Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Capital increasingly tense as coup rumours spread

danubius

I guess it's going to come to a showdown...

Anupong said to have exchanged phone ultimatums with Somchai

The situation in the capital was extremely tense yesterday as coup rumours prompted reaction from anti-government protesters and their rivals. Both camps mobilised their supporters for street fighting, while government and business offices suggested their staff get out early.

Newspaper offices were flooded with phone calls inquiring or giving "tips" about an imminent coup. A source claimed Army chief Anupong Paochinda had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to exchange ultimatums.

A blink could result in the prime minister's stepping down or the removal of the Army commander.

Anupong, who was publicly silent, reportedly cancelled a meeting of the military-run TV Channel 5 board of directors and met Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.

The coup rumour sounded true, as armoured vehicles and tanks were seen in many locations, including the Chang Building and the NBT and Modernine television stations.

However, television stations ran texts stating that the Army had announced it would mobilise its personnel and vehicles in Bangkok as part of a study course for military students.

Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the military would not undertake a coup since it would not end the political conflict. Some anti-coup groups might come out to resist and that could result in bloodshed, he said.

The spokesman said in a press conference that the Army chief, as deputy director of the Interior Security Operations Command (Isoc), had told provincial Isoc agencies to keep a close eye on any violence.

Amid the rumours of the coup and the exchange of ultimatums, the Cabinet, meeting in Chiang Mai, rushed to clarify its position that it would not consider purging the military top brass.

Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua, speaking at an unexpected press conference, pleaded with soldiers to remain in their barracks. The announcement inevitably added weight to the coup rumours.

Natthawut said he had come out of the Cabinet meeting to make the announcement because there was "high speculation" about a coup.

The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, meanwhile, was cautious, suggesting the coup rumours could be a decoy designed to distract the protesters at Suvarnabhumi Airport before an operation to disperse the crowd.

People Power Party MP Suthin Klangsang told a press conference that citizens would be asked to obstruct any coup attempt, such as using their vehicles to block tanks taking part in a putsch.

There were also grave concerns that a coup attempt could spark nationwide violence involving pro- and anti-Thaksin Shinawatra mobs, as well as the military.

Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD leader, said: "A coup is the least of my concerns now. I'm worried about violence, because nobody seems to be in full control at the moment."

Some company and government office workers were told to leave home early, adding to the widespread anxiety.

Workers at ad agency Ogilvy & Mather were instructed to clear the office by 4pm. DTAC's head office issued a statement saying it was closing until the situation returned to normal.

bloody hell and I'm supposed to come to LOS on the 12th December! I guess it's not that much of a land of smiles at the moment...come on, get your act together, stop this nonsense!

that's why ole' somchai is hold up in CM right now, a govt. in exile effectively :)

^ no worries, the airports will be open by then

40654683tp6.gif

A government spoked has issued a statement today saying "he will not return to Bangkok for fear of a coup". That is straight from the mouth of his staff sexretary.

You can read all the latest and breaking news from RSS feeds on one page here

http://thailand-websites.net/thailand-news.html

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

that's why ole' somchai is hold up in CM right now, a govt. in exile effectively :wacko:

^ no worries, the airports will be open by then

yeah I guess the airport would have opened by then, but I'm still a little bit worried of what other troubles might there be...or everyone is living life as usual from Patts down?

^ well right now ... it's normalcy all the way where i am.

it's all gonna kick off tonight so lets see what tomorrow brings. i'm still terribly optimistic about it all. got my yellow & red t-shirts to hand just in case

40654683tp6.gif

Hope the political situtation stablises soon...I am keeping my fingers crossed as well since my arrival at Patts is on the Dec 10...

CHEERS!!! :wacko:

bplaa yai gin bplaa lek

Flew in to Singapore instead as my flight to bkk was cancelled .Waiting here for the next flight to bkk which we are advised might be at the earliest Sunday if not later. I have a good contact here who works in the Foregn Affairs office who advised me that things are so fluid in bkk anything could happen . They seem to be leaning towards a coup attempt by the army chief .

Edited by Vindiesel