decided go back to stay in Pattaya for 2 days as staying with the girlie in Sciratcha was restricting my mongering so did a walk-in to the same hotel I stayed in on arrival and it was more expensive than the Agoda pricing.

Personally on reflection, in the future I will always book hotels online as I can read the reviews and get the room type and location safe in the knowledge I have a room booked and paid for.

We all like different things in a hotel and I simply can't be arsed walking around Pattaya, I also like to have a hotel close to a 7/11 and the Baht bus routes.

I use to do it when i was newer to the scene and didn't know were or what i liked. I would book my first few days and look around or stay at my current hotel and because of that I have stayed in like 8 places haven't done it my last 2 trips because I don't like having to pack up my things and move every couple of days, and I know what i'm into so i just book ahead of time and can just relax.

A Bangkok experience: in February this year I was staying at the Grand President in Sukhumvit Soi 11. After two nights I had to leave, as the hotel was fully booked.

I walked up the Soi intending to call in at Holiday Inn to check vacancies.

On the way I passed Citadines, went in and asked for the rate. Can't remember exactly but something like "3500 a night but cheaper if you book on the web". I had my iPad with me so immediately sat down in reception and booked on their web site for 3000.

Bit more than I'd been paying at Gd President, but hotel was fine.

Seems to me a bit like spam seeing as you also started a thread saying the same thing.

Anyhow, I like walk-in's I just did a road trip for 10 days and got up to 70% off, due to being a walk in.

which hotel did you receive 70percent off the price? was it off the rack price or Agoda's price? seems like a significant saving.   Thanks in advance.

I never book in advance for Pattaya visits but only stay a few days at a time.  I'm a resident, so immigration is not an issue.  Diamond Beach hotel charges 850 for walk-in, 1200 if you book on Agoda (includes breakfast, worth 100).  

I'm not recommending this hotel, but the location is good.

Retired

Archived