IGNORED

Black Pudding

hey guys did not know where to ask about this so I guess this is a good a place as any ... just had a phone call from one of my ozzie mates in pattaya and he asked if I could fetch some black pudding from uk . now I'm travelling from Newcastle to Dubai  then on to bangkok ..so do you guys think it will be allowed on the plane cheers in advance guys..

Why bother, even BigCExtra have the full range of Yorkie's products, including BP.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Why bother, even BigCExtra have the full range of Yorkie's products, including BP.

yes maybe so but it tastes nothing like what the local butcher makes.... anyone else please feel free to answer the question..

No reason why you shouldn't be allowed to carry - either checked in or hand luggage - as long as it is properly wrapped. Though security staff can do what they like, it's not banned in any way.

Not sure what Thai Customs rules are, but unlikely to be searched anyway. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I'm no BP expert but wouldn't it need to be refrigerated?

If it was me I'd put it in the checked luggage. I've put my food type stuff in checked in luggage and nobody has stopped me even though I always imagine the numerous multi packs of chewit type sweets may look like plastic explosive on the x-ray machine.

Also possibly I don't think the mid East security would be impressed with pigs blood(?) type food if they were to go rooting through through your carry on bag

Buy something shrink-wrapped in the UK, wrap in tin foil and refrigerate. Just before leaving for the airport put the whole thing, tin foil and all, into your checked luggage. As this travels in a hold that is only partially heated it will stay nice and cool but wont freeze.

I do this every year with cheese, pork pies, bacon, runner beans and suchlike and have never had any problems.

I had a whole long black pudding brought from the UK for me and that was on Emirates through Dubai.  They kept it refrigerated, wrapped in foil until ready to leave and then wrapped in bubble wrap and a further tin foil wrap.  Long journey as we live in Udon Thani but it arrived still cool and perfect.  Guess it was in the hold luggage but never asked about that.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

3 hours ago, udontony said:

I had a whole long black pudding brought from the UK for me and that was on Emirates through Dubai.  They kept it refrigerated, wrapped in foil until ready to leave and then wrapped in bubble wrap and a further tin foil wrap.  Long journey as we live in Udon Thani but it arrived still cool and perfect.  Guess it was in the hold luggage but never asked about that.

Living in the outback if you're that keen couldn't you make your own?

Certainly no shortage of the main ingredients and Google makes sure there are no secret recipes any more
 http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-pudding-51145600

Be advised that Australia have very strict import of food restrictions. I am reasonably confident that on arrival food products like BP have to be declared and I also think you will find that the Quarantine officers(QOs) will confiscate it. Chances of getting it past the QOs very good. However, chances of getting it past the "sniffer dogs" not very good at all. The dogs are very quick to pick up meat and related products.  Last year I got pulled over as dog had alerted the QOs to a scent in my day pack. Yes I had a ham sandwich in my day pack - but that was over a week ago and in the Lake District. So be advised!   

52 minutes ago, Edge said:

Living in the outback if you're that keen couldn't you make your own?

Certainly no shortage of the main ingredients and Google makes sure there are no secret recipes any more
 http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-pudding-51145600

Years ago living in the UK I used to keep pigs and make my own bacon and ham but attempts at black pudding making never seemed to work out very good.  Here in Issan I have never tried to make any pork products because all the ways that I used to do relied on it being cooler.  Only made bacon and ham in UK in November through to February.  This was just for our own consumption but eventually the rules became more difficult to follow after two big disease outbreaks.

Just now, udontony said:

Years ago living in the UK I used to keep pigs and make my own bacon and ham but attempts at black pudding making never seemed to work out very good.  Here in Issan I have never tried to make any pork products because all the ways that I used to do relied on it being cooler.  Only made bacon and ham in UK in November through to February.  This was just for our own consumption but eventually the rules became more difficult to follow after two big disease outbreaks.

I was in pigs as well and funnily enough, during the F&M outbreak, when all movements were stopped, was the time we had to get more involved in (illegal) home killing and butchering etc......freezers full everywhere and deliveries under cover of darkness.   :o
But no I never tried making BP sausages or bacon etc.....we had way too much prime meat.
In normal times our local village butcher would make all the other stuff for us.

