IGNORED

One way Airline Ticket

windsors420

Will there be any problems with having only a one way ticket?  I have  just retired and want to travel in Asia. I don' want to commit to any plan, but want to be fee to go when I please. I have no problem with 30 0r 60 day visa rules.

51 minutes ago, windsors420 said:

Will there be any problems with having only a one way ticket?  I have  just retired and want to travel in Asia. I don' want to commit to any plan, but want to be fee to go when I please. I have no problem with 30 0r 60 day visa rules.

As I understand it, with regard to Thailand, you can be asked to show your flight information as to when you are leaving the country. I have been to Thailand probably 25 times and have never been asked for that info.

The more likely problem is that you will be called out for overstaying your arrival visa, when you leave.  

Because I had some mileage soon would be expired a couple year ago, I claimed a one way ticket to Bangkok on Thai Airways. I guess the immgration officer saw I only had a one way ticket. He asked me how many days I was going to stay in Thailand. He didn't even ask me about my return ticket.

The likely time to get hassle for a one way ticket is at checkin at your home destination - some airlines may not let you board.

It depends where are you from. In Finland they don't grant a tourist visa if you don't have the ticket out of the country during your 90 days. I have read UK has no same policy. 

When flying on a one way ticket, it is the airline's responsibility to see proof of " onward passage" . Basically if you are refused entry to a country they have to fly you back at their expense.

Rarely will Immigration question you unless you have a flag on your passport for whatever reason.

I have flown on one way tickets numerous times and always asked at check in for my return or onward ticket.  

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Not just one way tickets, have a return date later than 30 days duration in country and they'll want to see the visa that covers it.

As above the airlines have to diminish their exposure to paying for 'about turn' return travel

That's not to say that the airline definitely will check, or that immigration will raise an eyebrow

But

Like the drugs mule with the 'never a problem' method

It's OK right up until the moment it isn't ;)

Just get a visa of some shape and you'll be fine. It's the airline that is most likely to impede your progress if you don't.

I often fly into BKK on a one way award ticket, with the return on a different airline.  I have been asked about my return travel once or twice, and I think I showed them my itinerary, but they did nothing to look it up.  In fact, unless they have some kind of codeshare agreement, I don't think Cathay (for example) can look up an itinerary on EVA.

Out of an abundance of caution, you can either:
1. book a fully refundable ticket, print that itinerary and cancel (either prior to your trip or after you get into Thailand); 
2. book a changeable ticket to a destination to which you plan to go, then change it after arrival in Thailand (or go when it is booked); or
3. book a very cheap one way ticket out of Thailand (AirAsia, etc.) and just toss it after arrival.

On 2017-5-28 at 8:17 PM, Luv2Phuket said:

I often fly into BKK on a one way award ticket, with the return on a different airline.  I have been asked about my return travel once or twice, and I think I showed them my itinerary, but they did nothing to look it up.  In fact, unless they have some kind of codeshare agreement, I don't think Cathay (for example) can look up an itinerary on EVA.

Out of an abundance of caution, you can either:
1. book a fully refundable ticket, print that itinerary and cancel (either prior to your trip or after you get into Thailand); 
2. book a changeable ticket to a destination to which you plan to go, then change it after arrival in Thailand (or go when it is booked); or
3. book a very cheap one way ticket out of Thailand (AirAsia, etc.) and just toss it after arrival.

A couple of times now I've flown in and out of Thailand on one-way tickets and had read that the airlines can sometimes refuse boarding. The first time, like your suggestion, I booked a dirt cheap budget airline flight out the country. I think that it cost be 25GBP, but was worth it for piece of mind. The second time I just reused the booking email and changed the dates. At check-in, they looked at it but didn't look it up (it was with a different airline anyway).

The airlines are really only worried about having the cost of them flying you home, so I also take along a bank statement showing that I have sufficient funds for a lengthy trip.

bb69

On 30/05/2017 at 11:23 AM, billybob69 said:

The airlines are really only worried about having the cost of them flying you home, so I also take along a bank statement showing that I have sufficient funds for a lengthy trip.

they are not bothered about the cost of flying you home they are concerned about the standard £2,000 fine

Archived