IGNORED

Do I Need a Tourist Visa?

macca57

Hi Gents

I am going to Pattaya at end of February for 3 weeks. My last two trips were within the last year and were both with entry stamp for 30 days on arrival.

May 2016 for 20 days

October 2016 for 21 days

As this will be my third trip in 9 months I am not sure if I should apply for a tourist visa to be on the safe side, or will I be OK?

Many Thanks

No worries, you can even travel 10 times per year to Thailand for 1 month as long as you arrive by plane.

I don't foresee a problem given you have only been twice in 2016

However Magic40's advice is incorrect, and very misleading. There are many threads on this that are worth reading and you will see that Thailand have tightened up with regards to regular visitors

I and many of my colleagues who worked month on month off have been stopped at immigration and told we must obtain a tourist visa from own country or entry will be refused on next visit

However Magic40's advice is incorrect, and very misleading. There are many threads on this that are worth reading and you will see that Thailand have tightened up with regards to regular visitors

I and many of my colleagues who worked month on month off have been stopped at immigration and told we must obtain a tourist visa from own country or entry will be refused on next visit

I guess this was not before early-2014 then...

No worries, you can even travel 10 times per year to Thailand for 1 month as long as you arrive by plane.

People have had issues arriving at an airport a lot less times than this. Do not expect to be able to do this at the current time.

It is unlikely that the OP will have any problems. Although I would say that if it is convenient you could get a currently free tourist visa for complete sound of mind.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Is there any evidence that you need to get one from your 'own country'? I haven't seem anything to suggest that this is the case. Perhaps it is a misunderstanding due to the limited English skills of the immigration officer?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I did 30 day exempt trips June and September 2016 and just arrived 18th January without any problems.

Scumbag......my quote button not working.

You raise a good point and I am unsure what the answer is. I was flying to and from Oman on a monthly basis and I am almost certain the immigration officer told me I had to get a tourist visa from my country of residence as in UK. I flew back to UK and did just that.

Are you suggesting I could have obtained a tourist visa from Oman, despite having a UK passport?

Scumbag......my quote button not working.

You raise a good point and I am unsure what the answer is. I was flying to and from Oman on a monthly basis and I am almost certain the immigration officer told me I had to get a tourist visa from my country of residence as in UK. I flew back to UK and did just that.

Are you suggesting I could have obtained a tourist visa from Oman, despite having a UK passport?

I have got non-imm type O visas from a number of countries (while working there) other than Australia so I see no reason why they wouldn't issue tourist visas unless things have recently changed. I have seen nothing to suggest that it has changed and I believe that people are still travelling to neighbouring countries to get them.

Hi Gents

I am going to Pattaya at end of February for 3 weeks. My last two trips were within the last year and were both with entry stamp for 30 days on arrival.

May 2016 for 20 days

October 2016 for 21 days

As this will be my third trip in 9 months I am not sure if I should apply for a tourist visa to be on the safe side, or will I be OK?

Many Thanks

Three trips a year is very much fair..Makes sense to immigration guys that you need to go home,earn money and then come back again..Last time I met one of my friend who did 4 trips in last 7 months ...No questions asked..Depends on the immigration official, if she is a women then no problem at all...Even if its a strict guy, I dont think he is going to question you for making three trips a year...It simple ..If you have completed your previous trips without any issue I mean exited on time , then no problem..When they type your passport number ..Your previous Thailand travel history pops up on their screen..If you exited before time on your last visits then no problem at all...

I have got non-imm type O visas from a number of countries (while working èthere) other than Australia so I see no reason why they wouldn't issue tourist visas unless things have recently changed. I have seen nothing to suggest that it has changed and I believe that people are still travelling to neighbouring countries to get them.

Tourist Visas are now not treated the same way as Non Immigrant.A fallout from the bombings.Some Embassies in Asia will I understand no longer issue them.

The month about workers are the EXACT reasoning behind the new multi entry tourist visa

Unfortunately the typical myopic Thai foresight overlooked the bona fide 3 or 4 times a year genuine tourist who the application requirements (letter off employer etc) are wholly inapplicable for, and of course the fee which if 6 months = 2 tourist trips is very disproportionate  to the 'old style' multi entry TV stamp  

I'm just back from my third trip in the last twelve months.

March - September-December. No issues at all.

All trips were less than thirty days

Hi Gents

May 2016 for 20 days

October 2016 for 21 days

Many Thanks

You're good to go visa exempt based on your plan and recent history. It's not about how many trips you have been to Thailand but how many days you've been in the Kingdom.

The rule is, so long as you don't exceed 90 days in any 6 month period you're OK with a Visa Exemption stamp.

Ireland is on the list of countries that this rule applies. The list has now expanded to include 52 countries.

image.png

Archived