IGNORED

Job openiings for a UK man

gummy

Folks,

A bit of a change from some of my posts, its a serious one !!!

This is a serious post regarding a friend of mine who is in some extremely serious difficulties financially.  As many folk he thought his life was complete married to his Thai wife and trusted her 100% and is here on an extension of stay due to retirement.

But his world has recently caved in on him but he must remain in Thailand for his own reasons as he has no family or home elsewhere. or in the UK.  I can not go into other details of his circumstances but would like serious responses please rather than cynical ones.

I am concerned that he will become depressive , as he is an extremely well educated person, although in his sixties, is physically fit and always well dressed but this set back in his life has hit him hard and he is desperate to find a job. He has previously worked in Thailand for some years but is unable to find employment in his own field. He needs something to give him purpose to keep him

Would be grateful if any business owners on this forum could suggest or know of any openings either in the entertainment industry or other ( he was previously in management), so I could "point him in the right direction".    He tells me he is needing to earn a minimum of 70,000 baht per month as he has financial commitments in Thailand.

Would appreciate for any feedback/offers/contacts etc so that I could pass on to him.

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

gummy, at 70,000 Baht a month I think it will be a long wait, this is a serious response based on reality so I think your friend will need to review his expectations.

Thanks for your reply.  So what would you think is more realistic expectation for him and I will try and convince him something is better than nothing.

Think he will find it very tough.

If he is educated as you say, ie has a degree. Teaching might be an option but without an educational degree (PGCE etc) he might be looking at 30-40K a month if he can find a job.

Unfortunately his age will likely play against him.

As Cerberus stated, time to take stock and to consider other options.

7 hours ago, gummy said:

Thanks for your reply.  So what would you think is more realistic expectation for him and I will try and convince him something is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, tj916 said:

Think he will find it very tough.

If he is educated as you say, ie has a degree. Teaching might be an option but without an educational degree (PGCE etc) he might be looking at 30-40K a month if he can find a job.

Unfortunately his age will likely play against him.

As Cerberus stated, time to take stock and to consider other options.

I believe BM tj916 has outlined his best chance if he meets the requirements. 

Younger guys with the health and stamina willing to risk working without a WP possibly have the odd opportunity in the bar industry. If  he has the skills sets that are needed he would be better off seeking employment with an international firm that was looking for staff for Thailand.

The lack of replies should tell you something regards your initial inquiry, as there are many guys who would like the opportunity to work here, some have found their answer as bar managers with a group on Soi 6, hence my comment above.

what skills set does the man have. If I could make 70 k "minimum"a month in Thailand for an unskilled job (and work legally) I would be over there already. 

I think Your mate is going to struggle to find work. 

Can you imagine, if there is anything forthcoming there will be a gang of respondees on it before you even get chance to pass it on to your mate. 

Go back to the UK and collect social if he doesn't he'll be on the streets begging.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

Hard to advise without knowing more about the skills set & work experience of your pal, Gummy.

But ... he might make contact with the British Chamber of Commerce to establish whether there are any suitable vacancies in Thai offices/plants etc of UK companies, networking opportunities and so on.

https://members.bccthai.com/bcct/asp/default.asp

41 minutes ago, storytime said:

Go back to the UK and collect social if he doesn't he'll be on the streets begging.

Harsh but fair advice in my opinion.

He is not the first and certainly won't be the last who has had to do it.

Thailand can be a cruel mistress.....

3 minutes ago, tj916 said:

Harsh but fair advice in my opinion.

He is not the first and certainly won't be the last who has had to do it.

Thailand can be a cruel mistress.....

It is a cruel mistress the trick, like  flowers, is to live in sh*t in the first place. If the gentleman has over stayed or can't get the money to get back to blighty then he needs to seriously sort that out.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Younger guys with the health and stamina willing to risk working without a WP possibly have the odd opportunity in the bar industry..... there are many guys who would like the opportunity to work here, some have found their answer as bar managers with a group on Soi 6, 

I'd expect there are many many gregarious guys who'd like to work as bar managers on Soi 6, and consequently I'd be surprised if that job paid as much as B70k/month.  I'm sure there'd be plenty of keen guys at B30-40k/month.

AIUI the number of employee positions is limited.  Better for your friend to think in terms of starting his own business and creating his own job that way.

22 hours ago, storytime said:

This might be a good idea in the short term while developing the means to return to LOS and earn a living there. 

Teaching English in an international school or to businesses might serve. A BM who hasn't posted here recently was doing that apparently quite successfully. 

If working online seems attractive I could point one down a path to doing that which might work, despite the 95% reported failure rate. It's also said that no one fails doing that, they just "quit before the magic happens". 

Writing articles or providing IT support (programming, software or web development) via the freelancer sites may serve, assuming one has or is willing to learn those skills. Best of luck to your friend. 

Honestly, his age will count against him. For example, a friend is a qualified teacher & still working well into his 60's. An International School in Thailand wanted him to work for them but said they couldn't get a work permit due to his age. Several countries have similar rules. 

The many private Thai schools are happy to employ unqualified westerners to teach but salary likely to be 40k at best, more likely 30k, plus basic accommodation. Gets difficult once you're over 50 though, and even more difficult once 60+.

If he really is in a hole then honestly the UK may be better. He'll struggle for 6 months but will then have a decent chance of getting a flat, some benefits, some work and get to use the NHS.

If he stays in Thailand he needs to cut down his outlays. What is the 70k a month going on? Exactly his old is he? I assume he will have a UK State Pension at some point. That's something. Any private pension due? He could take that now if he has one.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

If he is educated as you say he could look at freelancer websites like upwork.com or freelancer.com. Now to be honest these sites are definitely best to earn supplementary income as a second income on evenings or weekends. But depending on skills and experience many people do enough to support themselves full time here. It would take a lot of work and no little skill and ability to create a reputation good enough to earn 70000 baht a month however. 

Not got any idea but if he is reasonably educated and articulate a long shot could be to contact the new private international Rugby School to see if there is any opportunities. It's a huge complex just being built and I think it's due to open later in the year. It's out at Khao Mai Kaew maybe they would want some kind of caretakers or something but highly unlikely to be the salary range you mentioned.

Start a website offering tour guides, translation, security, middleman services with local experts. 

Archived