IGNORED

New IT industry word needed for 'Upgrade'

rog555

As we all have experienced, when a new version of computer or phone software is implemented, its basically good and bad news.

Things that used to work happily, stop. Some previous bugs are fixed, some new ones appear.  Relearning has to occur at least.

MS Windows is the classic example of this. Windows 10 has so many oddities and basic bugs that I am considering trying an Apple something or other. 

At its best there is a minimum of downtime during the process. At worst the system you have been happily using becomes unusable and frustrating.

To call this process an 'software upgrade' is just incorrect. Way to positive a word.

We need a new word.

'A change to software' is too neutral.

'A shuffling of bugs and features' is accurate.

'A downgrade' is too negative.

'Change for marketting reasons' is partly true.

'Feature and bug re-arrangement' ?

'An attempt at improvement' ?

What word should be used ?

You are looking for something to accurately describe a process that can vary anywhere between an improvement and a cluster fuck?  Variance is the only word I can come up with but that is not going to be very informative.  Maybe gamble or surprise? 

"crapshot"

and sometimes "compulsory crapshot"

1 hour ago, superdaws said:

You are looking for something to accurately describe a process that can vary anywhere between an improvement and a cluster fuck?  Variance is the only word I can come up with but that is not going to be very informative.  Maybe gamble or surprise? 

Yes software upgrades involve gambling and taking a chance. And surprise, sometimes delight, more often stress. A leap into the unknown, 'out of the frying pan into the fire'. Blind faith.

It would all be OK taking risks hoping for improvements, if the systems we upgrade were not actually so important to our lives.  

I dont want to diss the excellent volunteers who upgraded this system, but I had to chuckle when I read that note they posted that 'now the upgrade has finished we are going to start searching for the important plugins that make it useable'.   A leap into the dark for sure !

I'm getting messages in Windows now that sound like there will be an imminent upgrade to Windows 10. Like a storm warning or tsunami alert....

After fighting win10 the last couple of weeks i would call it a clusterfuck. I call after how it affects me. This weekend i "uppgraded" one of my computers back to win7 so i can use dualscreens again.

/Mike

Migration might be the word your looking for?

Migration to windows 10

For some this will mean a migration into a new high blood pressure 555

Archived