IGNORED

Green Fees

Kim Jong Il

On 4/14/2017 at 8:56 PM, brutox said:

The caddie fee goes to the caddie .. a fraction of which is paid by them to the caddie master.

Cash eliminates the delay in getting money into the pocket of your caddie .. when money is passed through too many hands here, temptation is great and bad things happen .. these gurls do not have a lot of money.

So, be generous to the good caddies, especially during the low season .. they live and die by high season golfers and they work their asses off, in the heat, hauling around a bag of clubs weighing half their own body weight .. (give that a try yourself some day).

My understanding was that on most courses say out of an average 350 caddie fee, 300 goes direct to the caddie and 50 was for the course - wasn't aware they paid/tipped the caddie master but does not surprise me on reflection.

I was not aware they were paid daily which is what you are suggesting, and then makes more sense for cash, otherwise I still query the insistence on cash rather than card in this day and age?

20 hours ago, maxtroy said:

She informed us that it was now the golfers responsibility to get the phone number from the companion so we could book directly with the lady . Wonder how long before this trend catches on .

I may be in the minority when it comes to companions but it sure would be nice to have the option of not taking one . 

At least with most courses you don't have too pay an extra 100 baht booking fee for a caddie - Siam you used to have to. However even booking with the course is no guarantee as they make take another booking especially if they know it is more profitable. Calling them direct is actually usually more certain........but not always....

I know several others who agree with you about not taking caddies but I do believe you are firmly in the minority. I need them if only to see where my ball has ended up! :D

9 hours ago, Kanga said:

My understanding was that on most courses say out of an average 350 caddie fee, 300 goes direct to the caddie and 50 was for the course - wasn't aware they paid/tipped the caddie master but does not surprise me on reflection.

I was not aware they were paid daily which is what you are suggesting, and then makes more sense for cash, otherwise I still query the insistence on cash rather than card in this day and age?

Yeah, Kanga .. it is as I wrote .. the insistence on all cash for caddie fees was because of tight cash flow and to eliminate unnecessary hands on the money in the flow of cash through the system.

Caddies were outside contractors (I think common throughout the industry here) .. they were not a profit center to us .. as independent contractors, the company had no obligation for their wages, severance, insurance, paid holidays, etc. .. during low season, a very large percentage of them return home .. if they were direct employees, the cost burden of carrying them through the low season would have been great.

The caddie fee deduction which was paid back to the caddie master not only paid for the non-caddie wages to administer the caddie program, but they also maintained a fund from which paid some caddie benefits .. I do not recall exactly how it worked, but I think the fund paid medical bills and might have been available for micro-loans to pay for school fees, funerals, etc., all managed by the caddies themselves .. we offered them accounting support, but that was it .. they managed their own accounts.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Caddies are mandated by no government regulation .. they are overwhelmingly demanded .. by the market .

I play a lot of golf around Pattaya and I'd say 9 out of 10 golfers only have caddies because they are "compulsory" yes they can be fun etc etc and i book mine if i can but would rather not have one like many others. "Optional" caddies yes great that would suit everyone.

I was surprised when you said caddies aren't mandated by government.

On the subject of Mountain Shadow and Crystal Bay last i heard a couple of months ago was the banks have taken ownership of them.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

On the subject of Mountain Shadow and Crystal Bay last i heard a couple of months ago was the banks have taken ownership of them.

No shit, scubascuba3? .. they f#ckin' did it again? .. unbelieveable! .. do you know which bank?

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 6:08 PM, maxtroy said:

We have diametrically opposing views on caddies or as I call them companions (lol) because 99 % are no where near being a caddie . I actually find golf to be fun and have no need  to interact with an simple village girl who has next to no knowledge of basically anything remotely interesting to a westerner .  Really do not look forward to " How old you , how long you caddy , where you stay , how many babies ,:Anger:.  I am paying to be allowed to be bored senseless by a woman (not always sure she is female, 555,  not judging just saying ) with the added treat of speaking a bastardized Thai/English that she has made little to no effort to improve in the years she has been companioning for Westerners .

I have been golfing in Thailand for several years and have seen some of the rudest behaviour exhibited on golf courses from Westerners but it is often from exasperation as once again a companion moves into their line of sight when putting , steps on their line , doesn't announce there is a hidden OB marker, places the ball a cm. in front of the marker on the green , and the list goes on and on .

There is clearly no training given to these people . It is unfair to them and poor service to the customer.  In my opinion it is the poorest value for money and becomes laughable on courses with mandatory buggies where you also have to take a companion .

