IGNORED

Kodi Boxes and VPN

Mad Max

I have a Kodi box here in the UK to watch all the various movies and series, but I read that most Internet Service Providers (IPS) are going to be writing to everyone they suspect of using Kodi boxes to warm them it's illegal and that they may prosecute people and impose massive fines.

Can anyone advise how I can use VPN to avoid the ISP from identifying that someone is using a Kodi box?

Max

Hello,

Its not a kodi box -its a tv box with a kodi app on it.

The ISP don't have any power to prosecute you and any letters would be to advise (which you don't have to take)

In the news some bloke is being prosecuted for (i believe?) selling a tv box advertised as fully loaded with kodi (He pleaded not guilty)

Don't confuse the word 'may' with 'will' as in 'they may prosecute' and 'they will prosecute' 

If i get a letter from my ISP provider about this I'll treat it with the same contempt as I do with the TV tax letter, the water tax and a few other tax letters I get.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to use a VPN there's probably step by step guides on youtube  :WinkGrin1:

Hello,

Its not a kodi box -its a tv box with a kodi app on it.

The ISP don't have any power to prosecute you and any letters would be to advise (which you don't have to take)

In the news some bloke is being prosecuted for (i believe?) selling a tv box advertised as fully loaded with kodi (He pleaded not guilty)

Don't confuse the word 'may' with 'will' as in 'they may prosecute' and 'they will prosecute'

If i get a letter from my ISP provider about this I'll treat it with the same contempt as I do with the TV tax letter, the water tax and a few other tax letters I get.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to use a VPN there's probably step by step guides on youtube :WinkGrin1:

Thank you. I will keep in mind what you said and look on YouTube

I use a VPN service for most of my internet traffic including Kodi.  I don't know what the laws are in your country, but in the US ISPs can ban you from their services for various reasons regardless of what written law is since you agree to a "Terms of Service" contract when you use their services.  Whether or not your ISP will actually ban you for streaming pirated content is a hard question to answer because it varies from country to country and ISP to ISP.

Using VPNs for you internet traffic is a good idea to hide your traffic for privacy reasons.  This is the main reason why I use a VPN for almost all my traffic.  Although, some sites will not allow you to use a VPN such as DIA.  In fact, Thai Friendly will ban your account if you use a known VPN to connect to their site, so be careful.

The VPN service I use is a paid service called Private Internet Access (PIA).  There are also many other paid options as well as free options.  The reason I use a paid service from PIA is because they have lots of servers around the world with decent bandwidth and also have applications for tons of platforms.  You can also opt not to use an application and setup a VPN through the OS or even a router that's capable, but that's a bit more advanced.  Using the application is the easiest way.

The number one thing to look for when choosing a VPN, paid or free, is whether or not they keep logs. If a VPN keeps logs then it defeats the purpose of seeking anonymity/privacy, as your usage history can be passed on if requested.

I used to use PIA, Private Internet Access, very good service and doesn't keep logs. However, it's a paid service, not free.

Archived