IGNORED

The ending of this political turmoil

mondero

Everybody is hoping that the airport gets cleared as soon as possible. But the fact of the matter is that all depends on how political events develop from now on. Up to now, neither PAD nor PM has shown signals or demonstrations of giving up. However, I cannot see how a goverment can remain in power for long without having the army under control, being obliged to move its headquarters from the capital to Chiang Mai, and without having a clear supportive action from the police since its chief was demoted recently.

So if I'm right, the point is how long will it take before the PM resign or a coup be staged. If it takes weeks, might be bad news for travellers like me (My trip in 20 days).

What do you think?

Everybody is hoping that the airport gets cleared as soon as possible. But the fact of the matter is that all depends on how political events develop from now on. Up to now, neither PAD nor PM has shown signals or demonstrations of giving up. However, I cannot see how a goverment can remain in power for long without having the army under control, being obliged to move its headquarters from the capital to Chiang Mai, and without having a clear supportive action from the police since its chief was demoted recently.

So if I'm right, the point is how long will it take before the PM resign or a coup be staged. If it takes weeks, might be bad news for travellers like me (My trip in 20 days).

What do you think?

The Thais are only too conscious of the loss of revenue and international reputation this incident is generating. I think that the situation will be ended rapidly, by which means I do not know. I suggested in another post that the King might make a public call for a resolution, or at least an end to the Airport blockade. Although he has no direct political authority his influence on the national opinion is immense. He ended a coup that had turned violent in 1992 by telling off both parties while they kneeled before him on TV. I really haven't looked into the individual motivations of all concerned so I'm just thinking in general terms.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

As I understand it, there are 4,000 PAD protesters occupying BKK airport. Half of whom are women and elderly folks! These people are not highly trained terrorists. It boggles my mind trying to comprehend how the govt let such a ragtag group of people takeover one of the nations most important assets. The whole PAD thing has been going on for 6 months. Why did the army or govt not think of protecting the airports before this happened? What do they do all day? Where is the military? Were they paid to turn a blind eye to these developments? They had many months to plan counter-insurgency actions. I love Thailand but the govt is a joke and no corporation is going to want to situate a meaningful presence in a country where the rule of law does not exist and is not enforced by the govt. I depart for Patts/Phuket on December 26th and will still go if my plane can land. JAL does not fly into Phuket or Chiang Mai and have canceled all flights to Bangkok for now. I will def not spend any time in Bangkok as I don't think it will be safe. Has anyone noticed any upturn in political-related violence in Patts or Phuket?

I suggested in another post that the King might make a public call for a resolution, or at least an end to the Airport blockade. Although he has no direct political authority his influence on the national opinion is immense. He ended a coup that had turned violent in 1992 by telling off both parties while they kneeled before him on TV. I really haven't looked into the individual motivations of all concerned so I'm just thinking in general terms.

I have been wondering why the King has been so quiet so far. I know think it is to do with the Queen and the fact that she is a big supporter of PAD. From what I have been led to believe she is helping fund this operation. I said to a non bar girl on msn today that surely things will be ok for Friday i.e. the Kings birthday. She I dont care about the Kings birthday! Its the first time I have ever heard any Thai say anything remotely detrimental about the King. Quite shocked me. This is a serious situation for the future of Thailand.