Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying a few Bottles of Red in Jomtien

ChiFlyer

Trouble is, you're only allowed 1 litre of wine so can only bring one bottle.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The Tree Tops sometimes have good value promotions, where on Thepprasit is liquor place, which end?

On Thepprasit, close to the Thepprasit/Thappraya corner, on the left side as you look towards Thappraya is a liquor wholesaler. They have a reasonable selection of reds in their stock, and will sell a few bottles to walk-in customers. Prices seem competitive to Food Mart.

grit

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 11:44 PM, grityorteef said:

On Thepprasit, close to the Thepprasit/Thappraya corner, on the left side as you look towards Thappraya is a liquor wholesaler. They have a reasonable selection of reds in their stock, and will sell a few bottles to walk-in customers. Prices seem competitive to Food Mart.

grit

Agreed, but the place is not temperature controlled and the mid-range selection is a little short of Poseidon and Treetops. IMO

• 1 year later...
On 16/04/2017 at 10:27, ChiFlyer said:

Agreed, ......

After having been in Jomtien for most of the last year, I have changed my opinions on where to get your best red value.

• I no longer shop at Possiedon as their selection has become both pricier and more limited.
  • Food Mart now carries some decent NZ Pinot Noir at about 650. Not bad IMO, but on any given day it may or may not be available.
  • I find Jacob's Creek Cabernet/Shiraz to be adequate, but drinkable. It goes for close to 700 at Tops on Thappraya, but the GF found me a place near the arch where it goes for 550. It's a small Inidan (I think) store called Super Market just past the arch on the North side of the street.
  • The Wine Collection, next to Aquapazza on Thappraya, has a lot of sales going on. I bought two bottles of Cotes de Rhome for 1300 tonight and it is quite tasty. This location is near Aquapazza, The Wooden Box, and La Auberge. So if you are in the area, you may want to check out what is on sale.

btw - my Wooden Box salad was incredible tonight. :)

Really surprised no one has mentioned having a look in Makro and the other is the food store in the bottom of Central Plaza botj worth a look.

13 hours ago, Czmate said:

Really surprised no one has mentioned having a look in Makro and the other is the food store in the bottom of Central Plaza botj worth a look.

I have strolled through the Central Plaza food store and thought their wine selection, although very good, was a little pricey. Also, I prefer to shop in Jomtien as that is where I live.

I like the Lindeman's collection of reds and whites, something for everyone there. I think they're all 599 Baht a bottle which is outrageous compared with the UK, but beggars can't be choosers.

BinSeriesRange-Shot540x500.ashx?la=en&sc

I've no idea if Food Mart does them, but they're readily available in Friendship and Big C. The shiraz is my favourite, but they're all very drinkable. There's a shiraz-cabernet and a cabernet-merlot too, so no need to get bored drinking the same wine all the time.

https://www.lindemans.com/wines/bin-series

• 5 months later...

I am partial to Red Pinot Noirs. In Thailand the only ones I find seem to be from NZ. Found one in Food Mart the other day that I really like. It is called Yealands. Not cheap at about 850 a bottle, but worth it to me as it is close to the more earthy Pinot Noirs from Oregon in the US that I am partial to.

Those of you like the more robust Cabs etc. would probably find it to be insipid, but I do enjoy the subtlety of the taste.

Silverlake Winery, might be something for you.

Just south of the floating market

On 03/02/2017 at 22:07, Jarrod2518 said:

Try the French Casks from Foodmart - I found them OK for table wine and good value. They are a lot better than Mount Clair. However, overall sourcing reasonable quality wine is a problem in most Asian countries. After getting caught with a few extra bottles of red by customs, the Selvin tops show up in the X-Ray baggage screening I now pack a few better quality cardboard casks, not the el cheapo variety. Last trip, about 4mths ago my checked in luggage was checked by X-ray - they did not show up.   

it is a risk but I bought 3 x box/bag of wine (9 ltr)  for xmas in my check in luggage .. the quality of wine in a bag has improved alot .. some good producers are bagging it now.  Severed it purpose for drinks in the room obviously the risk is yours  if your luggage is checked when you enter Thailand. 

Selection of bagged wine https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews-tastings/bag-in-box-wine-374182/

Archived