I doubt there are many pig diseases they don't already have here, yet still I wouldn't want to have to explain to Customs/Immigration why I was bringing in pig blood products, albeit no doubt heavily laced with preservatives and cooked of course.....that's before I get to my own health concerns.

23 minutes ago, Edge said:

I was in pigs as well and funnily enough, during the F&M outbreak, when all movements were stopped, was the time we had to get more involved in (illegal) home killing and butchering etc......freezers full everywhere and deliveries under cover of darkness.   :o
But no I never tried making BP sausages or bacon etc.....we had way too much prime meat.
In normal times our local village butcher would make all the other stuff for us.

I doubt there are many pig diseases they don't already have here, yet still I wouldn't want to have to explain to Customs/Immigration why I was bringing in pig blood products, albeit no doubt heavily laced with preservatives and cooked of course.....that's before I get to my own health concerns.

Pigs was never my job, just a sideline so we could have decent cheap meat and real ham at a decent price.  Only ever kept two sows at most and many times non at all, just bought a litter when we could.  Movement licenses were from local police station and nobody ever asked where the pigs went in the end.  Always sold half a pig to the local policemans wife every winter for a bit of security because we did everything ourselves.   

Our local butchers made fantastic pork products but they were expensive compared with the things that I could produce and they were always willing to take any excess pigs off my hands.  Home cured dry salted ham has to be tasted to believe just how much flavour there is in it, one thing that I do miss in Thailand.

When I am in Pattaya the best thing on my breakfast plate is the black pudding and I used to  go to places where they also offer extra black pudding as a side dish, but they are getting harder to find now.

Cheers guys some good advice...... have spoken to emirates today and emirates says as long as it is not consumed on the plane there will be no problems at Dubai or Thailand as long as it is well packaged they will keep it in the fridge so looks ok but time will tell once again cheers guys..:Cross_Fingers:

Buy a freezer bag. And put it in the middle of your clothes in the suitcase. Just brought a load back to Oman, transfered through Dubai. Not a problem just make sure it's vacuum packed as that is the concern for the airlines if it leaks it can corrode the aircraft. Do not put it in hand luggage.

i've brought asstd shedloads of stuff in checked baggage that in theory should have gone off without problems. apart from 1 connection when i made the plane in abu dhabi and the luggage spent around 17 hrs sitting on the Runway before it joined a flight to bkk and was then delivered. even then not everything was a total loss. you don't have to risk eating the delivered product anyway

• 2 weeks later...

When travelling to LOS, I always buy bacon, sausage & black pudding at Airport and just hand carry onto plane. Once in LOS, put into freezer. Never any issues.

Should not be allowed on an Aircraft dangerous weapon used in the martial art of Ecky Thump:D

• 2 months later...

The 89bt breakfast in Retox on Soi lengkee has two slices of black pudding.

And a dam big breakfast it is if you have never tried one go do it.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

6 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

JDM

the last one i had was 98baht and had no BP

8 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

JDM

I think you meant 98 bht. bloke I know  often posts a pic of the said offering with 2 bits but it's cos his mate does not touch black pudding so it gets passed his own plate

18 hours ago, striderman said:

I think you meant 98 bht. bloke I know  often posts a pic of the said offering with 2 bits but it's cos his mate does not Touch black pudding so it gets passed his own plate

Sorry big fingers small keyboard.

Yes its 98tb I went this morning and its one slice black pudding  as shown in the picture.

My last visit I had two altho one was smaller and the end cut so maybe it was thrown in.

I asked for no fried bread and was just expecting it to be removed however I was pleasantly surprised when thay replaced it with 2 extra toast.

I have only had two breakfast there.

JDM

20170628_122605.jpg

Wow-until this thread, I had never heard of black pudding.  After reading this thread and a bit of googling, it is on my radar now at retox or otherwise as a must try for me.  (we do have blood sausage-similar, but not the same I imagine and it is fairly hard to come by) 

Thanks, fellas

13 hours ago, George810 said:

Wow-until this thread, I had never heard of black pudding.  After reading this thread and a bit of googling, it is on my radar now at Retox or otherwise as a must try for me.  (we do have blood sausage-similar, but not the same I imagine and it is fairly hard to come by) 

Thanks, fellas

It is for sale in Makro.

JDM

had no problems getting it through put it in suitcase and was still as good as it was when put in suitcase my pal was over the moon with it once again cheers guys..

Archived