In a recent outing I had a companion (aka as caddie just in case someone thinks it was a playing partner 555)  , 50 year old , slow moving . toothless wonder trying to tweak my nipples and rub my crotch in the fucking fairway of the first hole .  I had to immediately put a stop to that and was left with an ugly face that now was overlayed with a sourpuss . 

The week before we were at Crystal Bay , where I had written down the companion number on a previous outing as she was pleasant to look at .

Regretably when I phoned to book her I was told Crystal Bay no longer takes caddy bookings . On arrival we were faced with 4 of the ugliest collection of companions I had seen , ever. I ended up with the least objectionable of the 4 . On entering to pay we were greeted by the hot cashier at check in . This girl is very attractive and the lads make a point of saying hello whenever they play Crystal Bay . She informed us that it was now the golfers responsibility to get the phone number from the companion so we could book directly with the lady . Wonder how long before this trend catches on .

For the record i have companions  ask me to book them next time because . with me , one of the easiest jobs , for what they are paid , in Thailand is easier still . I let them know I don't want the handsome man crap. Just be pleasant and keep up . 300 baht tip , money to buy their own drink and they usually put the money in their pocket  and we part smiling . They are smiling because they had a stress free relaxed day and I don;t feel like I paid to look an unattractive , wrinkly old face all day . I have a few caddies I book at select courses and it is probably the only reason i don't give up on golf in Thailand . Being an Ex-Pat golf is my main recreation for the months I winter here so I am pretty much a guaranteed round twice a week . 

You would think that more companions would catch on to the value of golfers booking them on a regular basis . I have never seen a companion give out some kind of business card so the golfer could easily book them next time . Usually they write down their number for you . a few have asked to put their number in my phone but I explain  Tilak  might have an issue with that 555. 

I may be in the minority when it comes to companions but it sure would be nice to have the option of not taking one . 

Jeezuz maxtroy...you must be a grumpy dude to play a round of golf with.

Never seen such a rant over caddies. 

You say "99% are no where near caddies"....

You also say "clearly there's no training for these companions" as you call them.

Me and my mates have been golfing around Pattaya for 9 years, now doing 2 trips per year and we've had maybe 4 or 5 bad experiences with caddies, mostly being too young (14 or 15), but I can say quite honestly we almost always get a group of cuties, with generally good English and ALWAYS just a barrel of laughs.

And...they know their stuff. Excellent reading of greens, always tell us where the trouble is off the tee and , after a couple of holes, can pick a club for us because they have picked up on our club distances.

Calling them "simple villages girls" is pretty poor form on your part.

Maybe you've just been very very unlucky in your caddie allocation, me and my mates go out and have an absolute ball every time we play golf in Thailand..some of the sledging and banter from these girls is priceless.

Lighten up mate...you might even start to enjoy your golf 

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

No shit, scubascuba3? .. they f#ckin' did it again? .. unbelieveable! .. do you know which bank?

Reply better late than never? I don't know which bank, another golfer told me who seemed pretty confident about it.

I have had good caddies, who know their stuff and bad caddies who don't have a clue. I think the training depends on the golf club ... and never had a bad one at any of the Siam courses. Others, including up market Laem Chabang have been hit and miss.            

My favourite caddy came up with the funniest thing I have ever heard.

As she stays with me sometimes, and after a poor day on the golf course she says .... "come to bed tee ruk ... no OB here! " ...    I nearly fell over laughing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 3:11 AM, Kim Jong Il said:

I'm starting to plan my trip to Pattaya at the back end of the year and I'm planning for a 5 or 6 month trip. I'm just wondering what the typical cost is for a round of golf these days? Should I bring my own clubs or rent when I'm there? Any info much appreciated.

I play around 12 times a year in 2 x 15 day trips.

this is my system.

I team up with the Growling swan in soi chaipoon or the Links bar in soi buakhao

both offer similar services as follows:

- they store clubs

- meet at bar at about 8am.

- their bus to the course. 250b

- players divided into groups either there or before we go.1200- 2000b+ for the course inc cart and caddy

- normally play single Stableford competition 250b

- back to the bar- free dinner and presentation.

- do it all again 2-3 days later.

cost varies according to the course but it's all listed on the pattaya sports club website.

I allow 3000 b for the day.

http://pattayasports.org/news/psc-golf-bar-news/

whilst you can get away with it once or twice its better to be a member of PSC so you can get the course discounts - sometimes the clubs ask for the card.

re caddies - I don't mind the caddies - they seem mostly to know what they are doing and are quite helpful - also this place is pretty inexpensive over all so i don't mind giving a bit back to the locals.

if you get one that's a bit lazy and won't give you reads etc you just pull them into line after the first hole and it's all good.

the golf can be slow enough - I would hate to be out there letting a bunch of old, grumpy , and sometimes drunk felangs wandering around unsupervised.

the game would take 6 hours.

