Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Reading - Question

jayjo

Hi Guys, i can read Thai already very well and fast, but i never really understood one thing while reading, let me explain:

กรุงเทพมหานคร, only take the last 3 consonants, its "nakon". What indicates me that after the น there is an A, and after the ค there is an O, it has nothing to do with the level of the consonants, cause both of them are Low.

มหา same, its spoken Mahaa, how do i find out when to speak A or O when no Vocal is shown? Thanks

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

Maybe the ThaiDict app from Paiboon can offer you more insight. It's not cheap (20€ or so) but it's really really good in explaining spelling/sound etc. But oth, I'm a Thai newbie reader... :-D

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

hello ,

as far as i know this is an exeption between  others ..... don't try to understand them , just learn them , you will get accostumed little by little . i don't know how you are learning but those exeptions are registered in good lessons book .   Little by little it will be automatic for you to read them .

Did you already noticed that sometime it is the contrary ?  some are written but ...... you don't pronnonce them !  they are just there , written but with no sound to pronnounce . 

Actually this is not a  thai-thai consonant you are reading here , this one comes from ancient sanskrit .

nakhorn means  "city" here .  maha means " huge"   as mahasamuth means "ocean"  , you may have heard about mahayana bouddhism  , here ,  mahanakhorn means big city .  

when you are reading the name of Bangkok you are not reading thai , you are reading sanskrit . 

Some words in thai are still written from sanskrit or pali .

You will not be done with illogical exeptions when you will start how to qualify things !!!

I thought that if the consonant is followed by a short vowel (that is not shown) at the end of a syllable, it is อะ .

If the unshown short vowel is between two consonants within a syllable,  the sound is โอะ .

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

5 hours ago, dude26 said:

hello ,

as far as i know this is an exeption between  others ..... don't try to understand them , just learn them , you will get accostumed little by little . i don't know how you are learning but those exeptions are registered in good lessons book .   Little by little it will be automatic for you to read them .

Did you already noticed that sometime it is the contrary ?  some are written but ...... you don't pronnonce them !  they are just there , written but with no sound to pronnounce . 

Actually this is not a  thai-thai consonant you are reading here , this one comes from ancient sanskrit .

nakhorn means  "city" here .  maha means " huge"   as mahasamuth means "ocean"  , you may have heard about mahayana bouddhism  , here ,  mahanakhorn means big city .  

when you are reading the name of Bangkok you are not reading thai , you are reading sanskrit . 

Some words in thai are still written from sanskrit or pali .

You will not be done with illogical exeptions when you will start how to qualify things !!

That was only an example, there are many more words like this.

กด

สด

วง

คง

etc.

2 hours ago, Syd Tybil said:

I thought that if the consonant is followed by a short vowel (that is not shown) at the end of a syllable, it is อะ .

If the unshown short vowel is between two consonants within a syllable,  the sound is โอะ .

Can you explain this with an example please?

First you have to split the word up in syllables (this is actually the hard part), after that it's pretty straightforward. 

The basic rule is like Syd Tybil said:

-If the syllable doesn't end with a consonant, the implicit vowel will be a short "a" อะ

So มหา is pronounced มะ-หา "ma-haa"

-If the syllable ends with a consonant, the implicit vowel will be a short "o" โอะ

So for instance คน is pronounced "kon"

Most 2 syllable words without any written vowels, like พนม (meaning: hill) are pronounced with first a short อะ and then a short โอะ, in this case พะ-นม "pa-nom"

Of course there are exceptions, mostly when the final consonant is an "r", then the implicit vowel is often a long, different "o" ออ, as in นคร

So นคร is pronounced นะ-คอน "na-korn"

Another difficulty are words where the final consonant of a syllable is also the first consonant of the next syllable. 

These are harder to split up in syllables, especially if you've never seen them written before. 

For instance "fruit" is spelled ผลไม้ and pronounced ผน-ละ-ไม้ "pon-la-mai"

Hope this helps :)

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

slick67 explained it well.

My example word is ผสม, to mix.

It is pronounced pa-som (low tone-rising tone).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

slick67 explained it well.

My example word is ผสม, to mix.

It is pronounced pa-som (low tone-rising tone).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, slick67 said:

First you have to split the word up in syllables (this is actually the hard part), after that it's pretty straightforward. 

The basic rule is like Syd Tybil said:

-If the syllable doesn't end with a consonant, the implicit vowel will be a short "a" อะ

So มหา is pronounced มะ-หา "ma-haa"

-If the syllable ends with a consonant, the implicit vowel will be a short "o" โอะ

So for instance คน is pronounced "kon"

Most 2 syllable words without any written vowels, like พนม (meaning: hill) are pronounced with first a short อะ and then a short โอะ, in this case พะ-นม "pa-nom"

Of course there are exceptions, mostly when the final consonant is an "r", then the implicit vowel is often a long, different "o" ออ, as in นคร

So นคร is pronounced นะ-คอน "na-korn"

Another difficulty are words where the final consonant of a syllable is also the first consonant of the next syllable. 

These are harder to split up in syllables, especially if you've never seen them written before. 

For instance "fruit" is spelled ผลไม้ and pronounced ผน-ละ-ไม้ "pon-la-mai"

Hope this helps :)

This helps thanks all of you.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am currently learning the Thai alphabet and getting just half way through it, reading and writing them letters. My question is once I have learned them all, how do I go about putting them together to make a word or sentence? for example gor gai and kor khon?

Any help much appreciated

Hi,
I am currently learning the Thai alphabet and getting just half way through it, reading and writing them letters. My question is once I have learned them all, how do I go about putting them together to make a word or sentence? for example gor gai and kor khon?

Any help much appreciated
Chicken, gai ไก่ vowel - consonant - tone mark

Person, khon คน consonant - implied vowel - consonant

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I am just wondering if someone can tell me which learning tool is the best for Thai (Something similar to Rosetta Stone). A friend of mine went to Tuk come yesterday to get me the Rosetta Stone package and they turned round and said we dont do it for Thai anymore but every other language. I am just wondering which language package would people recommend to learn thai with (reading, writing and speaking)

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Archived