IGNORED

WTF is Microsoft Edge? Spyware?

fakebook

When I run CCleaner immediately after closing Internet Explorer 11 it often tells me that both Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are “Skipped”, which I think implies that both programs are still running in the background.

Note that I’ve never ever used Microsoft Edge in my life, at least not knowingly.

Strange enough, since the latest automatic and mandatory Windows 10 update (which BTW delayed the start up of my notebook by more than half an hour), on the Internet Explorer 11 screen a Microsoft Edge button appears now, that I can’t remove.

My question: What is Microsoft Edge about and what is it good for (except for Mister Bill Gates)?

skipped.jpg

button.jpg

Its a search engine, same as internet explorer. 

Pretty sure it comes part of windows 10. It does no harm to just leave it alone.

You should get a pop up "microsoft edge has to close blah blah"..... then click 'close' which should stop edge from running so ccleaner can clear cache.

You asking me?

Edge is the new Microsoft browser i.e. you don't need IE anymore (no pun intended). Although it is better than IE, I have no idea why people would use either out of choice (some antiquated sites/software may force you to in which case use a browser plugin such as IE Tab).

You asking me?

It's Microsoft's new browser that's supposed to replace IE.  I know some people hate all browsers from MS, but Edge has legitimate benefits for users on notebooks/tablets where it's significantly more power efficient than Chrome.  Not a benefit for everyone I suppose, but a benefit no less.

I am a Chrome user, and have been for a long time.  I didn't use IE, and like Edge, it was integral to the O/S, it just sat there and did nothing, and was nothing to worry about.

I have tried Edge a few times, and I find it ok.  It is fast.. very fast. without tweaking, when you search, you are using Bing. But like any browser, it can be tailored to suit the user's needs.  

5 hours ago, Edge said:

You asking me?

41 minutes ago, dave01 said:

$I have tried Edge a few times, and I find it ok.  It is fast.. very fast. without tweaking, when you search, you are using Bing. But like any browser, it can be tailored to suit the user's needs.  

:Busted:

Its a search engine, same as internet explorer. 
Pretty sure it comes part of windows 10. It does no harm to just leave it alone.

It's not a search engine....it's an internet browser for viewing and interacting with websites, and it uses a search engine to help you find what you're looking for.

2 hours ago, vivid said:

It's not a search engine....it's an internet browser for viewing and interacting with websites, and it uses a search engine to help you find what you're looking for.

Yes, my bad. Wrong terminology. 

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:47 AM, Edge said:

You asking me?

No, I don’t want to read more bullshit.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:44 AM, Farmer1 said:

You should get a pop up "microsoft edge has to close blah blah"..... then click 'close' which should stop edge from running so ccleaner can clear cache.

I don’t receive that pop-up.

I think I switched it off.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:49 AM, Ru4Real said:

Edge is the new Microsoft browser i.e. you don't need IE anymore (no pun intended). Although it is better than IE, I have no idea why people would use either out of choice (some antiquated sites/software may force you to in which case use a browser plugin such as IE Tab).

My understanding was that Microsoft Edge was worse than Internet Explorer.

31 minutes ago, fakebook said:

My understanding was that Microsoft Edge was worse than Internet Explorer.

Please substantiate that somehow.  Nothing is worse than IE.

10 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

Please substantiate that somehow.  Nothing is worse than IE.

IE is a blade in my back. I still have to support it back to IE9. 

No - Edge is the more modern, more compatible-with-standards browser. If you're using any version of IE, you should embrace Edge and offer it a blowjob. To kill IE, it's worth that much. 

• 1 year later...

Archived