I will be there in 2 weeks partaking again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the information. Looks like I shall bring my clubs and join up one of the bars / societies.

Are the courses strict on footware.....do I need to bring proper golf shoes.

Thanks guys for all the information. Looks like I shall bring my clubs and join up one of the bars / societies.
Are the courses strict on footware.....do I need to bring proper golf shoes.

Trainers are ok, no one is checking them. In fact some guys wear spikes that damage the greens.

• 6 months later...

So I've finally arrived and staying in Jomtien, at least for the first two months. After that I may move to Pattaya, just depends on how much I like it here.

Anyone got any recommendations as to which, if any, bars in Jomtien have kind of golfing association. I'm not what you would call a 'good' golfer as I haven't played in quite a while, but I'm not a hacker and slasher either. 

38 minutes ago, Kim Jong Il said:

So I've finally arrived and staying in Jomtien, at least for the first two months. After that I may move to Pattaya, just depends on how much I like it here.

Anyone got any recommendations as to which, if any, bars in Jomtien have kind of golfing association. I'm not what you would call a 'good' golfer as I haven't played in quite a while, but I'm not a hacker and slasher either. 

If you can actually make a par 2-3 times a round you have no worries about the quality of your golf.  The only issue is finding a compatible group.  I play with several and get along with all of them.  But each has it's quirks and style.  

I like to play with groups that don't amble.  What  mean is I don't like waiting on every shot because some guy ahead of me is on vacation and thinks it's OK to take 5.5 hours to play 18.  I'm not in a rush, it's just that I don't keep rhythm standing around a lot.  And some groups are stricter than others regarding lies etc.  

I don't play out of Jomtien so can't comment on their groups.  Just sign up to an event at the nearest bar and take it from there.  Most groups are OK with this

.  And some groups are stricter than others regarding lies etc.  

If you are playing in a competition with money then you have to be strict with lies etc otherwise you are cheating. If you aren't competing then tee it up for all i care or move the ball to the fairway

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you are playing in a competition with money then you have to be strict with lies etc otherwise you are cheating. If you aren't competing then tee it up for all i care or move the ball to the fairway

No argument here.  But some people think gimmes and rolling the ball is OK.  Honestly I can't think of any in the Pattaya area and may be attributing this from my play here in Scottsdale where the rules of golf seem to be more like guidelines than actual rules.  Some of the drops I see are ridiculous.  But as the winner gets all of $5 and all I'm looking for is people to play with I mind my own business and play it down.  :o

No argument here.  But some people think gimmes and rolling the ball is OK.  Honestly I can't think of any in the Pattaya area and may be attributing this from my play here in Scottsdale where the rules of golf seem to be more like guidelines than actual rules.  Some of the drops I see are ridiculous.  But as the winner gets all of $5 and all I'm looking for is people to play with I mind my own business and play it down.  [emoji33]
I see dodgy drops regularly, i always keep an eye out and tell them. Surprising that even low handicappers claim to not know how to drop

14 hours ago, Kim Jong Il said:

Jomtien golf play out of Frasers 3 times per week. See the link below, details on bottom of page

http://www.fraserspattaya.com/sports.html

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
21 hours ago, fatjack1 said:
No argument here.  But some people think gimmes and rolling the ball is OK.  Honestly I can't think of any in the Pattaya area and may be attributing this from my play here in Scottsdale where the rules of golf seem to be more like guidelines than actual rules.  Some of the drops I see are ridiculous.  But as the winner gets all of $5 and all I'm looking for is people to play with I mind my own business and play it down.  emoji33.png

I see dodgy drops regularly, i always keep an eye out and tell them. Surprising that even low handicappers claim to not know how to drop

Yeah.  I admit, I learned golf playing casual in the USA.  I didn't really read the rules of golf. I became a single digit (dodgy?) player before I visited Thailand the first time.

Learning the rules and closely enforcing them was an eye opener.  Sometimes people are mad because knowledge of the rules occasionally works to your advantage.  But I now play the rules the best I can.  And yes in the groups I play with in Thailand we play real drops.  I particularly love the drop where people walk up parallel to where they think their ball landed in a hazard to take a drop instead of where it crossed into the hazard.  Ahem sir, that would be back there,

Archived