IGNORED

Owner Keeps asking to Show Unit I'm Renting to Realtors

Hi, I'm renting at The Base and the owner is trying to sell the unit I'm renting.

She keeps asking me if realtors can stop by to show the unit to potential buyers.

I have allowed it to be shown three times in the last month but am getting tired of it.

The Owner is a nice lady, but should I  just refuse to allow realtors to come while I'm renting?

Consider the fact that she might ask you to leave if you refuse to show it.

What do you think is more important to her, unloading the condo or a month's rent?

2 minutes ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Consider the fact that she might ask you to leave if you refuse to show it.

What do you think is more important to her, unloading the condo or a month's rent?

Ya, I've considered that thanks, which is why I reluctantly have been showing it for her.

For now I'll just keep playing along. For example this morning already a realtor has been trying to call me so she can show it. I responded and said that I was out but maybe this afternoon, which when she calls again I will say that I am not home. 

this is in many rental contracts with 24 hour notice.   read your contract and see if it is there

11 minutes ago, just hanging said:

this is in many rental contracts with 24 hour notice.   read your contract and see if it is there

Good to know. I will check thanks.

I looked at the contract and there is no mention of leasor being able to show the property and/or notice periods.

Just tell the viewers that they'll have to be quick as you have a hospital appointment later today - as the results are back for the Leptospirosis cultures taken from the infected rat bites you keep getting at night in this apartment.

They'll get the message

3 hours ago, cutter said:

Good to know. I will check thanks.

I looked at the contract and there is no mention of leasor being able to show the property and/or notice periods.

cool, one up for you but as brian said, you are kind of stuck.    You might want to nicely mention it wasnt in the contract

1 hour ago, regyai said:

Just tell the viewers that they'll have to be quick as you have a hospital appointment later today - as the results are back for the Leptospirosis cultures taken from the infected rat bites you keep getting at night in this apartment.

They'll get the message

just tell them make sure not to flush the toilet or it will flood.  easier

But unless it actually does, a press of the lever wankerfies you n'est ce pas

But as for pointing out missing contractual clauses to a Thai landlord ....

that will only emphasise the lack of deposit return timescales ;)

8 minutes ago, regyai said:

just put a mop next to it and tell them if they flush they will have to mop it up

3 hours ago, regyai said:

Luckily for me the Owner is a nice Thai lady. Otherwise I wouldn't consider helping her.

6 hours ago, cutter said:

Hi, I'm renting at The Base and the owner is trying to sell the unit I'm renting.

She keeps asking me if realtors can stop by to show the unit to potential buyers.

I have allowed it to be shown three times in the last month but am getting tired of it.

The Owner is a nice lady, but should I  just refuse to allow realtors to come while I'm renting?

Explain to the owner that your not happy with all these viewings, cut short your contract with her and move.

She wants to sell it but also wants your rent until its sold, cant blame her really but your only remedy is to move.

Dont be difficult over viewings, just get out of the place and be happy somewhere else.

Life is too short.

9 minutes ago, CuppaTea said:

Explain to the owner that your not happy with all these viewings, cut short your contract with her and move.

She wants to sell it but also wants your rent until its sold, cant blame her really but your only remedy is to move.

Dont be difficult over viewings, just get out of the place and be happy somewhere else.

Life is too short.

I am considering this but I am not so annoyed with her that I am ready to do this yet.

I am getting a good deal here direct with the Owner. 15k/month including wifi and the contract is just month to month.

If I wasn't getting what I think is a good deal, then I would definitely look at moving as I plan on staying until November. 

Actually my monthly payment is due 25th of each month, so I will look a week before to see what else is available.

I'd move some time soon that suits you.  Get looking for alternative places now.

One crucial reason to get on with moving soon is that you plan on staying only until November, ie just about six months away.  Often there's a six month minimum on the best (priced) apartments, so that if you leave it too long you won't be in P long enough to be able to go for one of the best (priced) apartments for your remaining time.

Sound like you're holding all the cards i would ask for a rent reduction and put up with it or  will move. there are heaps of places out there i have got on to a few owners of bigger than the base one bedrooms  and studios for  15k on the go for june i can give you some links if needed.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Three times in a month to show for sale does not seem unreasonable. 

27 minutes ago, sinbad5 said:

The Base units don't usually have in-room safes, and so having outsiders nosing around wouldn't feel comfortable to me.  There are loads of almost identical units in The Base, low season is here, so it seems a no-brainer to me to look around at what else is on offer.

On 08/05/2017 at 11:00 AM, just hanging said:

Yes, there is commonly a clause about realtor visits and owner inspections.

I rewrote the clause in my rental agreement to suit me before signing it: maximum once a month with at least 72 hours notice, and more frequently only on a case by case basis and only if I agree. Tenancy agreements are rarely written in the tenant's favour and it is up to him to improve his deal before signing. Given that there are far more places to rent than there are tenants, landlords are unlikely not to agree to fair terms. If they do disagree just move on to the next vacant condo.

13 hours ago, sinbad5 said:

It does to me.

Considering you are there for a finite number of days at considerable expense from the other side of the planet TO ENJOY YOURSELF just what part of having these days eroded to earn money for a landlord enshrines 'reasonableness'?

4 hours ago, regyai said:

to earn money for a landlord

I understood the OP to mean that the current owner was looking to sell, and that therefore a departure was inevitable sometime (soon?)  In that scenario it would seem much better to me to depart at a time of my own choosing when I'd lined up another suitable place to move to.  It might get far less convenient than that.

On 2017-5-12 at 5:28 PM, SirL said:

The Base units don't usually have in-room safes, and so having outsiders nosing around wouldn't feel comfortable to me.  There are loads of almost identical units in The Base, low season is here, so it seems a no-brainer to me to look around at what else is on offer.

True there are lots of  units, but I feel that I am getting a good deal at 15,000/m including internet for a month to month contract.

Other units are asking 18k/m or more for a contract 6 months or less. And often they don't  have a washing machine (mine does) and they charge extra for internet

2 hours ago, cutter said:

True there are lots of  units, but I feel that I am getting a good deal at 15,000/m including internet for a month to month contract.

Other units are asking 18k/m or more for a contract 6 months or less. And often they don't  have a washing machine (mine does) and they charge extra for internet

Yes, B15k/m is a good low price, though IMO the low inwards-facing no-wifi 29 m2 condos are worth less than the high outwards wified 34 m2 ones.  I assume your deal was originally for a minimum of six months, which you've clocked up so you're in the comfortable situation of now going month to month?

Archived