IGNORED

Bangkok has the world's best street food — but authorities want it gone

Kahoy

Thailand's military government is evicting thousands of much-loved street-food vendors from their usual spots in a bid to clear walkways and bring order to the capital.

The move has been criticised for depriving people of affordable meals and pushing Bangkok towards a more sterile future.

"The street food of Bangkok is the blood of Bangkok … this is the charm, it is the fame, it is the identity of Bangkok," said Korakot Punlopruksa, a food writer and travel show host.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-15/bangkok-street-food-vendors-forced-to-move-by-thai-government/8407610

It's a pity that they want to use such an extreme measure to rectify the problem. Clearly the overcrowded streets are a problem but surely there is a better way?  I don't know the city well enought to offer a fix but maybe our resident BMs might?

Edited by Macawber

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

The irony in all this is that the office workers rely on theses places for their lunch. They can't afford going to restaurants every day.

• Like 1

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

I like the Pattaya version better where the people in a white car drive down a soi and all the street food vendors drive off and do a lap of the block, then come back to the exact same spot they had been at 3 minutes previously. Eveyone wins, People get cheap street food the vendors have a living, someone gets a job wearing a uniform and no-one loses face.

Jokes aside this is just one of those things that happens as a country gets westernised. The things that gave it charm and a unique flavour are slowly eradicated. Next thing is open air markets will be set on by mega rich supermarket chains with claims of poor hygiene standards. Get your groceries from wealthy retailers instead of growers.  

• Like 2

Article day built upon this news and said their goal is NO street food in Bangkok period.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312543

Excerpt:
“The BMA is now working to get rid of the street vendors from all 50 districts of Bangkok and return the pavements to the pedestrians. Yaowarat and Khao San Road will be our next goal in clearing out illegal vendors,” Wanlop said.  "No exceptions."

How about they start with getting motorbike taxis of the sidewalk first. That's more dangerous then the street food. I love the street food. Some of my best meals are from street vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news to read, the street food in all of thailand is just great, haven't really eaten much of it in BKK though, but it's easily one of the top reasons why I love Thailand.

http://pattayaone.news/en/somtam-slowly-killing-thais/
Thais’ love of “pla ra” or raw fish used in somtam, as well as other undercooked foods are responsible for increased rates of worm infections, which can lead to liver cancer.
food carts cook everything with palm oil which is way up there for saturated bad fats 

• 3 years later...

To help you out, here's a list of the most popular street food dishes with Thai translations: Som tam (ส้มตำ) – Papaya salad. Khao pad (ข้าวผัด) – Fried Rice. Pad thai kung (ผัดไทยกุ้ง) – Noodles with shrimp. Khao mun gai (ข้าวมันไก่) - Steamed chicken on rice.

1 hour ago, bokek said:

To help you out, here's a list of the most popular street food dishes with Thai translations: Som tam (ส้มตำ) – Papaya salad. Khao pad (ข้าวผัด) – Fried Rice. Pad thai kung (ผัดไทยกุ้ง) – Noodles with shrimp. Khao mun gai (ข้าวมันไก่) - Steamed chicken on rice.

At least quote the reference you cut and pasted from...there is other interesting info there...

https://au.hotels.com/go/thailand/bangkok-street-food-guide?intlid=gglist|listitem